• Tweets

• Doc 04-19-2024 11-01-51-merged-compressed.pdf good morning.    9 pages attached.    thank you  UCM
    • Hi I was being supplied my ovo after unknowingly being swapped from SSE.  My issues began when we had a smart meter fitted and our bills almost doubled overnight - we at the time assumed we were just paying not enough until then and just continued to pay the excess bills each. Month.    I would from time to time contact ovo and get faced with a call centre on South Africa of the most rude agents who would just hang up after hours of wait and I could not even get an acknowledgement of an issue with my meter.  At one point we were not in the property for like 4 months and the bills were coming just as high!  It was at this point I was sure something is not right and ovo only care to send bailiffs and started threatening us with a pay as you go meter despite me taking out a 3.5k loan to pay of my outstanding balance.  Around 1600 each on both gas and electricity.  This is where its gets really bad -  the very same day they sent me out a new bill saying the money paid already was only to cover up until the November previous and because its now Feb we owe another 1k.   By that August this had risen to over 3k and I still couldn't get anyone to even acknowledge a fault let alone fix it.    In despair I tried to swap suppliers and to my surprise octopus accepted us because even tho the debt is owed we are trying deal with.  During our time with them the bill was coming only on my wife's name as I was responsible for other bills and she this one - now that we owe them 3k they have magically started adding my name as well as my wife's to the same debt to apply double pressure and its showing on my experiwn report now with a question mark and 2700 showing in grey -  This was my wife's debt which we dispute we owe yet the have now sent me letter with both our names on from oriel and past due credit debt agencies - is this illegal and how can I get them to take my. Name of this and leave on wife's name as its so unfair they give us a both a defualt for wife's debt which we dispute anyway.    In the end about 3 weeks ago I wrote an email to their ceo and rishi sunak and low and behold for the first time in our history with ovo someone who spoke English contacted us and said she will look into our claim.    I explained to her that we feel our meter is faulty and despite me contacting them using WhatsApp email and phone I still have not got anyone to acknowledge a fault even. And that I dispute I Owe anything as my son was in hospital for 3 months and we stayed with him so house was empty and still. They were sending us super sized bills more than when we started at home.  She promised to investigate and a few days later replied that she is sorry for the poor customer service and offered us £50 compensation - however she also. Mentioned that she's attached statements for us confirming the payment for 3k I made was only up until Nov and in Feb despite me pay 3.5k nearly it's correct for them to bill. Me. Another £900 the very same day and she did not agree our meter was faulty and therfore the debt stands and she will not be calling it bcak from past due credit.  During my time with my new supplier post ovo, octopus I requested tehy check my. Meters because I felt they were faulty and over charging me and I got excellent response asking me for further details which I supplied and I got a. Response bcak within days to say my meter was indeed faulty and octopus have now remotely repaired it.   I then contacted the energy ombudsman and explained my situation how she at ovo tried to fob me off and demand I apy money we don't feel we owe due to faulty equipment we reported but ovo had to process or mechanism to deal with it or lodge complaint even without having to cc their ceo and our pm. And now I feel sick to think both husband and wife will get a 6  year default for debt which have a validity of a questionable nature.    I explained all this to the energy ombudsman and they accepted my case and I explained to them that my new supplier found my fault which ovo refueed to accept - I've uploaded the email from new supplier to ombudsman showing we had a fault.    My. Question is is there anything I can upload in defence of my case to ombudsman before they decide outcome ina few weeks    All advice greatly appreciated not only would I like advice on how to clear this debt but also how I can pursue ovo for compensation and deterrence for the future.  Thansk 
    • Thanks for the reply dubai 50 - if the statute is 10 years it has long passed - if it is 15 years i havea few months left. i shall ignore until it gets serious  An update - - I sent the letter to the bank in Dubai ( I did get delivery confirmation from Royal Mail)   - I have moved to a new address ( this is the address i gave to the bank in dubai)  - IDR are continuing to send Letters to the old address, which leads me to believe they are not in contact with the bank at all. - i have not replied to any correspondence digital or hard as they are non threatening ( as of yet).        
    • Your topic title was altered last June 23 by the owner of this forum in the interests of the forum Anyway well done on your result and thank you for concluding your topic, title updated.   Andy   .
    • So what    Why ? Consent Order/ Confidentiality ? This would be be invaluable to followers of your topic.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4993 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All! ok, some advice needed please.

Just had another letter though my door 'by hand' this morning from a sherforce body. it had no money amount on it but last time they were chasing over 16k from a 10k ccj.

