• Tweets

• Thanks very much Bank. I have topped and tailed my LOC and printed off a copy which I shall post tomorrow by First Class post at my local post office and also obtain a proof of postage. I'll also email them a copy. I've opened a MoneyClaim account, and shall now begin work on my draft Particulars of Claim which I shall post here for your thoughts. And I shan't be using the Moderation service.
    • Yes, it struck me this morning that I'd got it wrong    - no involvement of UKPPO in any previous Tesco thread    - there would have been an entrance sign to a Tesco car park    - CCTV isn't something associated with Tesco car parks. Presumably whoever runs the car park has put CCTV at the electric, and probably BB, areas, done absolutely nothing to stop abuse, and then rubs their hands in glee every time the CCTV catches a motorist out. You can pay £60 and this will go away. Or you can defy UKPPO and rely on their non-respect of POFA, consideration period, etc., should they be daft enough to do court later down the line.  We would support you all the way.
    • thats not the way to do it sorry. sorry so what is your problem? that vanquis paid the £560 or that they are now chasing it? how old is this debt? dx  
    • If you visited Qatar you could be detained at the border, if the debt has been notified.  If you are only in transit and do not seek to cross border into Qatar you might be ok, but you may want to seek formal advice about this.
    • Howdy, I had a short lived credit card with Vanquis that I did not need. I paid it off in full and called them and closed it with the person at the other end. 2 months later they started sending me messages about late payments, I called them and to find out that the card had not been closed in error and 6 weeks after it should have been closed they paid a google debit of £560. I hit the roof and made a formal complaint that took them well over a month to respond to. They agreed they were at fault, refunded all late payments fees and offered me £100 in compensation. However they said the debit amount stood as 'I had benefit from it' and I should get a refund from google. I hit the roof again but they have stuck to their guns. The debit from google is a genuine one but I wanted to dispute it with google so closed the card so they would have to engage with me. But surely that's neither here nor there surely? What is the next step? Ombudsman takes forever doesn't it?  thanks in advance
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Wino's PC trouble

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4985 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Wino is having some PC trouble and issues with the new site software, and wants our assistance. More details to follow... :p

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Thanks a lot Locutus for your help in starting this thread. I am unable to start threads or rep anybody so I owe you a rep:)

I have an Acer Aspire One notebook. It switches on and goes to the log in page.

It will not recognise my password (My son thinks he changed it as a joke but cannot remember what he changed it to!!!!!)

When I go onto my sons account and put his password in the screen goes to the start page then immediatly back to the log in page.

I have tried pressing ctrl+Alt+del as advised on another forum but it does nothing.

I did make a backup USB but cannot find it anywhere.

I just cannot get past the log in page

Can anyone offer any advice without using techie terms or big words please:p

Hmm... The Aspire One... does that have a CD drive?

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

to

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

C.A.G. Toolbar

No and No

USB ports no CD

Just log on page with three accounts listed Mine, Sons and guest.

The guest account is not passworded and goes to start page and immediatly back to log in.

No start button showing in the bottom corner.

You could try holding f8 whilst booting and log on in "safe mode" then do a system restore.

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

F8 button worked

Managed to log on but no internet connection. Still can't do a system restore keeps telling me to restart and try again.

Downloaded CC Cleaner and now the internet explorer icon has reappeared but the internet explorer page flashes up then disappears again.

Ooo so near yet so far

Try "safe mode with networking" ;)

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

Are you running an antivirus? If not, this is a pretty good online scanner (small download but mainly runs from the internet)

Also try downloading microsoft security essentials from here (it's free, it just runs a check making sure you are running a legitimate copy of windows)

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

get into safe mode cmd prompt only

type

chkdsk c: /v /f /r

[note the spaces before the each fwd slash]

then restart the pc

i would not do any form of system restore at this stage

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Tried that DX

I log on and the notification box pops up

"Event monitor user notification tool has encountered a problem and needs to close."

I click on internet explorer icon and the home page still flashes up then disappears again.

