Statute barred debt ?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4980 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am a little confused about a debt with HFC it was for goods purchased at PC world.

It has passed the 6 year rule,but is it classed as H.P,if so what the is the limitation period.

I have been told by a friend it's a Hire purchase in this case it would be 12 years.

Is my friend correct.

Hi,

Your friend is wrong, the time limit is usually six years for creditors to take legal action to claim money owed on unsecured debts such as, credit cards, personal loans, hire purchase agreements. While, as a general rule, there is a twelve year time limit on action to recover money owed on debts secured on land, such as mortgages or secured loans.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

It is 6 years since you made a payment or acknowledged the debt, it is statued barred, 5 years in Scotland.

Mortgage debts are 12 years.I believe

Edited by Hardupnotfedup
spelling

I have no legal training, any knowledge I have has come from this forum, and my own experiences. Always balance up any advice you get with your own common sense.

Hi there,

Unless HFC can prove that they have contacted you within the time limitation they cannot enforce. If however they can prove conversations or letters sent within the time frame then unfortunately they will be able to continue. It does not automatically become statute barred once the debt has passed 6 years only if no contact has been made to remedy the situation. Hope this helps you

a telephone conv does not count, only payment by you or a letter specifically stating you acknowledge the debt and signed by you can reset it.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

The 6 year rule is when the last TRANSACTION on the account happens, NOT when a letter is sent by the original creditor or a DCA chasing the debt.

If it was just a letter being sent being able to reset the clock the alleged debt would NEVER expire.

• 2 weeks later...
The 6 year rule is when the last TRANSACTION on the account happens, NOT when a letter is sent by the original creditor or a DCA chasing the debt.

If it was just a letter being sent being able to reset the clock the alleged debt would NEVER expire.

Am i correct that it's 30 days after the last payment on the account that the countdown begins?

No wonder people get confused with when the SB starts with posters like financial adviser offering the above advice,we would all be forever in the debt of the banks and DCA's........I only take the advice of long time posters and the site team,you can't be to careful.