Credit collection agency with a fishing letter

Carlazi
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4999 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've received a letter from collection agency. The letter is asking for me to confirm my address. It's an obvious fishing letter as the envelope has wirtten that it should only be opened by the addressee but in the letter it states that if no response is heard from in 10 days then they will assume that the person lives at this address.

The letter relates to a water bill that was in my landlords name due to a con he did on the student loans company so his daughter didnt have to pay overseas fees. Should i reply to the letter honestly or should i ignore the letter as i'm not on the electoral role at the new address? Can they assume i live here without me confirming this information?

Guest Cartaphilus

How old is this debt? Eg is it more than five years old?

The letter relates to a water bill that was in my landlords name due to a con he did on the student loans company so his daughter didnt have to pay overseas fees. Should i reply to the letter honestly or should i ignore the letter as i'm not on the electoral role at the new address? Can they assume i live here without me confirming this information?

Sounds a bit dodgy to me but if it was in your landlords name why are they pursuing you? Edited by Cartaphilus
Found DCA name online and self-corrected

The debt is relatively recent. I guess they are pursuing me as i was the tenant even though the bills were in his name. The letting agency probably just passed on my forwarding address when the demand came through. I have a feeling they would not even tell the landlord that this has happened.

Guest Cartaphilus
I guess they are pursuing me as i was the tenant even though the bills were in his name.

Well, unlesss I am missing something majorly fundamental ... I don't see why they would be pursuing you whether or not you were the tennant as the bills would clearly all be in his name not yours.

just chancing their arm to fleece you.

shame you know better!!

ignore them

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Give http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/contact

a ring and tell them what the letter says, and the various OFT debt collection guidelines they are in breach of, aswell as the DPA, and no doubt CPUTR regs also. foolish chancers.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!