Parking in Lewes East Sussex

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4173 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I offer this for information only, as I have no personal experience, only the info from a friend who is a frequent parker in Lewes

It seems that they have a very highly motivated (!) team of mostly eastern European CEO's in this town, so apparently there is often a languauge difficulty. The problem has reached such a high level of complaint by drivers who feel and it would seem that they have been improperly penalised that Lewes BC have opened a "Parking Shop" to deal with complaints etc ( I am reliably informed that the Town Hall was getting fed up with it !)

Foe eample friend parked car and paid for ticket, and being a consciencious soul, displayed in the proper manner ( she is a solicitor) However, the ticket glue was rubbish and in the hot weather the ticket dropped off the screen - result a penalty ticket, This is how I got to hear about the Parking Shop and the queues of irate motorists.

So be warned, take a good roll of tape with you to Lewes to make sure your ticket is well displayed

If the CEO saw the car without a ticket displayed, then of course it was issued a PCN. What else would happen? It is irrelevant whether the CEO is Eastern European.

I also park in Lewes quite often - I use one of the p&d carparks in the town centre and have never had a PCN. I have never in my life had a p&d ticket fall off the glass, but maybe it happens to others. In any case - lay the ticket face-up on the dashboard and you're safe.

By the way, the parking shop has been there about 4 or 5 years. It was opened when decriminalized parking came in. Don't know if the town hall also dealt with some aspect of parking, but I doubt it - it's not a big town.

The parking shop actually opened in 2004 when the Council took over parking enforcement not in response to complaints about 'East Europeans' issuing dodgy PCNs as you claim. The shop is one of the services that the sub contractor (currently NSL) has to provide as part of the enforcement contract.

As I said, I am only reporting what my friend tells me of her experiences, it is her view that the CEO's possibly have a lack of understanding of parkers legitimate reasons, and as I dont live in East Sussex, and have only just heard of this Parking shop facility, It is a little unwarranted to start sniping at me as I have not for one moment suggested that the PPN's are "dodgy" or that the CEO's are corrupt, merely that there is a lot of annoyance in the town

But I expect that I shall receive a castigation for a) bothering to make this observation on what has been told to me and b) for daring to suggest that a language difficulty(?) is a point of reference !

As I said, I am only reporting what my friend tells me of her experiences, it is her view that the CEO's possibly have a lack of understanding of parkers legitimate reasons, and as I dont live in East Sussex, and have only just heard of this Parking shop facility, It is a little unwarranted to start sniping at me as I have not for one moment suggested that the PPN's are "dodgy" or that the CEO's are corrupt, merely that there is a lot of annoyance in the town

But I expect that I shall receive a castigation for a) bothering to make this observation on what has been told to me and b) for daring to suggest that a language difficulty(?) is a point of reference !

Why would there be a language problem? 99.99% of PCNs get issued to empty vehicles unless the CEO is unable to read a road sign its unlikely language would come into it? Every East European I know or have come into contact with actually speaks perfect English and around here there are an awful lot of them. I don't think sniping was the intention, you stated that a parking shop had opened due to complaints about the PCNs issued by these CEOs I was merely correcting your innacurrate observation which you tried to pass off as fact and the result of a 'town hall source'. If you intend to make defamatory comments about people you should at least ensure you get your facts correct.

As I have said all along and perhaps has not been understand, I am passing on what I have been told, that the Parking shop deals with a great many complaints, that the CEO do not seem to want to listen to any reasonable observations and that a lot of them are from E Europe

It would seem that any reportage out of interest will incur opprobrium irrespective of how it is relayed, which I emphasis yet again is on the observations, comments and experiences of an aquantianance, I have no feelings either way, and indeed whilst I work often with EEuropen chaps, who are excellent workers, there is sometimes a language difficultuty

Now pick the bones out of that !!

As I have said all along and perhaps has not been understand, I am passing on what I have been told, that the Parking shop deals with a great many complaints, that the CEO do not seem to want to listen to any reasonable observations and that a lot of them are from E Europe

You have not said that all along, you said 'The problem has reached such a high level of complaint by drivers who feel and it would seem that they have been improperly penalised that Lewes BC have opened a "Parking Shop" to deal with complaints' since the shop opened when DPE commenced in 2004 what you said was either clearly untrue or maybe its you that has 'a language prolem'?