help with getting my first car insurance policy

Guest liam78001
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4996 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest liam78001

hi i am 19 and recently passed my driving test looking to get my first car and i am finding it dificult in finding insurance that i can afford i was wondering if you guys could give me some advice please.

We use Swift cover as well and find them very good. OH insured his wee sportscar with them and was 1/3 of the price that other insurers were, and even when someone ran into the car, they were very good at settling the claim and the premiums havent even gone up!

I was in a similar situation to you when I arrived in UK from NZ. Despite having a license for 10 years they wanted an arm and a leg because I didn't have any UK history.

I don't know what sort of car you're planning to getting but in my experience it is always worth getting a small "runner" and just running on 3rd Party Fire and Theft with legal cover. The reason being is that the premiums are a lot cheaper especially for someone of your age. In addition you are more likely to have an accident in the 1st couple of years after you qualify which Insurance companies factor in to their premiums especially for fully comp. One thing to watch for is the amount of excess they want from you. If you get a low CC car then you benefit from tax as they tend to have lower emissions.

You can build up a no claims bonus using a TFTP policy and when you have a bit more dosh get a better car with fully comp insurance. In addition with the legal cover if you have an accident that wasn't your fault the insurance company will persue the other side on your behalf.

FWIW I went with Direct Line initially and found them very good to start with. Using the legal cover DL was able to recover from the other party after I got shunted in the rear.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guest liam78001

hi thanks for your help guys i tried swift cover but i had to have held my licence for a year before i could get cover from them and it was the same with direct line i have however got on as a named driver at liverpool victoria(LVE) as my step dad needed a new car so now we share he has it during week and i get it at the weekend

Guest liam78001

thanks maz got new problems now got a ford ka and it has a hydrolic clutch and its sticking so gotta find out bout that but i appreciate the support.

i have however got on as a named driver at liverpool victoria(LVE) as my step dad needed a new car so now we share he has it during week and i get it at the weekend

Will they let you build up your own "no claims discount" as a named driver on your step dad's policy? Some do, some dont.

Guest liam78001

not sure about the no claims things but its kinda least of my worries at least im insured which means after ive been driving a year more places are usaly happy to quote me