• Tweets

• My job I've been in for 8 years, my contract is to give a week's notice.   I have 10 days holiday coming up starting next week. If I message the boss 3 days into that holiday and tell him I'm not coming back can it be used as 7 days notice (ie a week). I have a lot of holiday entitlement left this year about 70 hours.   So 2 questions please without judgement just facts:   1. If I phone boss three days into my 10 day holiday next week to formally tell him I'm quitting is that legal? 2. Can they get out of paying me my 70hrs holiday entitlement if I take that route?   (Massive global company not one man and his dog operation, if it affects the advice)  
    • Hi everyone. We purchased a new bed from dreams 26/12/2017 which was delivered 01/02/2018.  We also purchased their delivery, assembly, take the old one away, tv, mattress, mattress protector, pillows and their 'bed cover' 8 years extended warranty.  We paid by 30 monthly interest free instalments and so just made the final payment.   It is a heavy duty king size lift up storage bed with a built in tv at the end.  It has always been a struggle to lift, my wife cannot do it on her own and it rarely stays up by itself.   At the beginning of this year, we noticed it had started to dip considerably in the middle.  Not the mattress, but the wooden base the mattress is on.  So on 09/02/2020 I emailed them about the issue.  They started by saying the mattress is not covered only the base, until I pointed out it is the base at fault not the mattress.  So they sent out Homeserve on the 25/02/2020 to come and repair.  He did what he called a temporary repair, said that the bed had failed due to a manufacturing or design fault (the metal bolts holding the wooden base to the lift up supports have pulled out of the wood) and that dreams would be in touch to arrange a replacement.  His temporary repair barely lasted a day, the bed was still dipping and he took plenty of photos for himself but seemed in a mad rush to leave.   Of course they didn't contact us, so on 30/03/2020 I emailed them back.  01/04/2020 they emailed back confirming in writing that it is a manufacturing fault and their sales team would contact me, however as expected due to Covid-19 this may take a while.   30/06/2020 I asked for an update.  03/07/2020 they replied saying their claims department would contact me within 5 working days.  They didn't. 15/07/2020 I emailed back asking them to escalate my complaint as well as providing a refund and compensation as we are now struggling to sleep and experiencing back ache due to the bed's extreme dipping, plus I am worried about the mattress getting damaged. 23/07/2020 They replied saying we are not entitled to a refund as it is a guarantee claim and they have passed it once again this time to their guarantee company to contact us. I have still not heard back.   This is now getting beyond a joke and I wanted some guidance on how I should proceed.  We are struggling to sleep in the bed and cannot now even open the bed to access our belongings inside as as soon as you try and lift you hear the sound of breaking wood.   Many thanks  
    • bit obv really... don't eat yellow snow either.   dx  
    • I know you are trivialising this as, 'Ambulance Chasing Lawyers', because they are perceived to be involved. You mention BMW (other brands as well). Counterfeit car and truck parts have been implicated, and proven to be the cause, of accidents where fatalities have occurred.   There is some considerable difference between a set of counterfeit brake pads and a fake SD Card.   The trademark infringement though, is the same.   H
    • One hope in this growing mess is that local authorities, mainly in the north west so far, like Liverpool, are developing their own systems to test and trace, filling in the gaps of what Serco et al are missing.   But they're doing it with precious little in the way of funding. In the meantime it looks as if Serco [I think it's them] will be given more hundreds of millions on top of the £100 million that hasn't been effective so far in a couple of weeks. Given that the PM has swanned off to Scotland for a couple of weeks this isn't looking good.
  • Our picks

• Curry’s cancelled my order but took the money anyway. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423055-curry%E2%80%99s-cancelled-my-order-but-took-the-money-anyway/
      • 11 replies
    • Father passed away - Ardent Credit Services (Vodafone) now claiming he owes money. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423040-father-passed-away-ardent-credit-services-vodafone-now-claiming-he-owes-money/
      • 9 replies
    • Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 6 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.

I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.

I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.

No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.

The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.

They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.

They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.

I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?

Thanks for reading 
      • 16 replies
letsmakeamark

Jamie Waller borrows £185 k from Jbw group !!!!!!!!!!

