Omg!!! What a mess help?????!!!!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4182 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have only just posted a previous thread on here about my washing machine and to add matters worse I have just been digging out my contract with Brighthouse to find that my TV has been sold to me at the NEW price when it says USED on the contract!!!! The TV was a display model but I was told they had no new ones and that the display one was in fact NEW but I thought it was strange that it didnt come with the original remote and had some scratches on the base of the tv which I did complain about to the store. With regards to the remote when I complained I was told I could buy one off the internet for £70 at my expense!!! And the straches they werent even bothered about. The thing is it took 3 weeks for them to deliver it and in that time i was paying for an item that was still sat in the shop window everytime i went into the store, I cant believe how stupid I have been havent a clue where to go from here?????

Not sure where you stand on this one, as it would appear that you were aware of the scratches before purchasing the tv, but still went ahead with the purchase. I can't make out from your posting whether or not you knew about the lost remote at the time of purchase or whether it arrived without the remote when you thought it would arrive with one. If you had been expecting the tv to come with a remote control, then you may have been better refusing the tv on delivery as being faulty because by accepting it you could now be seen as being happy with it.

If I were you, I would contact your local trading standards (number easily available in the phone book or from the website for your local council) and ask them for their advice. Things might hinge on the difference between new and used on the contract, and whether or not you agreed to pay the full price. Also, it might be worth checking whether or not there is any clause in the contract (if it's worth the paper it's printed on that is) that allows for you to return the tv within a set time if you are unhappy with it. Again, I think trading standards might be a good place to start on that one.

Good luck. It is so very frustrating when you realise that you have been taken for a ride, so I really hope you manage to sort things out.

It sounds like the seller has put 'used' on the contract to get round this, however have they put in writing anywhere that there were any faults/missing parts? I think you need to get onto the seller and explain that you want to refuse the goods as they are not in the condition that you were expecting. Like I said, I think a call to your local trading standards may be a good idea as they can help you clarify exactly where you stand. Also, you can use their information when contacting Brighthouse, who might be more inclined to listen if they know that you are aware of where you stand.

Just one small point that comes to mind... Can you actually use the tv without the remote? I know that my tv is almost impossible to use without the remote (can turn it on, but not off again without actually switching it off at the mains!) If you can't use your tv without the remote then it's no good and it should not have been sold to you.

Hi. And welcome to CAG

It would appear to me that you are very unhappy with the service you have received from BrightHouse (taking your other thread into account as well.) But, to be honest, it's all because you are looking at things in the wrong way... And, to be even more honest, that's because BrightHouse don't explain how "things really are" in the right way to their customers..

You are not BUYING, nor have you been SOLD a TV from BrightHouse (or a washing machine for that matter), you are only HIRING (renting) them - with an option to purchase them when, and if, all (hire) payments are completed. Also, contrary to what you may have been told, you will only ever own the items if, at the end of the contract, you apply in writing (and within 30 days) to have “ownership” transferred to you. If you choose not to do this, then the items should be returned to BrightHouse. In all fairness, most branch managers don’t bother with transferring ownership, they simply write the goods off… But, they do not, at any time during your contract, belong to YOU.

So you see, that’s the long and short of it. And, once you get your head around THAT bit, BrightHouse suddenly becomes a lot easier to deal with…

As you are also purchasing BrightHouse Optional Service Cover (which, again, is NOT a policy owned by you, it is just simply a “pay-as-you-go” weekly service provided by BrightHouse), just cancel your contract(s) and have BrightHouse take the goods back. End of. (All payments you have made to date were nothing more than hire charges whilst the goods were on-hire to you.

Now then, having done that you could (if you wanted to) renegotiate NEW hire contracts on both a TV and a washing machine, but this time making sure you get the items you actually WANT. (Or, you could take your business elsewhere… There ARE other “rent to own” companies on the high street… all the same deal… all the same system…)

This, in my view, is the easiest and most straight forward way to solve your problems. (You could go down the road of involving Trading Standards and invoking the power of the Supply of Goods and Services (Implied Terms) Act 1973, but you’ll only end up at the same place.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Lefty

PS—why not have a good old read of our BrightHouse FACT SHEET here … It could have saved you lots of hassle...

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)

Thankyou I understand what you are saying its just that I wish to own the products at the end of it and dont want old goods from the off set if you understand what i mean I have no problems with the payments I just want the right goods that I am paying for if I wanted refurbed goods then I would have signed up for that in the first place but as it goes I wanted them new from the start with regards to the goods could I just go back to the store and say come and collect them because with the TV i dont have the OSC??? Thanks