DLA type 1 diabetic with retinopathy

Frankybeneteau
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4973 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Advice sought from \the group.

I am interested to gauge at what point (if at all)T1 / T2 diabetis with complications have successfully claimed any of the components of DLA

I am a Type 1 diabetic with retinopathy in both eyes, right eye has 30 percent vision and have loss of peripheral visiion in both eyes and suffer from neuropathy.

I am in work but do get support at home from my better half reading labels etc and with visual challenges (the dark and poor contrast colours)

Any pointer appreviated

Thanks

Franky

Hi there, I am also a Type 1 diabetic, insulin dependent, and suffer from Neuropathy. Along with that I have Chronic Pancreatitis with serious life threatening complications.

I don't know of anybody that gets DLA, care or mobility for either disease. I did try once to get it after being told by Age Concern that I should have it, but was turned down flat - so gave up!!!

To make matters worse, I can't have the ESA payment as the medical I had with the DWP said that the illnesses were not severe enough to qualify for sickness benefit and that I should be looking for a job instead.

So I claim JSA, but to be honest who would even want to offer me a job! Still I keep trying at 62!

Hi there,

DLA is not awarded for a specific medical condition but the way that the condition(s) impact on your ability to walk and ability to perform personal tasks such as dressing, bathing etc. Two people with the same condition may not be affected in the same way. You can get DLA even if you don't have a diagnosis although it is often easier with a diagnosis. I know of people with diabetes and retinopathy that get DLA and people that don't. Try support groups for help and advice or possibly the RNIB?