Now, this sounds a lot because it is a hell of a lot of money. but it isnt money I have borrowed and spent, it is for an alleged water leak from the property I manage to next doors hotel. I have had no receipts to make insurance claim and no visits from the hotel owner. just a court order which they gained 'behind my back' so as I could not defend.

I have tried setting aside the order but the judge was very unpleasant to deal with and everything i seem to do needs more things to undo (certainly with the courts!)

OK, first things first please. What can and will these sherforce people do?? ( I already had a notice of seisure from them 21 july )

Thanks, Nik

If you dont have the money there is little sherforce can do.

The case will go back to the creditor, and they will select alternative enforcement measures, most likely a charging order on your property.

Your post is not clear whether the debt is genuine, a water leak? If the water account is not yours then you dont have a liability for it. If you the case went to judgement and you were not informed of the hearing beforehand then you dont have a liability. A court has to be sure the defendant receives a notice of trial before judgement can be entered, but you cannot defend on those grounds if the an application for an interim charging order is made (an order made without telling you beforehand).

If you own a property, speak to a property conveyancer about having a TR1 (or TP1 as the case may be) ID1 and AP1 filed at HM Land Registry on your property, that will scupper an interim charging order if one is attempted.

Just had another letter though my door 'by hand' this morning from a sherforce body. it had no money amount on it but last time they were chasing over 16k from a 10k ccj.

Now, this sounds a lot because it is a hell of a lot of money. but it isnt money I have borrowed and spent, it is for an alleged water leak from the property I manage to next doors hotel.

Surely you must have noticed the work going on - did you ever ask what they were doing and who had given them permission to do it?

I have had no receipts to make insurance claim and no visits from the hotel owner. just a court order which they gained 'behind my back' so as I could not defend.

I gather you were adjudged "guilty" by Judgment by Default?

I have tried setting aside the order but the judge was very unpleasant to deal with and everything i seem to do needs more things to undo (certainly with the courts!)

Could you explain this a bit further, what did your application to the Court say?

OK, first things first please. What can and will these sherforce people do?? ( I already had a notice of seisure from them 21 july )

What have they seized?

Thanks, Nik

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Now, this sounds a lot because it is a hell of a lot of money. but it isnt money I have borrowed and spent, it is for an alleged water leak from the property I manage to next doors hotel. I have had no receipts to make insurance claim and no visits from the hotel owner. just a court order which they gained 'behind my back' so as I could not defend.

Thanks, Nik

My experience last year mirrors your predicament in many ways. I ended up with a CCJ (by default) and was uable to set-aside despite all of the solicitor/court papers being sent to a former address. My CCJ was for nearly £30,000 and came completely out the blue - a spurious personal injury claim.

After the quantum hearing was heard to decide the amount of damages/legal costs to be awarded, I endured a 3 hour interrogation (hearing to obtain information. I was able to prove that my basic priority outgoings exceeded my incomings. I offered to repay the CCJ at £1/month. Although I was told that this was "totally unacceptable", I am still paying this amount quarterly after 12 months without any enforcement taking place.

Moral of this story is: it's relatively easy to get a judgment (especially by default) but enforcing payment when the judgment debtor is unable to pay is far from easy.

Your CCJ has obviously been upgraded to a Writ of Fi-Fa and HCEOs instructed to enforce payment. As with ordinary bailiffs, they have no right of entry to your property. As long as you continue to prevent them from entering your property, hide your car and lock away any possessions that are outside your property (bearing in mind that I believe that they can force entry to a detached gararge/workshop etc), they will eventually get fed up and return the account to the judgment claimant - Nullo Bono. They will charge the claimant £60 for this. Just read up and be aware. HCEO's usually have more incentive to collect than ordinary bailiffs but if they can't gain access or levy, etc. they are pretty powerless. Their charges are horrendous - so whatever you do, DON'T let them in - don't give them any opportunity to fleece you.

I've just noticed that they have already levied -- what was it on?

The claiman't next step might be to obtain an order to obtain information, or they could hit you with a third party order - so ensure that your bank account balance remains low. (I don't believe they can garnish a joint acount.) They might even consider an attachment to earnings or a charging order.

Be prepared for a long seige!!!

There's probably lots more you can do, but one step at a time.

We're here to support you.

Kind regards

Impecunious!

Edited by impecunious
Misread original text

Hi Serendip,

Thanks for your reply!

the trickle of water in 2004 to next doors basement was brought to my attention by the tenant there and during that summer I had various pipes tested and fiddled with in my house while liasing with tenant but we were never sure where the underground leak came from (my place was fine as I had no basement). it was trickling on and off in their bathroom for a couple of months. then I heard no more and assumed it was sorted as I received no official letters or visits from the owner.

2007 I receive a copy of court judgement for claimant (in default) at my home (different address) from solicitors that had tried to contact me at the student house without success in 2006. I manage the student house and didnt live there but the water bills were in my name.

letters to these solicitors went back and forth for the next 1.5 yrs, with me stating 'unfair, wont pay' and they saying 'we want the money'.

Using N42 to set judgement aside in 2009 (a friend advised me to do this) I stated I was not aware of the hearing so could not defend myself and that I believed I was not at fault and not liable for the money owed.

This application was dismissed and appeal refused for reasons of delay and no particulars of defense given. I tried to appeal but got nowhere.

A High court enforcement bailiff appeared october 2008 (HCE logo) then no more til sherforce of late.

I started a claim on my previous house insurance between these bailiffs visits.

AAhhhhh, so much stressfull paperwork, why did the owner not just see me over that original summer and say he wanted to claim on my insurance!?!?!?

Sorry for all this blurb.......

Hi Ploddertom,

Thanks for your reply! They would have only replaced a couple of some tiling at most, so no, I did not know or notice what work they had done.

Sherforce have seized nothing but keep threatening to do so. I have given up talking to them and ignore all their calls now (I rang the first letter back on my mobile!) as they dont care what I have to say and only want the money.

Cheers!!

There is good news and there is bad news.

Good news is there little sherforce can do if you dont have the money. The solicitor has probably already done trace action and assessed the debtor to see if you can pay.

The bad news is, the water account is in your name, you agreed to take responsibility for the it and you are liable for the water pipe that carries water from the meter installed under the street to the property, even it if crosses someones property to reach yours. This has never been the case until the Water Industry Act passed responsilility for water pipes away from the water company to the bill payer.

If yuo did not agree to taking the water account in your name then ask fro a signed water supply agreement, if none then you can disregard the liability on both counts, a) no contract and b) no notice of issue sent to the defendant before commencment of proceedings.

Have you had an opportunity to check that the Writ of Fi Fa is actually "current", the Writ only lasts for a year but can be renewed - I assume it has been but it may be worth checking.

With the length of time this has been going on I would be asking why they haven't returned it to the Creditor as they are obviously not getting anywhere trying to enforce things.

If you have no cash or goods worth seizing you can still apply for a Stay of Execution on Form N244. This would stop Sherforce in their tracks. You could then apply for a redeterrmination of how much to pay by using Form N245 and offer a nominal sum per month. If you can't afford the Court fees then fill in Form EX160 for Fee Remission.

PT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for supporting words Impecunious!

Your situation sounds a nightmare too but a great result if it stays that way although unfair that you were put in that situation to start with. One thing I have learnt is that the law really is not fair though.

the TV is the only thing worth having really but still not worth the effort collecting. I just hope my housemates do not let anyone in by accident.

They havent actually levied on anything in particular as have not been inside but just state they have control of the goods. ?

Serendip, I have disregarded my liability on many different reasonings but no-one cares as long as they have the courts permission...... and the courts dont want to know either...

Thanks PT for the court forms to use, I may try these.

UPDATE.. Yesterday I sent a letter expressing my outrage to the hotel chain claimants on sherforces letters. I said I would have to go to press, whom i work for as I know not what else to do.

The Finance director called back this morning, obviously a bit worried, saying they new nothing as bought the chain 2 years ago. It is still their name as claimant tho so he is on the case and may offer some hope!!

If I'm right -- when you fail to satisfy a CCJ, the claimant can transfer up from County Court to High Court and apply for a Writ of Fi-Fa if amount of CCJ is over x amount (£600???) and then HCEOs can be instructed to enforce payment.

I'm sure there's a more official explanation

Impecunious!

the TV is the only thing worth having really but still not worth the effort collecting. I just hope my housemates do not let anyone in by accident.

Best make sure they are all aware, even though the only goods that can be seized are yours I can nearly guarantee they would seize all goods then make others prove they own the goods. Make sure they don't gain entry.

They havent actually levied on anything in particular as have not been inside but just state they have control of the goods. ?

It also says the moon is made of cheese, unless and until they can actually seize some goods the only thing they are in control of at present is fresh air.

UPDATE.. Yesterday I sent a letter expressing my outrage to the hotel chain claimants on sherforces letters. I said I would have to go to press, whom i work for as I know not what else to do.

The Finance director called back this morning, obviously a bit worried, saying they new nothing as bought the chain 2 years ago. It is still their name as claimant tho so he is on the case and may offer some hope!!

Use all the means at your disposal, the Claimant can stop this.

PT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]