fyrus

redundant twice in 1 year by the same company

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3648 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi, this site was great for me when I had problems with my bank. Got that all sorted! I need some more help if anyone can give me some pointers or info...

Back in February, myself and some other people were told we were being made redundant. We were given information of the payments we would receive. I found out that the other guys were given a retention package to stay until October. I was not offered this package so when I asked HR, I was told that the other members of the team were key to the business and their experience was why the retention package was offered to them (I used to do the same role before moving into the role I'm now in).

Fair enough, I stopped fighting for the extra money being offered to the rest of the team. Another role (stand in team leader) was offered to me which I accepted I was given a letter telling me that I had found alternate employment within the company. One of the terms for this role was for me to take a 3 year pay freeze which became effective immediately which i was not told. I was under the impression that the pay freeze would start when I start the new role.

Because of this, I did not receive the annual pay rise which everyone in the company recieved.

I have been asking since April when training for my new role would begin but I did not get an answer.

On another note, when I accepted the team leader role thinking my job was safe, I applied for another position in the company back in June only to be told that I would not even get an interview even though the HR manager personally said its not that they doubt my abilty to perform in the role.

After many meeting requests regarding my new role, my manager agreed to a meeting (not formal), and I have just been told that the new role for me is no longer available but there would be a role as an operator in the warehouse due to the head count been down due to the warehouse manager leaving. I accepted this (nothing set in writing), because I have just moved to rented accomodation with my girlfriend and I need a job. Near the end of the informal meeting with my manager, he asked me why I wanted the team leader role to which I replied that I felt it is the next logical step for me to take and one where I could apply my intelligence. He then went on and commented that sometimes I'm too intelligent!

Another meeting was set for the 17/08/10 attended by me, my manager and the HR manager. I was told that there is no position available for me anywhere in the company and I will be made redundant.

Will the company now have to serve me notice again with a new redundancy package? Am I entitled to ask for the pay freeze to be lifted and ask for the pay rise I would have received to be back dated (the other members of the team who are also being made redundant did receive the pay rise).

I just feel like I have been treated unfairly.

I'm not sure what rights I have so as I mentioned before any help would be appreciated.

Hi

Not a straight forward query as i don't know the selection criteria used to chose which roles / staff would be redundant.

On the face of it, when you accepted the 2nd role (as a suitable alternate employment opportunity), even accepting it with the pay freeze, means the next logical step would have been to 'confirm you in that post' - was this done?

Either way, assuming you were 'confirmed in post', and circumstances were such that the company had to go through another round of redundancies, you should certainly have been subject to the usual formal redundancies notices. However, the part that is confusing me is that you say you were told ' that there was no position for you and that you were being made redundant' - this sounds to me that you failed to meet the particular selection criteria for that role, rather than the role 'no longer existing' - which one is it?

If the role disappeared, then you should be asking why it had been offered in the first place - there may of course be valid reasons for this disappearance, but you will need to clarify the position before I could comment further.

Your last part of the query, iro the pay freeze being lifted - I would say that the conditional offer was partly connected to agreeing a pay freeze, which you agreed to, so I am somewhat confused as to why the role is no longer available........

Happy to answer questions, but need more information.

Hi Thanks for the reply, I will try and clear up a few things for you.

WRT selection, the logistics department are being made redundant due to the roles being centralised at our branch.

I was moved into the logistics department back in 2007 to cover for illness. (I was never included in the logistics head count due to me only being in the role to cover). I was offered a job in the warehouse dealing with transport bookings late 2008 and I moved into the warehouse for this role (I am included in the warehouse head count).

After fighting to keep a job, I was offered a stand in team leader role due to start the end of Ooctober as the current stand in team leader was moving to another department. The current stand in team leader has now changed his mind so this role is no longer available to me and I have been told that im facing redundancy due to the logistics team still being made redundant (they have just been served notice). I was told there is no movement in the company which would allow me to move into a role and escape redundancy.