Jump to content

benefits and studying full-time at uni


style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4173 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts



If anyone could help with their experience or knowledge of facts I would be really grateful.


Partner and I both lost our jobs, we ran our own tiny business in our own time. I am now employed by this business paying myself a small amount each week, we received full HB (privately rented)and Tax Credits for 2 children.


My partner is starting uni this year, full-time, thought it better he do something constructive after losing his job of 9 years and he can't find anything else.


How will this affect our benefits. I've looked into housing benefit which asks for notification of all other benefits apart from studying full-time at uni. I will remain working for the business for a small fee until I can secure a job.


Thanks for reading.

I love CAG!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi lihi.


Normally university students cannot claim HB and CTB because they get student loans which the government consider to be 'enough' financially (don't know how they came to this decision, max of £6k per year isn't much at all!). However your situation might not necessarily fall under this as you are a couple and you have children.


You would have to notify the council and HMRC about this because presumably he will be eligible for student finance and this would affect the amount of money you have coming in. As for how this would affect your benefits I can't say. Could you give them a ring? They should be able to give you rough figures whilst you wait for your change of circs to be processed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The advice I have come across is:


Where one partner is a student and the other is on a low income then any HB claim should be made in the non-student partner's name.


Any grants/bursaries/loans available to the student must be taken as they will still be counted as income by the Council even if they have not been taken. I think this is to prevent the situation where you could have students not taking the loan and instead claiming benefits in order to escape the situation of having to pay money back at a later date.


You should give the Council Tax Dept proof that your partner is a student in order to qualify for the 25% single person reduction on your bill.

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...