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3631 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Beat the Bailiff star's property crash pain

Britain's best-known debt collector, Jamie Waller, star of BBC1's Beat The Bailiff, may soon be in danger of receiving a visit from the bailiffs himself.

pixel.gif

jamiewaller_203x150.jpg Debt collector's blues: Jamie Waller has seen his property dream fall flat A multi-million-pound development he has been building in the market town of Faringdon, Oxfordshire, has run out of steam and the banks won't lend to him any more. Like many other property developers, Jamie initially agreed a facility to borrow 70% of the projected value in stages as he went along.

But following the 2008 property crash, Jamie's bank downgraded the final value, leaving him in a situation where the money he had already borrowed was the new maximum allowed.

Jamie was constructing what he had hoped would be a £2.5m six-bedroom home but now he must choose between two options.

Either he will sell his unfinished project at just over half his target price or he will invest more of his own money and wait for the market to recover.

'But neither of those options will bring me the money I had hoped to make here,' says Jamie, 31.

'And I went through a long planning battle just to get to this stage, so it's going to be quite hard to give up, but it would cost me another £300,000 to finish and I'm not sure it's worth it.'

In 2006 Jamie, who runs his own bailiff company, JBW Group, bought a former RAF water-pumping station in Faringdon for £440,000 at auction. The five-acre plot came with planning permission for a three-bedroom home but Jamie reckoned there was scope for something grander.

During the next 18 months he put in four different proposals for a six-bedroom house. The site lies down a long unmade road and is not overlooked, but his proposals were rejected on the grounds that a public bridleway runs near it and a larger house would spoil the countryside views.

'I kept asking what the planners would be willing to consider, but no one would tell me,' he says. ' Thankfully I had been alerted to a previous planning permission that was still in force, and in the end I hired planning lawyers to establish that I could start work under it.'

emptyhouse_468x267.jpg

Empty: Jamie's new build in Faringdon

A cunning plan to beat the planners

The earlier permission allowed the owner to cover up to half the entire plot with a single-storey dwelling.

Jamie hatched a plan to build three buildings - a main three-bedroom house on two storeys (which he had permission for when he bought the plot), a single-storey block of bedrooms and a separate indoor swimming pool, only applying to link them when they were completed. With Jamie having since spent £400,000 on building works the house is complete, with a large kitchen diner, a single-storey living room and attractive vaulted ceilings in all three bedrooms.

But the swimming pool is merely a hole under a steel frame in the garden, and what should be the other three bedrooms are an unconverted outbuilding.

'Initially the project was valued on the basis of drawings at £2.6m and I arranged a loan to draw up to 70% against that at key stages,' says Jamie. 'As the development progressed the bank revised the valuation, and finally I ran out of money. I want to sell, but not for less than £1.3m.'

According to Anthony Coker, residential sales manager at Savills in Cirencester, Jamie is unlikely to find demand for an unfinished development particularly strong at the moment.

'There has always been a shortage of stock and high demand in this area,' says Anthony, 'but right now there is very limited appetite for taking on an unfinished project. I would advise him to finish first.

'Our sales are up, but we have only seen prices recovering to near peak values in cases where property for sale is immaculate. Anything blighted by road noise, pylons or nearby eyesores will only sell for around 15% less than peak value price at the moment.'

Original here : http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/mortgages-and-homes/article.html?in_article_id=510144&in_page_id=8&position=moretopstories

So whats cooking today ?

Guest Mrs Hobbit

Is this a case of karma?

Is this a case of karma?

Dont know but if a bank is not willing to lend him money . I think that would be enough to send alarm bells ringing where ever he is touting for business. I personally if dealing with him wouldnt really want touch him with a bargepole and would steer well clear of him. Usually little things like this episode point bigger problems. What he infact is saying he doesnt have 1/2 a mill to complete his house !!!! Alarm bells is all ican say.

So whats cooking today ?

def karfma call it what you will seems like in my world we say if you commit a bad act it will come back to you x3

Is this the project" he was on TV with? - think it was Homes under the Hammer

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

This looks like the death knell has sounded for jamie waller and co. Why will a bank not lend him money ? More to the point. why does he need it ?

