Help with Removal

marilyn1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4996 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good Afternoon Everyone

This is my first post on here and I was hoping I could get some advice. I have worked most of my life & due to a progressive illness & the economy I was made redundant, my illness has left me disabled & I have been on ESA for just over a year. I have been on the council waiting list for a adapted property, and finally offered a new home but its 25 miles away. I would like to know as I am on a low income are there any options to help me with removal costs? as I just dont have the money, and if you are moving from one area to another what happens with housing benefit? as the other council want us to sign the lease straight away so in reality I would have 2 homes for now, however we have to give notice on the private rent here too, which I think is a month. Also is there any help I could get for carpets in the new home as there isnt any . Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks

Hi Marilyn1 and welcome to CAG

We use to own a removal company and regularly undertook removals that were paid for by DHSS. We would supply a written quotation to the customer who would submit it to DHSS and then they would be issued in advance with a cheque payable to our company.

Hello and thank you for the warm welcome.

I not sure what to ask for or who to ask! I did phone the dwp but spoke to someone who didnt know where to direct me too ! I have read that there is a social fund but that says its not for removals, would you happen to know if there was a particular name of deptartment for the quote you used to do.

Many thanks again

Sorry I did not deal direct with the social or whatever they call themselves now a days:)

I will try and find out though

If your ESA claim is income based, you can apply for a budgeting loan from the social fund for removal expenses, and for carpets. The maximum they can award for a budgeting loan is £348 for a single person.

Unfortunately if your ESA claim is contributory based, you would not qualify for a budgeting loan.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

When i moved to a ground floor 5 years ago i was given a community care grant I remember applying to the DSS local office i was turned down at first then after a telephone call from my CPN was given around £400 which paid for removals and helped with carpets etc, lots of luck , hope the move goes well

Hi Starblackie

Thank you for your reply, I have looked at the community care grant and it says no for removals on some sites, however on the paper work it does say to move to suitable accomodation. Its all very confusing ! I will give it a go.

Thanks again for your help.

Hi Marilyn1, I'm with starblackie in thinking that you could qualify for a Community Care Grant. As starblackie mentions - help from a CPN (or another state recognised healthcare pro, or and adviser) would assist to make your claim successful.

Please have a look at the Social Fund Guide here: http://loanranger.no-ip.org/penury/av/Social_Fund_Guide.html#Part_2_-_Community_Care_Grants

Regards dual-rent and HB/LHA - you can apply to your old council, however this is paid only if the situation requires that you move whilst the notice period on your first dwelling hasn't yet completed, it's also conditional that you will have had to physically take-up residence immediately (i.e. living in) the new dwelling from the date of the dual-rent's commencement.

Good luck, LR.

Edited by loan_ranger

I'm not a qualified welfare rights adviser, but I'm planning on becoming one. I'm no substitute for more competent advice from trained CAB and welfare rights workers - [URL="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/127741-benefits-advice.html"]see this post[/URL] by Joa, great advice and links! I've been running a Crisis Loan campaign and help since Jan 2007 . See my annotations c/o "theyworkforyou". I'm also currently interested by the recent DWP Medical Services reform and the effect this is having on valid claims, seriously - someone needs to be keeping a suicide count.