Jump to content

benefits and holiday


style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4151 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

i've been in on income support [and council tax benefit] since late 2006 due to mental illness.

i'm going on holiday in october for 17 days to america to see my family.

to be honest i do want to go, but my parents pushed me into it.

i felt i couldn't say no because i haven't seen my american family for many years and i might not get another chance to see them.

i'm going with my mum and i'll be staying in my family's house, so the good thing is i'll never be alone. but the thought of leaving my house for so long terrifies me.

i'll be taking my usual medication and extra/stronger pills to help me cope.


so my question is...should i tell the benefits people i'm going on holiday?


my first thought is no, because they might stop my money while i'm on holiday.

even worse they might decide i'm able to work [and take me off benefits] because i went on holiday.

i've not been on holiday while i've been off work and i'm scared of going on holiday in england, let alone abroad.:|


but if they somehow find out i went on holiday...i don't know how...then i'll be in trouble for not telling them.


my GP knows i'm going because he organises my medication, but no one else knows.


what should i do?

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can go abroad for up to 4 weeks whilst on income support without it affecting your benefit; they can't stop your benefit for going abroad for 17 days. (They could if it was JSA, but not IS).


For council tax benefit, it's 13 weeks.


If it states in your correspondance that you must inform them then do so, if only to cover yourself.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.



Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)





Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...