EasilyConned

Tricked by Lloyds - Cheated by Barclays

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3650 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

What an idiot I've been.

Lloyds TSB offered me a 75% discount on my credit card debit.

As their letter stated I'd only have to pay 25% and my account would be closed with nothing more to pay.

The only negative would be that my credit file would be marked 'partially settled' and not 'satisfied'

But I went ahead with it anyway.

However when I looked at my credit file, all it shows is the balance reduced by the 25% that I paid them, no mention of 'partially settled'. It just looks as though the account is still open + they haven't sent anything in writing to acknowledge this 'final payment'

I've now written to then twice since May, and they just ignore me.

What shall I do?

Also on my credit file, I have an account with Barclaycard, with whom I pay a fixed (arranged) amount of £5 every month (I still get a normal Barclaycard statement).

The entry on my credit file each month against Barclaycard is '0' which is good, and it has been '0' for a few years since I started this arrangement.

However this month the '0' has suddenly changed to '6' and the narrative is '6 payments late'

How can this be when all payments are paid on time each month by standing order.

I have complained to Experian about this. They said they have contacted Barclaycard but so far (although it's only been 10 days) nothing has been done to correct this.

I've had enough of this deceit from these companies.

Is there anything I can do to fight back?

Many thanks in advance.

E/C

Hi there

I DO agree with your sentiments --but seriously WHY WORRY over a credit rating -- I doubt that you would WANT to go through another session of being in debt --you can live incredibly easily without credit in any case --and it's cheaper and MUCH LESS STRESSFULL TOO.

Companies like EXPERIAN etc IMO should be OUTLAWED in any case since they are dishing out all sorts of PRIVATE info to 3rd parties --how they haven't yet fallen foul of the various data protection acts yet I don't know.

The Credit ratings companies think they are above the law and there is NEVER any transparency about their reports.

If I were you while you can manage your ongoing dispute with the Banks --you've got DEBT WRITTEN OFF so I'd just be happy with that one.

In any case it all drops off after 6 years anyway even if there are CCJ's around.

I don't have ANY credit cards anymore --Sharkleycard etc can all go and toss themseleves for all I care now.

Cheers

jimbo

I would NEVER advise anybody to settle there debts???????????

Yes you heeard me right.

Not until the rules on F&F and part settlement change.

Are banks really that arrogant and stupid?

People want to pay there debts but because of the insane lack of incentive, we find tricks like this and more common banks selling the remaining debt to DCA's

Experian need to work with banks to change there act thus paving the way for 1000's to pay F&F.

As it stands if a OC or DCA offers you a discount tell them to stuff it

We live in an unmoderated country why should the net be any different?

Bring back free speech we miss it!

Couldnt agree with Jimbo more.

Me and the missus have no credit except for mortgage and car loan.

And to be honest, we have never had so much money as we have now. The difference is amazing when you get rid of all the weekly/monthly payments that are interest loaded and designed to do nothing more than make it nigh on impossible for you to pay it back with any ease.

When you break out of this vicious cycle that the banks/ card companies etc try to shackle you with, life really does become very different. They cannot con you anymore ( because thats all it really is about), they cannot lie, cheat etc - only threaten.

When I was with my ex my take-home pay was around £1600 monthly and there was hardly a penny left each month because of her greed and I ended up right in the s***.

Now, me and the new missus ( she was married to a big-spender too), have learned our lessons. Our exs hate us because they are still trying to get money from whoever they can whereas we are very comfortable ( we now bring in around £5k a month).

What I am saying is this - dont be intimidated by these companies. No matter how much debt you may or may not be in, their only purpose is to sink you deeper into their collective mires. So deal with them by paper trail only, never agree to anything over the phone as it will be denied by them in the future. Do not ever trust them.

Sounds to me like you have fell victim to just one of their classic cons. Dont let this get you down, learn from it, because then you are on the path to becoming one of the rapidly-growing members of CAG who will not be pushed around by these creeps anymore.

Just remember this one golden rule - banks, credit card companies, credit reference agencies, DCAs, debt relief firms, etc are ALL the enemy. They work together and they work against you. Trust not one of them and you will be ok.

• Confused 1

Thank you for your replies which I appreciate.

However, surely it's so wrong for them to process incorrect data about me?

Is this something that the Information Commissioner could help me with?

E/C

Thank you for your replies which I appreciate.

However, surely it's so wrong for them to process incorrect data about me?

Is this something that the Information Commissioner could help me with?

E/C

Yes, but first you have to exhaust the company's formal complaints procedure and it would also be good for you to report them to TS and the OFT via consumer direct :)

"To love unconditionally is the greatest gift, laughter is a close second" .To give your time to help others after being helped here is the best way to show your appreciation to your fellow CAG members.

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Seek the advice of an insured qualified professional if you have any doubts. All my knowledge has been gained here, for which I'm very grateful. I'm a Journalist, not a law professional.

If you do PM, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private ;)

BB 13 - DCAs/banks and solicitors 0.

I get a fresh start to get on with learning to live with severe disabilities when they could have had something if they'd been understanding...

<--- If you feel I've helped, please twinkle my star :)

Unfortunately you have learned the hard way - never trust anything that is not watertight and in writing. As I have said on previous threads we, as jo public are being forced to bail out the banks well into the next generation and yet are they about to cut us any slack because we are being penalised for THEIR stupidity - NO, they expect us to pay twic and thrice over whilst they get bailed out by US.sCo_hmmthink.gif

Every journey begins with a single step :):)

Please note: I have no qualifications in this area - my advice is learned from the wonderful members of this Forum. Thanks to you all for your help.

If you have found my post helpful please leave a short message by clicking the star to the left of my profile - Thank You

The only person entitled to your Personal Finance details is a Judge not a DCA

Move all banking activity to another banking group if you have a dispute - your funds can be used to offset debts within the same group.

Be careful with Banking details (card/account numbers) as these can be used to take unauthorised payments.