I have run scan using the link Locutus gave me.

I even thought of disabling the firewall to see if that helps but the pop up box says " windows firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running. Do you want to start the internet connection sharing (ICS) service?

I click yes then it says it cannot start the service?????

just to check..

so chkdsk ran through and found no errors?

if this is the case the only way to recover will be to reinstall windows from the hidden partition on the lappy

its had a virus which has attacked system files.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

just to check..

so chkdsk ran through and found no errors?

f this is the case the only way to recover will be to reinstall windows from the hidden partition on the lappy

its had a virus which has attacked system files.

dx

The lappy is a notebook and came with windows preinstalled. There isn't a CD drive just USB ports.

Is there a way of copying windows from my sons laptop onto a flash drive then installing it in my comp??

you would need to copy the contents complete of the CORRECT windows CD over to the penstick & boot the notebook from that.

no you just can't copy 'windows' from a working machine either.

unless you can borrow a USB CD drive but you'll still need the right CD of windows.

dx

and they

if you are going to copy the correct windows CD to a USB stick

you need to run a little prog to make it bootable

just use a search engine for:

install windows from penstick

dx

and they

Hold ALT and press F10 I believe on the aspire to boot from the recovery partition and reinstall it from there.

You need to hold the ALT and keep pressing the f10 as soon as you press the power button

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

Wino,

As an alternative to re-installingYou might want to take a look at this page. I buy faulty laptops to repair and resell so I'm often in a situation where I've no password. and have used NT password and registry editor myself and can recommend it.

You'll need to be able to boot from CD.

If that fails to work than give a re-install a go.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wino,

As an alternative to re-installingYou might want to take a look at this page. I buy faulty laptops to repair and resell so I'm often in a situation where I've no password. and have used NT password and registry editor myself and can recommend it.

You'll need to be able to boot from CD.

If that fails to work than give a re-install a go.

I was thinking the same, except unfortunatly no CD drive on the Aspire one. Good that it's on the forum though for anyone else trawling the internet that stubles upon this ;)

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

In order to replace forgotten passwords in WinXP you need access to the "Administrator" account which is normally available in safe mode by holding "F8" key before windows loads or by holding"CTRL+ALT" & press "DELETE" keys two times at the log-in screen.

Log on as an Administrator:

Type the name of the Administrator user account In the Password box, type the administrator password, and then click OK. Note If the administrator password is set to a blank password, do not type a password before you click OK .

To reset the password:

Click Start, and then click Run Type "control userpasswords2", without quotes & press Return (Enter) key or click OK.

On the Users tab, click to highlight the name of the user account that you want to reset the password for, and then click Reset Password.

Type a new password in the New password box, and then type the password again in the Confirm new password box, and then click OK, for no password just leave both boxes blank

Log-out as an Administrator or Restart the computer, then log-in with your usual account in Windows XP using the new password you just created.

Edited by ASIIndustries
  • Haha 1

Andrew

ASI Industries = As i in does tries!

As i in does tries!: My definition.

I will try, i may never succeed in the goal, but at least by trying i have a greater chance of success than never trying at all!

My opinions are my own & occasionally may offend, but it is not my intention to cause offence in the first place!

Hi,

Reboot the computer and go into Safe Mode. You should see a new user in the list called "Administrator" - select it. If you've not used it before the password will be empty.

Once you've logged in, Control Panel>Users

From here (as the main administrator) you can change the password of your lost account.

If you do a system restore be warned that more laptops/netbooks only allow the "destructive restore" method which will permanently destroy all data on the hard drive so you might want someone to back up the data beforehand.

Sorry folks I've not been ignoring you I am not around much at the weekends. ;)

First the password has been remembered but thank you for all the info sent to do with that. I will print that out and keep for future reference.:p

Second I was still unable to access the internet but will read through all the advice again and try again tomorrow.

actually i think its more than just a PW issue.

get a penstick

download COMBOFIX

and run that on the notebook.

i bet its been proxied!!

dx

and they