• Tweets

• what rights of access do you have on your agreement with the landlord?   i suspect you shouldn't have to pay a thing.
    • then there is your proof to them why would you pay for BB twice!!   for my notes: GENERAL NOTES ON CHARGEBACK & Continuous Payment Authority & BACS   .....  We have been telling people to put a letter into their bank instructing them  not to make any payments under any circumstances to these companies  . http://whatconsumer.co.uk/visa-debit-chargeback/- it works! usually this should be done using the number on your debit card  .  banks MUST follow written intructions from their customers ! . CANCELLING YOUR DEBIT CARD DOES NOT STOP CPA'S  .  This fsa guide has now been updated:  . http://www.fsa.gov.uk/static/pubs/consumer_info/know_your_rights_guide.pdf http://www.fca.org.uk/news/continuous-payment-authorities-your-right-to-cancel https://www.fca.org.uk/consumers/unauthorised-payments-account  .  Here's the text:  .  Cancelling a regular  card payment:  .  When you give your credit or debit card details to a company and authorise them to take regular payments from your account,   such as for a gym membership or magazine subscription,  it is known as a ‘recurring transaction’ or ‘continuous payment authority’.  . These are often confused with direct debits, but do not offer the same guarantee if the amount or date of the payment changes.  .  In most cases, regular payments can be cancelled by telling the company taking the payments.   .  However,   you have the right to cancel them directly with your bank or card issuer by telling it that you have stopped permission for the payments.   Your bank or card issuer must then stop them – it has no right to insist that you agree this first with the company taking the payments.  .  Be aware, though, that you will still be responsible for paying any money that you owe. and that CANCELLING YOUR CARD WILL NOT STOP THE CPA  .  ..  .  New june 2013  .  Regulator orders Banks and mutuals to review complaints about not cancelling recurring payments from November 2009.  .  Consumers who have set up a regular payment from their account will now be able to successfully cancel that arrangement   by contacting their card provider, the Financial Conduct Authority said.  .  The FCA has been examining how easy it is for customers to cancel Continuous Payment Authorities (CPAs)   due either to payday lendersicon or for other regular payments such as subscriptions or gymicon memberships.  .  CPAs, which are also commonly called recurring transactions or recurring payments,   are relatively easy to set up but can be hard to cancel, causing problems for consumers trying to manage their finances,the FCA said.  .  Now, following the FCA review of how the largest high street banks and mutuals process requests to cancel CPAs, they have agreed that they will ensure that when   a customer asks for a recurring payment to end, that will be sufficient to cancel the arrangement. They have also confirmed that should a payment go through by   mistake following cancellation by a customer the customer will be refunded immediately.  .  In addition to securing this commitment, the largest banks and mutuals have agreed to review every individual complaint they have received about the non-  cancellation of a CPA and to pay redress where payments have continued to be made despite the customer cancelling the arrangement. This applies to all complaints   since November 2009 when the Financial Services Authority, the FCA’s predecessor, began regulating banking conduct.  .  Clive Adamson, the FCA’s director of supervision, said: “It’s important that consumers are confident that banks are meeting their everyday banking needs. Today   customers can be confident that when they ask for a Continuous Payment Authority to be cancelled – it will be cancelled - and that it can be done easily.   . “We recognise that historically this is an area where some customers have struggled but the banks and mutuals have responded positively to our work on this issue.   From now on we expect them to be getting this right. In addition, they have committed to review past complaints.” .  .  Also mentioned your displeasure that as whomever took your money had obviously attempted this many times   probably activating your banks own anti fraud software - nobody had the decency to inform my you this was going on.? .  .In the FSA's own words:  .  ..  What should I do about a payment from my account that I didn’t authorise?  .  Your bank must refund an unauthorised transaction.   Money can only be taken from your account if you have authorised the transaction   or if your bank can prove you were at fault –  . see below.  Contact your bank immediately if you notice an unauthorised payment from your account. .  If you are sure you did not authorise the payment, you can claim a refund.  .  However, your bank does not have to refund you if you do not tell it about the payment until 13 months  or more after the date it left your account.  .  Your bank must refund an unauthorised transaction  .  ------------------  .  Your bank may only refuse a refund for an unauthorised transaction if:  .  ? it can prove you authorised the transaction  – though your bank cannot simply say that use of your password,   card and PIN proves you authorised a payment; or .  ? it can prove you are at fault because you acted fraudulently,   or because you deliberately,   or with gross negligence, failed to protect the details of your card, PIN or password in a way that allowed the transaction  .  -----------------------  .  How quickly must my bank refund me for an unauthorised transaction?  .  The bank must make the refund immediately unless it has evidence that one of the above reasons applies.   Your bank may ask you to answer some questions and fill out a form confirming what has happened,   but it cannot delay your refund while it waits for you to return the form.  If the bank has evidence that one of the above reasons for refusing a refund applies,   it may investigate before making a refund   but must look into it as quickly as possible.   If your bank rejects your claim for a refund it should explain why.  If the transaction was on a credit card, the refund may not happen immediately.   But the card issuer cannot charge interest or ask for repayment of the amount unless it can prove you are liable to pay        
    • Only asking because I want to get my facts right before I approach the bank! Yes, BT is coming out of the same account.
    • not if they want to make the OP the named claimant no!! let them take the other party to court themselves!! the op can be a witness then..   one bitten...read this thread..      
  • Our picks

