Leasing a Property - Slow Estate Agent?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5003 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

On July 19 2010 myself and my partner viewed a property that is up for rent. We liked what we saw so that same day agreed to pay a deposit (£675) so that the house was took off the market pending our application.

We were away on holiday for the rest of the week so the application forms were handed in the following monday 26 July.

Our guarantor's form was handed in a few days later.

The guy at the estate agents said we should know whether we had been successful within a week or so.

We have rang 2 or 3 times since enquiring as to the status of the application and both times he said that they were waiting for references to be returned and said if we had any more referees it would help speed things up. We had all provided 2 each already.

They have been in touch with my company but only to confirm my job and wage details etc not for a reference. Likewise, as of yesterday they had not asked my partner's company or our guarantor's work for any references.

My partner is due to give birth in 3 weeks time so obviously we were hoping for the process to be a lot quicker than it is being.

We have seen other properties on the market we would of been interested in but are tied down by the fear of losing our deposit by withdrawing from this application.

The house was up for sale as well as let and indeed the for sale signs are still up outside the property.

My main questions are:

Are the estate agents being particularly slow or is this timescale of things the 'norm' ?

Is there a timescale whereby if the estate agents haven't accepted us we can withdraw without losing our deposit ?

Could they be trying to drag the application out hoping to sell the house instead ?

Sorry if I've gone on but we are new to the property market in all honesty. Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Mark