Issue with "Whatever Happens" on my television. Advice please :/

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4980 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey guys,

I am have a issue with Pc Worlds whatever happens service, basically they are refusing to repair it. I have read lots of other forum posts but would just like some advice on how much it would cost me if it went as far as submitting an N1 form to a small claims court and if it ever got to court. Just estimates of the overall cost of a court battle (Hopefully wont come to that)

Below I will copy and paste the letter I have wrote, would like some advice and tips before sending though. thankyou!! :(

Dear Mr. -----,

I am writing to portray my dissatisfaction with your “Whatever Happens Service” and the decision to not repair my Sony television based on the supposed damage caused by neglect, abuse or misuse.

Your monthly agreement was sold to me on the basis that I would be covered for breakdown caused by mishaps, which was the reason I originally invested monthly into your service because I currently attend university; therefore I would be covered for when I transport my television from my home address.

Written below is a full explanation of how the accidental damage occurred and the events that followed.

On the 4th August 2010 I was packing up my belongings to take back to university as my new term starts in September, and I can now move into my rented accommodation. My television is situated in my bedroom upstairs and therefore I needed to take it downstairs and put it into the back of my mums car for transportation. In doing this I removed the TV from the stand correctly and started to take the TV downstairs, however, about one step down from the staircase I was impeded by my cat which ran in front of me. Obviously I made sure the stairs were clear of any obstacles before moving my television but tripping over my cat was unavoidable, and at the time extremely bad timing. I fell halfway down the staircase but could not hold onto the television which continued to fall until it hit the ground with the LCD screen face down. The original impact was on the bottom corner of the television where the panel controls are situated, causing damage to the exterior casing as the full force of the impact was felt there first. As I mentioned above the television continued until it hit the tile flooring face down, it did hit the wood-chip wallpaper on the way down but I couldn't see any noticeable damage to the property. However, when the television hit the tile flooring face down unfortunately the plug got tangled underneath the television and the LCD screen took the full force onto the plug. Consequently the plug pins were bent and the LCD screen suffered considerable damage at the point of impact. Pictures have been taken and attached so that I can show you in more detail what happened, and where the damage is situated; there are also some scratches on the damaged corner of the casing, where it collided with the tile flooring.

The first time I rang the TechGuys was on the 5th August 2010 and I explained what happened to the gentleman on the phone, he wasn't too interested in what happened. However, I did explain the damage to him and he arranged for the television to be picked up on the 6th August.

When the television was picked up on the 6th August my mother spoke to the delivery guys and explained what happened as I was at work at the time they arrived. I did notice that when they wrote down the damage on the document, they failed to mention the damage to the plug, I would assume that they missed this as they were generally looking at the damage to the main television. Moreover when the television was delivered back to me on the 10th August I made sure that this damage was accounted for, by making Antony ----- check the television and sign to confirm the damage to the plug was there on delivery back to me. I made him sign the document but did leave a disclaimer stating that the damage should have been written on the original document when originally picked up.

From the information I have received from you I can only presume that the unexplained damage was the plug, however I did mention this on the phone when I originally rang TechGuys. I was not misusing the product in anyway, nor was I neglecting the product. It was just an unfortunate event that should be covered under the breakdown by mishaps agreement in your Whatever Happens service, due to accidental damage.

I would like to request the report under the Data Protection Act 1998 from the engineer, showing his assessment of my television and how the damage on the television differs from the report I have given, with evidence.

Under the terms of the agreement although you can withdraw your service if there is evidence of misuse or neglect, I would like to remind you that I require you to prove the misuse. I would also like to add that I have never made any claims before under your Whatever Happens Service, and I currently have other products under the same agreement

Please would you get back to me as soon as possible with this issue because I will soon be going back to university and would like to get this small problem solved before doing so. This means I would like the television to be taken and repaired if possible, as I originally did pay a lot of money because of its good reviews and reliability.

^^^ I also gave them 14 days to reply and told them I was sending via recording delivery.

• 3 weeks later...

Update!

Hey guys it's been a while since I posted on here, just letting you know what has happened with my whole situation.

Basically I sent the letter recorded delivery with pictures, waited about 14 working days, but just before I sent my second letter going to the next stage they actually sent my replacement vouchers!

So a good result all round!! :-D

All I would say is that throughout the entire two weeks I received no acknowledgment of any kind, not even a phone call. My best advice for people going through the same problem is make sure you explain your story thoroughly, have a paper trail as proof of everything you do, and most importantly don't sign for anything without explaining its damage in full on the document! Moreover provide pictures to back up your story and try to reenact with pictures what happened (this is what I did).

Don't let these big companies bully you, make sure YOU are the first person to make the first move and always make sure and sound like your in control of the situation. You can use my letter above as a draft possibly.

Goodluck everyone in getting your issues resolved!

Peace xx