lifeisthis

Tax credtis paid to both (separated) parents for same child

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3653 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I need some help with the wording for the tax credit overpayment appeal form.

My daughter spent last year between both me and her dad. I was claiming tax credits and without telling me my ex also put her on his claim. HMRC tell me they should have had procedures in place to ensure two people aren't claiming for the same child but obviously in this case the procedures failed.

I notified them immediately I found out and they have now decided I need to pay back all the tax credits from when they paid both of us......£3,000.

I don't want to just say on the form "where do you think a 7 year old came from, thin air?" but I really don't know how to word it so I have a chance of appealling.

I know it is an unusual situation, and I certainly haven't found any other case like it on any forums.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks