bailliff just seized my car but still owe finance on it

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4999 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am pretty sure that a bailiff can not seize an item or care with finance on. people with more experience with this sort of thing should be along soon. how much was outstanding on the council tax? How much is the car worth?

If there are spelling mistakes on my posts, I blame the gremlins tapping my keys. :eek:

Hope you didnt give the bailiff the keys.

If the finance is with a main dealer then any new owner will have it impounded the moment they take it to a dealership trying to get new keys.

Report the car stolen to police, they will say its a civil matter so ask for an incident number, then contact your insurer and finance company and give them the incident number. The finance company will flag the car nicked on HPI and its will go nowhere. The bailiff might try to export it, but HM Customs will impound it along with the lorry that is transporting it.

Its an unlawful levy so you are not liable for any fees for moving or selling the car and you can claim conpensation from the council who instructed ther bailiff for the deprivation of its use. Keep all taxi receipts and if you choose to replace the car, you may charge the council the replacement cost of the car on a like-for-like basis.