Gothia/ Red castle Debt letter

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4949 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My mother recently received a letter from these idiots demanding money for 'helploan/balance loan' of £513. The letter was addressed to me but I haven't lived there for quite some time. They also addressed me as MR . I have never taken out a loan and have no idea where they are getting this random figure from. I'm inclined to think it is completely made up, like so many of these scams. I haven't phoned the premium rate number and will resist the urge to.

The only thing I can think of that ever had any kind of debt attached to it was a debenhams store card which I used (around £40ish?) and paid off in the same week yonks ago. I have student loan debt but then who doesn't ?? I know I don't have other debt.

What really gets me is that people with a lot of debt from different finance companies will assume this is genuine and panic when they receive the letter. Statistically, they must get away with stealing cancelled/paid off/imaginary debt from a percentage of people they harass. I read some other forums about phone calls too but thankfully my mum hasn't experienced this...yet. How can this be allowed to continue? I want to see them brought to some kind of justice for being a bunch of chavy con artists. What can I do and what is the best way to bring attention to an authority of some description? Trading standards?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Suz:)

Hi,

Difficult one this. I think you have a couple of options.

1, send any further letters back with "not at this address" written on them. This won't nescessarily stop further letters though and there is a possiblitiy they will find a phone number and start pestering your mum.

2, You could write to them telling them they are writing to you at your mums address and to contact you in future at your present address. If you did write to them, I would also include letter 18 from here:

http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors.html

Send all letters by Recorded Delivery and don't sign anything. Just print your name.

Just how long have you not lived at this address?

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

My mother recently received a letter from these idiots demanding money for 'helploan/balance loan' of £513. The letter was addressed to me but I haven't lived there for quite some time. They also addressed me as MR . I have never taken out a loan and have no idea where they are getting this random figure from. I'm inclined to think it is completely made up, like so many of these scams. I haven't phoned the premium rate number and will resist the urge to.

Suz

There is a current [problem] similar to this at the moment, where companies say that a debt is owed regarding a loan. This was highlighted by the Action Fraud people recently. This does sound like what they were describing.

Suggest you give Action Fraud helpline a call to report this. They are asking for details at the moment.

http://www.actionfraud.org.uk/

This is their article.

http://www.actionfraud.org.uk/FRAUD-ALERT-loan-repayment-fraud-in-your-area

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi silverfox,

Its been a couple years since I moved and all of my mail is delivered to my current address. I really don't want them knowing any further points of contact so I may send a letter from my mothers address to keep contact to a minimum. I have thought about sending a recorded letter but I wasn't sure if they would even bother to read it. I guess it's worth it as it sounds as though they don't give up very easily.

I can't seem to access the letter link , it keeps asking to register when I have already. Bit of a newbie so I may be doing something daft .

Suz :)

Hi unclebulgaria,

sounds like the kind of place I should contact. They haven't actually received any money from me and they wont but I'll report it anyway.

Ideally I would love to send a couple of my own 'bailiffs' round to have a chat with them but I'm not convinced it would be the best idea hahaha!!

Suz :)

i received a phone call from these guys on friday to say my loan with help loan was due on the 20th. He asked for a debit/credit card number which i declined as i have never heard of these people. He explained that they would take the money out by dd. help please

i received a phone call from these guys on friday to say my loan with help loan was due on the 20th. He asked for a debit/credit card number which i declined as i have never heard of these people. He explained that they would take the money out by dd. help please

If the Gothia/Red Castle people had taken over the Help loan accounts, you should have received a letter explaining this. Normally such a letter would explain that the Direct Debit entry on your bank statement would now show the new company instead of Help loans.

I am presuming that you had a Help loan ? If so, have you received any letters from them about this ?

Suggest that you check this further, do not provide any payment details and most important keep an eye on your statements. Check with your bank next week, to see what Direct Debits are set up on your account, just in case these people have set up a mandate, so they can collect payments. Your bank should not accept any DD payment, unless they hold a mandate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I received an invoice yesterday from Gothia for the same amount, £300 for loan and £213 for fees, sent to my home address. I have not applied for the loan and there have been no deposits into my bank account, however there is a record of a credit record check on Expeian.