• Curry’s cancelled my order but took the money anyway. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423055-curry%E2%80%99s-cancelled-my-order-but-took-the-money-anyway/
      • 11 replies
    • Father passed away - Ardent Credit Services (Vodafone) now claiming he owes money. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423040-father-passed-away-ardent-credit-services-vodafone-now-claiming-he-owes-money/
      • 9 replies
    • Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 6 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.

I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.

I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.

No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.

The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.

They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.

They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.

I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?

Thanks for reading 
      • 16 replies
style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3644 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Wino is having some PC trouble and issues with the new site software, and wants our assistance. More details to follow... :p

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Guest wino

Thanks a lot Locutus for your help in starting this thread. I am unable to start threads or rep anybody so I owe you a rep:)

I have an Acer Aspire One notebook. It switches on and goes to the log in page.

It will not recognise my password (My son thinks he changed it as a joke but cannot remember what he changed it to!!!!!)

When I go onto my sons account and put his password in the screen goes to the start page then immediatly back to the log in page.

I have tried pressing ctrl+Alt+del as advised on another forum but it does nothing.

I did make a backup USB but cannot find it anywhere.

I just cannot get past the log in page

Can anyone offer any advice without using techie terms or big words please:p

Hmm... The Aspire One... does that have a CD drive?

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

to

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

C.A.G. Toolbar

Does it give you an option to login to The Tech Guys? My Advent laptop does and that got me out of trouble when I had a glitch some time ago.

Guest wino

No and No

USB ports no CD

Just log on page with three accounts listed Mine, Sons and guest.

The guest account is not passworded and goes to start page and immediatly back to log in.

No start button showing in the bottom corner.

You could try holding f8 whilst booting and log on in "safe mode" then do a system restore.

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

Guest wino

I will give it ago

Guest wino

F8 button worked

Managed to log on but no internet connection. Still can't do a system restore keeps telling me to restart and try again.

Downloaded CC Cleaner and now the internet explorer icon has reappeared but the internet explorer page flashes up then disappears again.

Ooo so near yet so far

Try "safe mode with networking" ;)

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

Are you running an antivirus? If not, this is a pretty good online scanner (small download but mainly runs from the internet)

Also try downloading microsoft security essentials from here (it's free, it just runs a check making sure you are running a legitimate copy of windows)

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

Guest wino

Will do let you know what happens

get into safe mode cmd prompt only

type

chkdsk c: /v /f /r

[note the spaces before the each fwd slash]

then restart the pc

i would not do any form of system restore at this stage

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

if everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's tomorrow

the biggest financial industry in the UK, DCA;s would collapse overnight.

Guest wino

Tried that DX

I log on and the notification box pops up

"Event monitor user notification tool has encountered a problem and needs to close."

I click on internet explorer icon and the home page still flashes up then disappears again.

