• Tweets

• Not sure about the lease read through all the documents i have and couldnt find anything about parking. Contacted the management Office to get a copy sent to me. When i complained to them about the ticket they told me to appeal so they clearly don't care.      and yes it's a gated underground parking area with key fob entry. 
    • The coronavirus pandemic has thrown many countries into recession - but what exactly is it and how could it affect you? View the full article
    • Oh and before bed   Officially leaked statements about a PHE report claiming that a UK study will say there is little evidence of children transmitting Covid.   Leakers stats look impressive until you realise he's on Johnson's SAGE so makes you think - huh - hows that then when all the science I've seen says different, and there are a number of reports of spreads in schools across the world from schools that had opened.   Then, little as the information 'leaked' is, you see   "largest studies in the world on coronavirus in schools" and then "The study was carried out in 100 institutions in the UK and is expected to be published later this year. About 20,000 pupils and teachers in 100 schools across England were tested to monitor the spread of the disease up to the end of the summer term – which runs from April-July in Britain."   Then you click. That averages 200 pupils and staff per 'institution' checked We dont know what these institutions are, but I think over 200 is the average for infants schools. Other schools tend to be FAR larger. Did they test everyone at each institution, or just some ??? we don't know yet - they are choosing not to leak that - Wonder why?   We currently understand that younger children (pre teenage) seem to present few/less symptoms  (statistically) but large increases in teenager covid has been reported as lockdowns ease and they start to meet more.   I know my OH's grandson (mother a nurse) has remained at school in classes one third or less that normal, with the majority of kids having front line worker parents - so well aware of the discipline and hygiene necessary. We know the schools maintain distancing, monitoring and maintenance which would be IMPOSSIBLE in normal class sizes.   So in a lock down situation, with class sizes significantly lower than normal (highly aware front-line workers kids mainly), increased distancing and cleaning made possible by SIGNIFICANTLY smaller class sizes - Has maybe resulted in no great evidence of covid spread perhaps?   Well Whoopy do. Lets ramp the class sizes back up to 30+ and see what happens ..     Lets let the mail lead the way Coronavirus infection rates are rising in ALL age groups under 65, Public Health England data shows with biggest surge in under-fives which 'should be watched very carefully' https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8615423/Coronavirus-infection-rates-rising-age-groups-65-Public-Health-England-data-shows.html     and the ONS stats showing how similar the stats are (a statistically significant  difference can be very little actual difference)   https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/articles/coronaviruscovid19infectionsinthecommunityinengland/july2020     Notes: These statistics refer to infections reported in the community, by which we mean private households. These figures exclude infections reported in hospitals, care homes or other institutional settings.  
    • i understand and agree you should write a formal letter of complaint about the email by royal mail.   i also think you should totally dispute the arrears balance, esp as it goes back so long   send them an sar and add to the text in it that you want statements/bills dating back to the gb energy a/c.
    • When you see the reports coming out that serco was involved from the earliest stages apparently to give expertise   and that resulted in 18 million plus people coming back into the UK untested from hotspots .. and then even the general advice to self isolate after they had travelled across the UK home being withdrawn in the run-up to the lock down   That went well says cummings      
  • Our picks

• Curry’s cancelled my order but took the money anyway. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423055-curry%E2%80%99s-cancelled-my-order-but-took-the-money-anyway/
      • 11 replies
    • Father passed away - Ardent Credit Services (Vodafone) now claiming he owes money. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423040-father-passed-away-ardent-credit-services-vodafone-now-claiming-he-owes-money/
      • 9 replies
    • Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 6 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.

I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.

I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.

No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.

The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.

They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.

They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.

I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?

Thanks for reading 
      • 16 replies
letsmakeamark

Westminster now claiming 4mill owed due to visitor parking !!!

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3621 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

A city council is owed almost £4 million in unpaid parking fines by drivers of foreign-owned vehicles, it has been revealed.

Related photos / videos

298753258-overseas-drivers-owe-council-4m.jpg?x=310&y=231&q=75&wc=385&hc=288&xc=26&yc=1&sig=JX2Lebo1SChxKO.SIzUSjw--#310,231

Related content Westminster Council said it is powerless to recoup the money as UK authorities cannot trace the drivers overseas.

The council said the problem is particularly bad in central London where super-cars can regularly be seen parking on yellow lines, in bus lanes or in residents' parking bays.

The council said drivers of foreign-owned cars and motorbikes owed it almost £4 million in unpaid fines over the last three years, with more than 80% of overseas drivers refusing to pay for tickets.