I have received exactly the same as Graham above, although the letter is addressed to Mr and I am Miss with payment due for loan taken with Helploan/Balanceloan and due date 31/08/10. I've not heard of any of the companies and am confident I don't owe any money so any advice would be appreciated. I will check my credit records.

Suz

There is a current [problem] similar to this at the moment, where companies say that a debt is owed regarding a loan. This was highlighted by the Action Fraud people recently. This does sound like what they were describing.

Suggest you give Action Fraud helpline a call to report this. They are asking for details at the moment.

This is their article.

http://www.actionfraud.org.uk/FRAUD-ALERT-loan-repayment-fraud-in-your-area

Hope you dont mind UB67 but I have started a new thread with your link above as this may warn a few more possible targets.

I have received exactly the same as Graham above, although the letter is addressed to Mr and I am Miss with payment due for loan taken with Helploan/Balanceloan and due date 31/08/10. I've not heard of any of the companies and am confident I don't owe any money so any advice would be appreciated. I will check my credit records.

Just in case this is a [problem], you should be contacting the Action Fraud helpline.

There is a current [problem] taking place, where people are being contacting about an existing loan and being deceived into making changes to payments.

I received an invoice yesterday from Gothia for the same amount, £300 for loan and £213 for fees, sent to my home address..

These are exactly the same amounts on my letter and similarly to storm78 it was addressed to Mr rather than Miss. Such a [problem] to actually use the same amounts... Are these people completely insane?

I also tried to report it to actionfraud but there wasn't a category listed. I guess fraud hasn't actually been commited if no money has been taken or there is no immediate threat of money being withdrawn from an account. I'm definitely going to give consumer direct a go too though.

It is good to know that I'm not the only one who has had this letter although it sickens me to think of the people who may actually pay them or offer any further details. I read somewhere else that it is a £5/min number so hopefully no one has called. The website is suspicious looking too and I wouldn't advise anyone to use the email address printed on the letter.

I would still like to send a letter but I'm not able to access the letter page, does anyone have an alternative link to use for the number 18 letter template?

Thanks for all the advice folks :).

-Suz

It's the 'prove it' letter:

Dear Sir or Madam

You have contacted me/us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself/ourselves.

I/we would point out that I/we have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (insert company name).

I am/we are familiar with the CPUTR 2008 and the Office of Fair Trading's Guidance on debt collectionlink3.gif, which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I/we would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. AND in not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

I/we would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my/our liability for the debt in question.

I/we await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to Trading Standards and also inform the Office Of Fair Trading of your actions.

I/we look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

• 4 weeks later...

An update that today I've received another letter dated 6 September asking me to telephone to discuss 'how you intend to make the payment' and saying failure to pay will result in further fees being added to the account balance. It doesn't actually say how much is owed and continues to address me as Mr.

I decided to ignore the previous letter and see what happened, I'm now thinking of writing using the template letter kindly posted on here.

Has anyone else heared any more from them?

I would write back saying that you believe that this is a [problem] and that you have reported this to the relevant authorities.

Explain that no correspondence has been received to provide any explanation about the alleged debt and what authority the company has to arrange collection.

Then wait for them to provide a full explanation.

If this was a real debt, it would show who the original creditor was and you would be able to make enquiries with them.

• 4 weeks later...

An update. I wrote back with the letter harrassed senior kindly posted on 16 August and have subsequently had another chaser from Gothia a letter from Helploan (backdated over a month) also asking for payment by 31 August and yesterday a letter from Red Castle Recoveries/Gothia saying they are no longer servicing accounts for MCO Capital and that all correspondence should be sent to MCO at a Bressenden Place, London address. The telephone number remains an 0844 one.

I'm going to resend my letter there and continue to wait.

Has anyone else heard anything?