lola422

Help needed Please- Ross and Roberts- Council Tax

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3639 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hello . I am new to this site but have found so many things helpful and useful for managing my debt. However, my immediate concern is I have received a letter from Ross and Roberts for a council tax debt from 2009. The letter states that I must contact them within 14 days to pay the full amount or make an arrangement. I am unable to pay the full amount in one go, so need to make an arrangement. When I have contacted them on their main number I have been advised that I need to speak to the enforcement officer direct to make an arrangement. However, her mobile always goes direct to answer phone and she never calls back. Is this a ploy of theirs to avoid allowing an arrangement to be made so that they can in fact visit and place charges on the account. It's all so stressful, as I do not want to not pay, but I need to make an arrangement with them. Should I just send them a letter stating what I intend to pay or continue to keep trying to contact them by phone. Some of the things I have read about Ross and Roberts on this forum scares me, as I am a single Mum on my own and I know I would probably be intimidated and scared when they come to the house. Any help would be appreciated.

If they dont answer the phone then dont answer your door.

The bailiff will eventually have to hand the case back to the council, then you can set up an arrangement.

serendip is correct, you do not have to deal with them, however if you do owe the money to the council I suggest you pay direct to them, you can do this via their online payment system. It shows your willingness to pay. Just write to the council and let them know.

DO NOT SPEAK TO THEM AT ALL!.. Keep everything in letter. i have had dealings with these people and they are absolutely rubbish!!! They will add on charges galore and lie through their teeth that they visited you at certain times etc etc. You DO NOT have to speak to one of their enforecement officers and I strongly urge you not to!

If you owe this debt then you can contact the council and ask for them to take it back. If necessary get your MP involved. I have a thread on here somewhere as I successfully helped a flatmate to do this and he is now paying back the council. They only took it back once I wrote to my MP however (and cc'd the head of council into all written communication withR&R).

Also, do you won anything of value? If not then get a stat declaration done (£5 for solicitor to witness it) and send one to R&R and the head of the council. R&R will ignore it and still send someone round (they tried to ignore it and charge my friend for running a registration check for my other flatmates car in the drive - I had the BIGGEST smile on my face when I handed it to the bailiff who was blocking the drive with his car and told him it was delivered by hand. I also told him that as he was in a public place he was being filmed.... should have seen the thunder on his face when he drove off!)

Good luck