So whats cooking today ?

Just rung him to make deal. Answering machine on as usual.

So whats cooking today ?

going a little off topic here, but can some one tell me why this thread is allowed to go on, when the thread I started about an interview with Mr Waller, which was a public interview by the way, was taken down. Just curios and wanted to see if I had to be some sort of member to an exclusive Jamie Waller club so to post Jamie Waller threads. :)

Beat the Bailiff star's property crash pain

Britain's best-known debt collector, Jamie Waller, star of BBC1's Beat The Bailiff, may soon be in danger of receiving a visit from the bailiffs himself.

pixel.gif

jamiewaller_203x150.jpg Debt collector's blues: Jamie Waller has seen his property dream fall flat A multi-million-pound development he has been building in the market town of Faringdon, Oxfordshire, has run out of steam and the banks won't lend to him any more. Like many other property developers, Jamie initially agreed a facility to borrow 70% of the projected value in stages as he went along.

But following the 2008 property crash, Jamie's bank downgraded the final value, leaving him in a situation where the money he had already borrowed was the new maximum allowed.

Jamie was constructing what he had hoped would be a £2.5m six-bedroom home but now he must choose between two options.

Either he will sell his unfinished project at just over half his target price or he will invest more of his own money and wait for the market to recover.

'But neither of those options will bring me the money I had hoped to make here,' says Jamie, 31.

'And I went through a long planning battle just to get to this stage, so it's going to be quite hard to give up, but it would cost me another £300,000 to finish and I'm not sure it's worth it.'

In 2006 Jamie, who runs his own bailiff company, JBW Group, bought a former RAF water-pumping station in Faringdon for £440,000 at auction. The five-acre plot came with planning permission for a three-bedroom home but Jamie reckoned there was scope for something grander.

During the next 18 months he put in four different proposals for a six-bedroom house. The site lies down a long unmade road and is not overlooked, but his proposals were rejected on the grounds that a public bridleway runs near it and a larger house would spoil the countryside views.

'I kept asking what the planners would be willing to consider, but no one would tell me,' he says. ' Thankfully I had been alerted to a previous planning permission that was still in force, and in the end I hired planning lawyers to establish that I could start work under it.'

emptyhouse_468x267.jpg

Empty: Jamie's new build in Faringdon

A cunning plan to beat the planners

The earlier permission allowed the owner to cover up to half the entire plot with a single-storey dwelling.

Jamie hatched a plan to build three buildings - a main three-bedroom house on two storeys (which he had permission for when he bought the plot), a single-storey block of bedrooms and a separate indoor swimming pool, only applying to link them when they were completed. With Jamie having since spent £400,000 on building works the house is complete, with a large kitchen diner, a single-storey living room and attractive vaulted ceilings in all three bedrooms.

But the swimming pool is merely a hole under a steel frame in the garden, and what should be the other three bedrooms are an unconverted outbuilding.

'Initially the project was valued on the basis of drawings at £2.6m and I arranged a loan to draw up to 70% against that at key stages,' says Jamie. 'As the development progressed the bank revised the valuation, and finally I ran out of money. I want to sell, but not for less than £1.3m.'

According to Anthony Coker, residential sales manager at Savills in Cirencester, Jamie is unlikely to find demand for an unfinished development particularly strong at the moment.

'There has always been a shortage of stock and high demand in this area,' says Anthony, 'but right now there is very limited appetite for taking on an unfinished project. I would advise him to finish first.

'Our sales are up, but we have only seen prices recovering to near peak values in cases where property for sale is immaculate. Anything blighted by road noise, pylons or nearby eyesores will only sell for around 15% less than peak value price at the moment.'

Original here : Beat the Bailiff star's property crash pain | This is Money

With the severe effects of the recession it is sad to hear any story that points towards financial difficulties and this article is no exception.

HOWEVER...If this was me, and I owned a large "high profile" company like JBW I WOULDN'T DREAM of allowing this story to get into the papers. Is the man CRAZY!!!

This industry is ruthless.... and rival companies would no doubt use this article to spread gossip to local authority clients when Contracts are coming up for renewal.

Edited by tomtubby

I dont see why this should send alarm bells ringing at all.

It is not him the bank doesnt have confidence in, its the market he is operating in. With the sums of money involved, it would be a secured loan, and no financial institution in the world is going to lend more money than the property is worth.... anymore. So thats why he cant get the money from the banks, as they risk loosing their money, and after what has happened recently they are all rather nervous about things like that.

I would sit on it for a bit, wait for the market to pick up and then finish the project off.

So why put it in the paper then ?

So whats cooking today ?

So why put it in the paper then ?

He likes the attention:grin:

Its all publicity for him, maybe he thinks some millionaire is going to bail him out in some way. Or some builders will take it on as a venture, again for publicity. He has obviously got a plan up his sleeve.

If you actually read the article, to be fair to him it says the property is worth £1.3 million at the moment. He's only spent £700K on it which means he will make over half a mill profit so going bankrupt seems way off the mark. He'll either sell it now for a tasty profit - hence why he probably wanted to go in the paper with it in the first place, or wait till the housing market recovers and make a bigger profit. I doubt he is losing much sleep over it.

I still say he has some sort of financial problem which the banks have seen. As we all know their analysis is not much off the mark.

So whats cooking today ?

I've heard about this guy buying another company recently for 500 grand. I know he's just bought an office up North apparently for 700 grand as well and he's just got a new contract for his company. The whole bank thing is down to them not lending more than the property is worth. In the end he will make a profit out of it, but may have to wait a bit longer than was planned though

I would personally say good afternoon Mr Waller and your wallerites. Why are there so many people who are new comers replying to this thread ? I hope lloydstsb do not have a death wish for their customers as this person banks with them and if any losses they will have to take them in extra charges etc.

So whats cooking today ?

If you actually read the article, to be fair to him it says the property is worth £1.3 million at the moment. He's only spent £700K on it which means he will make over half a mill profit so going bankrupt seems way off the mark. He'll either sell it now for a tasty profit - hence why he probably wanted to go in the paper with it in the first place, or wait till the housing market recovers and make a bigger profit. I doubt he is losing much sleep over it.

The housing market is not likely to show any signs of recovery for a very long time, so IF it is worth £1.3 million (which, by the looks of it is VERY unlikely) then I know what I would be doing right now. SELL...SELL...SELL.

I wouldn't be waiting for any recovery.

The housing market is looking over the edge into the abyss and people playing with large sums of money are going to get burnt big time,,,I would not like to be him or be owed money by him..

Knowing the person concerned his money will be safely locked away abroad and then the company will go bits up.

So whats cooking today ?

God this is dreadful for poor Mr Waller - I really feel his pain!

Hang on a minute. No I dont - serves me right for eating a hot sausage sandwich too fast!:D

Knowing the person concerned his money will be safely locked away abroad and then the company will go bits up.

He will know exactly how to protect asmany of his assets as possible.

Ash.

If you think I have helped you, please add to my reputation by clicking the star button to the left.

Thankyou.

Personally, I don't feel sorry for him in any way.

He's a business man, so he has to take the rough with the smooth. As for bailiffs coming to visit him, of course they won't. He has plenty of other things he can sell to make a bit of money, and I'm not talking about his old clothes on ebay.

I couldn't care less. He took on the project, so presumably he knew the risks.

Still waiting for them to go in.

So whats cooking today ?

I so hope they do.

He is so swarmy it is unreal. I remember watching a programme where the bailiffs were taking all the bedroom furniture etc

Having read up so much on here, that programme was factually incorrect, in fact it made it look like the bailiffs could do what they wished. What they omitted to say, was that to do so, you had to allow the bailiffs in, in the first place. No protection, no what to do's just they will take this and that.

I hope he loses his home and then he can realise what us other normal people, with debts are going through.

Did you see the enforcers/cars,cops bailiffs ? Same story he is very very good in misleading tv viewers and due to this he always sends out the wrong message to everybody.

So whats cooking today ?