Problem regarding hot water and carbon monoxide

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4997 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone.

I have recently moved into a property on the 12th July with my partner.

To begin with the property had no hot water, no bath taps and no electricity.

All have been sorted out , taps are now installed and working and the fuse box has been ripped off and a new up to date box has been put in its place.

However the hot water still hasn't been fixed. I told the letting agency and the landlord roughly on the 18/19th of July ( as we were slowly moving our stuff in and hadn't realised it wasn't working ) .

Now today we finally had a visit from a British Gas plumber ( sent by the landlord ) . The plumber has advised us not to use the boiler at all because of carbon monoxide risk. The flue is too short to work in bad weather and the boiler itself needs ripping out and replacing. The plumber has capped it and told us if I hadn't of had the windows open all the time I might not be here to write this now.

When the work goes ahead I have been told that most of the bathroom is going to be dismantled to get the boiler and tank out, so therefore I wont be able to wash or shower ( shower is electric so I get warm water through that) .

I am awaiting a call from the landlord to discuss this matter but I don't know what to tell him or ask him. I am sure I am entitled to some kind of compensation or reduction in the rent as I have been paying even though I have had these problems. So far I have been given 1 week free but that still feel like a rip off as I didnt have electricity and running taps for around 2 weeks.

Also is my landlord liable for any payment towards the electricity and gas bill ? We only get hot water through the kettle and the electric shower and we have to use that even for washing up !. The gas bill apparently will be sky high because of the faulty boiler so why should I pay it ?

Any advice will greatly appreciated :)

Martin

To clarify, you have not had running hot water for the last month and a half? Is that correct?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

That is correct yes.

Just a bit of an update but now the letting agent and landlord are now saying that it would be best for us to move out and find alternative accommodation?

Sounds like they just want to move us so they don't have to bother getting anything fixed.

Funny one this really.

You most certainly do have a right to compensation, in terms of they should pay the uplift in any bills caused by disrepair (not sure how the gas bills could be higher due to the faulty boiler though, if anything they should be lower, but I'm not a plumber).

Perhaps a small amount of "inconvenience" on top of that, but the weeks rent they are offering should more than cover that.

If they are suggesting you find alternative accomodation fine, but then they should be paying for your actual financial loss of them being unable to honour the contract - i.e. relocation costs.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!