I have run scan using the link Locutus gave me.

I even thought of disabling the firewall to see if that helps but the pop up box says " windows firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running. Do you want to start the internet connection sharing (ICS) service?

I click yes then it says it cannot start the service?????

just to check..

so chkdsk ran through and found no errors?

if this is the case the only way to recover will be to reinstall windows from the hidden partition on the lappy

its had a virus which has attacked system files.

dx

Guest wino
just to check..

so chkdsk ran through and found no errors?

f this is the case the only way to recover will be to reinstall windows from the hidden partition on the lappy

its had a virus which has attacked system files.

dx

The lappy is a notebook and came with windows preinstalled. There isn't a CD drive just USB ports.

Is there a way of copying windows from my sons laptop onto a flash drive then installing it in my comp??

you would need to copy the contents complete of the CORRECT windows CD over to the penstick & boot the notebook from that.

no you just can't copy 'windows' from a working machine either.

unless you can borrow a USB CD drive but you'll still need the right CD of windows.

dx

Guest wino

Ok i will ask my son for his when he comes in from work. Thanks DX

if you are going to copy the correct windows CD to a USB stick

you need to run a little prog to make it bootable

just use a search engine for:

install windows from penstick

dx

Hold ALT and press F10 I believe on the aspire to boot from the recovery partition and reinstall it from there.

You need to hold the ALT and keep pressing the f10 as soon as you press the power button

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

Wino,

As an alternative to re-installingYou might want to take a look at this page. I buy faulty laptops to repair and resell so I'm often in a situation where I've no password. and have used NT password and registry editor myself and can recommend it.

You'll need to be able to boot from CD.

If that fails to work than give a re-install a go.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wino,

As an alternative to re-installingYou might want to take a look at this page. I buy faulty laptops to repair and resell so I'm often in a situation where I've no password. and have used NT password and registry editor myself and can recommend it.

You'll need to be able to boot from CD.

If that fails to work than give a re-install a go.

I was thinking the same, except unfortunatly no CD drive on the Aspire one. Good that it's on the forum though for anyone else trawling the internet that stubles upon this ;)

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

In order to replace forgotten passwords in WinXP you need access to the "Administrator" account which is normally available in safe mode by holding "F8" key before windows loads or by holding"CTRL+ALT" & press "DELETE" keys two times at the log-in screen.

Log on as an Administrator:

Type the name of the Administrator user account In the Password box, type the administrator password, and then click OK. Note If the administrator password is set to a blank password, do not type a password before you click OK .

To reset the password:

Click Start, and then click Run Type "control userpasswords2", without quotes & press Return (Enter) key or click OK.

On the Users tab, click to highlight the name of the user account that you want to reset the password for, and then click Reset Password.

Type a new password in the New password box, and then type the password again in the Confirm new password box, and then click OK, for no password just leave both boxes blank

Log-out as an Administrator or Restart the computer, then log-in with your usual account in Windows XP using the new password you just created.

Edited by ASIIndustries
  • Haha 1

Andrew

ASI Industries = As i in does tries!

As i in does tries!: My definition.

I will try, i may never succeed in the goal, but at least by trying i have a greater chance of success than never trying at all!

My opinions are my own & occasionally may offend, but it is not my intention to cause offence in the first place!

Hi,

Reboot the computer and go into Safe Mode. You should see a new user in the list called "Administrator" - select it. If you've not used it before the password will be empty.

Once you've logged in, Control Panel>Users

From here (as the main administrator) you can change the password of your lost account.

If you do a system restore be warned that more laptops/netbooks only allow the "destructive restore" method which will permanently destroy all data on the hard drive so you might want someone to back up the data beforehand.

Guest wino

Sorry folks I've not been ignoring you I am not around much at the weekends. ;)

First the password has been remembered but thank you for all the info sent to do with that. I will print that out and keep for future reference.:p

Second I was still unable to access the internet but will read through all the advice again and try again tomorrow.

actually i think its more than just a PW issue.

get a penstick

download COMBOFIX

and run that on the notebook.

i bet its been proxied!!

dx