Will a credit search cause more problems??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4997 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone. Hopefully someone can help me here.

I've had a colourful past with my credit and like many others run into problems trying to pay it back. Infact to be honest, it's so bad that I don't even remember half of the things I owe money on. Gradually they're all catching up with me but lately, I'm getting debt collectors letters from companies in reference to things I've never even heard of.

I called one of them and they asked me if I'd ever lived in Tamworth...I've never lived there in my life. I told them this and they told me not to worry. I'm now bginning to wonder if there is the possibility that my ID has been fraudulently used.

I was going to run a credit search on my files using one of the big credit referencing agencies but I'm nervous about this. I'm already stretched to the limit in repaying the ones that have caught up with me.

Can any one let me know if I run a credit check on myself, is there the chance that this will then show up/notify the lenders that haven't caught up with me yet of where I am? I'm just worried that if I go ahead with this check, over the next few weeks I'll be hit with everyone looking there money back at once.

Thanks

To order your credit report you need to fill in your full name, other names you have been known by, address etc.

If there is anything outstanding on there then you can be sure a DCA or two will start chasing you for payment. After all you would of confirmed your name and address on the system.

Thanks guys and sorry for the late reply in getting back to you.

Wino - That's exactly what I was worried about. Obviously as most of them are getting in touch with me now my information is on the files already. But I am just concerned that if I run a report, will this then 'flag' my accounts up to those companies that have yet to run a search for me? Eg. I run a report tonight and get the info I need. Then tomorrow morning 'xxx credit card company' have an alert on their system to say that 'Jacksdad' has run a credit report on himself and he owes you money...go and get him! By me running this report I'm worried about waking the sleeping credit companies (the ones that haven't got in touch yet for what ever reason) and reminding them about me sort of thing.

Sorry if I'm not getting this across correctly but thanks for the help guys.

Applying for a postal report shouldn't affect any thing as you are not opening an account with the CRA, although the do all say that searching reports yourself is not seen by others,

it's possibly not as safe as we are led to believe.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide: