ClueLessNoob

Are UK bank customers with less than 3 year in the contry being discriminated?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3329 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hello,

I am new to the forum and was wondering if someone here has an answer to my question.

My wife and I life since 1 1/2 years in the UK. We relocated from the US and I got an HSBC account immediately to be able to receive pay cheques.

Now we are thinking of opening an account with Santander for my wife and we are being told she could only open a basic account since our credit history shows less then 3 years of living in the UK. We could apply for another account but we were told that we would likely be declined which in turn would be negative for our credit history.

Somehow we feel discriminated by the UK banks. Am I misunderstanding something or is this discriminating practice just something a foreigner in the country has to life with?

Any advise is highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

It's not discrimination just a fact of life I'm afraid, it doesn't matter whether you're a foreigner or a UK subject the finance industry will look at your financial history going back at least five years and because you have recently begun to have a credit history your 'credit score' will be low.

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT

Our credit score is actually not low. I pulled the report from Experian. So the only reason it gets rejected is the fact the we don't live here for min 3 years and that sounds like discrimination to me.

To be honest even if you complained all they would do is claim they are adhering to the 'Money Laundering Act'.

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, guess that is the good right. Do you have by any chance a link to the money laundry act so I could have a look into it. I am honestly considering consulting with a lawyer on that. This is the first country (out of 5) I am working in that has such practices in place.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi

Welcome to The Consumer Action Group.

I am just letting you know that as you haven't had any replies to your post yet, it might be better if you post your message again in an appropriate sub-forum. You will get lots of help there.

Also take some time to read around the forum and get used to the layout. It is a big forum and takes a lot of getting used to.

Once you start to find your way, you will soon realise that it is fairly easy to get round and to get the help you need.

It can be bit confusing at first.

Please be advised that my time will be limited for the next few weeks.Thanks for your understanding.