The council took the unusual step of revealing "high profile" offenders, such as the owner of a £300,000 Rolls Royce Phantom with the number plate 3HVB, which has racked up 18 tickets and more than £2,000 in fines.

Another high profile offender is the owner of a £1.2 million Bugatti Veyron L'Edition Centenaire - one of the fastest and most expensive production super-cars in the world with a top speed of 250mph - with the number plate 444.

The owner has an outstanding ticket for parking outside a main entrance to Selfridges department store in the heart of the West End dating back to March.

The owner of a £50,000 Hummer with the number plate U19HPS, whose car is registered in America, owed £4,000 after being issued more than 35 tickets. The tickets were written off but the vehicle has since clocked up 10 more tickets and owes £1,100.

Westminster Council is now calling for a change in legislation that would allow local authorities access of overseas driver and vehicle registration data and enable them to enforce parking fines.

Cabinet member for parking, Cllr Lee Rowley, said: "British taxpayers can no longer foot the bill for foreign motorists who seem to think the rules of this country do not apply to them. We would like to see a more rigorous system put in place to hold these drivers to account and send a clear message that this blatant disregard of the law will not be tolerated."

Original here :

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20100814/tuk-overseas-drivers-owe-council-4m-6323e80.html

So whats cooking today ?

Cabinet member for parking, Cllr Lee Rowley, said: "British taxpayers can no longer foot the bill for foreign motorists who seem to think the rules of this country do not apply to them.

Whilst I don't approve of the foreign drivers parking anywhere and not paying penalty charges, I also fail to see why the "British taxpayer" is footing the bill. Parking fines are not supposed to be revenue raising, therefore the council has not lost anything from it's budget and the British taxpayer is not making up a budget shortfall as there isn't one.

Whilst I cannot condone breaking the law, occasionally you read something that gives you a nice, rosy glow, inside!

All of these are on behalf of a friend.. Cabot - [There's no CCA!]

CapQuest - [There's no CCA!]

Barclays - Zinc, [There's no CCA!]

Robinson Way - Written off!

NatWest - Written off!

Whilst I don't approve of the foreign drivers parking anywhere and not paying penalty charges, I also fail to see why the "British taxpayer" is footing the bill. Parking fines are not supposed to be revenue raising, therefore the council has not lost anything from it's budget and the British taxpayer is not making up a budget shortfall as there isn't one.

Enforcement costs money the time taken to issue, process and if needed cancel the tickets all costs Council tax payers money as does maintaining the car parks they don't bother paying to use.

Whilst I cannot condone breaking the law, occasionally you read something that gives you a nice, rosy glow, inside!

I'm not sure someone that has just paid £30 out of their hard earned wages because they overstayed in a Car park would be so happy to see millionaires parking for free on double yellows.

Is there any reason why these vehicles cannot be clamped or towed? The council will then demand payment before releasing the vehicle.

Is there any reason why these vehicles cannot be clamped or towed? The council will then demand payment before releasing the vehicle.

Westminster don't clamp or tow and if they did it would be unlawful to just target foreign drivers as potential non payers. The LLA 2008 does give London Councils powers to tow non payers but as yet its only being trialed in 3 Councils.

Westminster don't clamp or tow and if they did it would be unlawful to just target foreign drivers as potential non payers. The LLA 2008 does give London Councils powers to tow non payers but as yet its only being trialed in 3 Councils.

I was not aware. When you say don't clamp or tow do you mean this is a policy rather than a legal issue? I ask because I thought that under the TMA 2004 councils are lawfully entitled to tow or clamp persistent evaders. I agree it would be wrong to target foreign vehicles but if they happen to be persistent evaders and the law allows towing or clamping then why don't Westminster utilise this to recoup the money owed?

Westminster are rubbish. if they just got their act together they would regain much more than 4 million.

but they can't get their act together. they are in meltdown.

What has happened is due to the foi Westminster are changing subject before the s*** hits the fan.

So whats cooking today ?

I was not aware. When you say don't clamp or tow do you mean this is a policy rather than a legal issue? I ask because I thought that under the TMA 2004 councils are lawfully entitled to tow or clamp persistent evaders. I agree it would be wrong to target foreign vehicles but if they happen to be persistent evaders and the law allows towing or clamping then why don't Westminster utilise this to recoup the money owed?

They do not clamp or tow as a matter of policy but even if they did they can only tow persistent offenders under the TMA if parked in contravention so the CEO would need to check every time they issued to see if the vehicle was 'wanted' as a non payer and have a truck on stand by incase they found one which isn't really practical. The LLA 2008 however allows Councils to tow non payers if they are parked legally and still have outstanding PCNs.

They do not clamp or tow as a matter of policy but even if they did they can only tow persistent offenders under the TMA if parked in contravention so the CEO would need to check every time they issued to see if the vehicle was 'wanted' as a non payer and have a truck on stand by incase they found one which isn't really practical. The LLA 2008 however allows Councils to tow non payers if they are parked legally and still have outstanding PCNs.

Mate they are not offenders. This is a civil matter.

So whats cooking today ?

Mate they are not offenders. This is a civil matter.

You need to invest in a dictionary..

offence US, offense [əˈfɛns]

n 1. a violation or breach of a law, custom, rule, etc.

I never said it was a criminal offence just because its dealt with as a civil contravention you are still 'offending' by contravening a law.

A moving traffic contravention is—(a)an offence under section 36 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 (c. 52) of failing to comply with the indication given by a traffic sign that is subject to civil enforcement (see paragraph 9), or

(b)an offence of failing to comply with a traffic order in so far as it makes provision for a requirement, restriction or prohibition that is conveyed by a traffic sign subject to civil enforcement.

Decriminalisation has not made it legal to breach traffic orders but has given local authorities the power to deal with them via the civil system.

Personally I can't see anyway round this other than clamping or towing. If the 'policy' isn't there for this then the problem will continue. Not rocket science is it? Surely they know the 'hot'spots' and with CCTV at their disposal, a tow truck could be in situ within minutes. If the authority is loosing £4m in fines, it's worth having tow trucks on stand by I would of thought.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Personally I can't see anyway round this other than clamping or towing. If the 'policy' isn't there for this then the problem will continue. Not rocket science is it? Surely they know the 'hot'spots' and with CCTV at their disposal, a tow truck could be in situ within minutes. If the authority is loosing £4m in fines, it's worth having tow trucks on stand by I would of thought.

Please Note

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Some foreign vehicles do however pay so it would be highly dubious if not unlawful just to zoom around towing away every foreign vehicle seen with a PCN on. The law is there to clamp those that don't pay however it is not that cost effective if you don't clamp vehicles that don't have multiple PCNs. You have to have staff on call 24/7 to release the clamp, staff to clamp the vehicles and I suspect the £4m figure includes all those that don't pay not just foreign cars such as those with no keeper.

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.[/color][/size]

Please click my reputation button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful. [/center]

I am sure that Westminster are painting a wrong picture. Knowing them they wouldnt let people off the hook to the tune of 4m ? If a foi is done the truth should come out.Then again westminster being themslves would be able to get some sort of figures sorted out

So whats cooking today ?

You need to invest in a dictionary..

offence US, offense [əˈfɛns]

n 1. a violation or breach of a law, custom, rule, etc.

I never said it was a criminal offence just because its dealt with as a civil contravention you are still 'offending' by contravening a law.

A moving traffic contravention is—(a)an offence under section 36 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 (c. 52) of failing to comply with the indication given by a traffic sign that is subject to civil enforcement (see paragraph 9), or

(b)an offence of failing to comply with a traffic order in so far as it makes provision for a requirement, restriction or prohibition that is conveyed by a traffic sign subject to civil enforcement.

Decriminalisation has not made it legal to breach traffic orders but has given local authorities the power to deal with them via the civil system.

If a PCN has "Date of OFFENCE" then it's non compliant and not enforceable. It must say "date of contravention" If you're going to be pedantic then be precise as well.

£50k saved and £7k charges refunded:

MBNA & A&L 35% F&F direct - saved £23k. Birmingham Midshires £1700 charges refunded

Abbey Loan/BCW 50% - saved £2k. Barclaycard/CSL 40% - saved £6k

Monument/DCA 35% - saved £1k. LTSB/Wescot 50% - saved £4k

HBOS Visa £5k charges refund via Blair Oliver Scott

RBS Direct Line/(genuine) solicitors June 2010 40% - saved £3k

Morgan Stanley/Aktiv Kapital £11k SB Nov 2010

Over £40k balance write off and charges refunds to fight for:

HBOS O/d Charges £5k. Egg Loan/Aktiv Kapital CCA Dispute £8k

Egg Card/Fredrickson taking £5 monthly but CCA & Charges Dispute £4k

Goldfish/1st Credit DN/TN Dispute £9k. Capital One/CSL charges claim £4k

Barclaycard/CSL taking £5 monthly on £10k debt

I hope I have helped - if I have please hit my star - and recognise the others who have helped too.

Bigdebtor