Have you read......

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4974 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

It is a well known fact that is conviently over looked by the anti camera brigade that the reason cameras are being turned off has nothing to do with the effectiveness of them but the way they are funded. Cameras are paid for by the Local authority but the fines go to central govt which is why Councils are stopping funding them. I'm sure if they could be run at no cost to the authority they would be far more poplular at the Town Halls currently turning them off.

It is a well known fact that is conviently over looked by the anti camera brigade that the reason cameras are being turned off has nothing to do with the effectiveness of them but the way they are funded. Cameras are paid for by the Local authority but the fines go to central govt which is why Councils are stopping funding them. I'm sure if they could be run at no cost to the authority they would be far more poplular at the Town Halls currently turning them off.

I doubt it, IMV cameras are all about the money, and not about slowing people down. If you fail to notice a camera, then the first thing you know about it is receiving a NIP in a week or 2. i.e. they did nothing to actively encourage the traffic to slow down.

Far more effective at actually getting people to slow down if they have inadvertantly gone over the limit a bit is the use of the "reminder" speed limit signs that flash up IN PROMINANT VIEW to either show you the current speed limit that you are over or some actually tell you your actual current speed. The majority of people respond positively to this reminder and slow down which has a much greater benefit for safety. The draw back of this system is no monetary income.

And before you reply G&M with "but people will know there is no penalty for ignoring this "reminder" sign so they would ignore it" I would use these in conjunction with the mobile speed van which may or may not be operating in the same area.

I still don't quite understand how temporarily slowing cars down over a distance of 50 metres in various marked locations has any effect at all, with the exception of in front of school entrances and at accident blackspot junctions.