County court judgement against me :(

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4183 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have recieved a CCJ against me by the University.

Reason: Not paying the tutition fees in 2006 when I graduated

My argument: at the time I did my degree, the tutition was paid by the LEA (local education authority). At the beggining of each academic year, we have to fill a form to be eligible for tuition fee. I filled that form and passed it. So I could study from 2005-2006 when I graduated after my final year.

After 2007 the LEA re asseedd my application form and realised 1 of the supporting docs (i.e family income) I gave them was the wrong one and asked me to send them it again. Which I did and am still able to do so now. Now the LEA are claiming they never recieved the form. Therefore took the tuition fee off the uni. Therefore means I am in debt to the uni of excess of £1100.

Now I have got a CCJ against me which I feel I need to appeal against.

I have 4 questions in regards:

1) Is it worth appealing against? (the uni have told me it’s most likely I would lose, as they have sent me numerous letters demanding the payment. Despite me claiming that I did send the evidence to the LEA, I cant prove that)

2) Would I need a lawyer to represent me? Would that be covered by legal aid?

3) Would this affect my credit file in terms of employment. I have recently applied for another job and they want to check my credit file.

4) I checked for debt solicitors and they charge £200 an hour and I can no way afford to have legal representation. Is it possible to represent myself?

Thanks for any info.

p.s i graduated in 2006 and at the time the LEA paid the tuition fees for us.

I have recieved a CCJ against me by the University.

Reason: Not paying the tutition fees in 2006 when I graduated

My argument: at the time I did my degree, the tutition was paid by the LEA (local education authority). At the beggining of each academic year, we have to fill a form to be eligible for tuition fee. I filled that form and passed it. So I could study from 2005-2006 when I graduated after my final year.

After 2007 the LEA re asseedd my application form and realised 1 of the supporting docs (i.e family income) I gave them was the wrong one and asked me to send them it again. Which I did and am still able to do so now. Now the LEA are claiming they never recieved the form. Therefore took the tuition fee off the uni. Therefore means I am in debt to the uni of excess of £1100.

Now I have got a CCJ against me which I feel I need to appeal against.

I have 4 questions in regards:

1) Is it worth appealing against? (the uni have told me it’s most likely I would lose, as they have sent me numerous letters demanding the payment. Despite me claiming that I did send the evidence to the LEA, I cant prove that)

2) Would I need a lawyer to represent me? Would that be covered by legal aid?

3) Would this affect my credit file in terms of employment. I have recently applied for another job and they want to check my credit file.

4) I checked for debt solicitors and they charge £200 an hour and I can no way afford to have legal representation. Is it possible to represent myself?

Thanks for any info.

p.s i graduated in 2006 and at the time the LEA paid the tuition fees for us.

Sorry don't know the answer to this but this should give you a bump so that someone else can come in to help you.

Did you defend the case at the original hearing Tolet? If not then a set aside application may be a cheaper option, assuming that you have a good reason for not defending.

Appealing decisions is extremely expensive and will probably end up costing you more in the long run.

You could try complaining to the Local Government Ombudsman, about the Council, assuming that you have exhausted their internal complaints process.

Strictly speaking, I don't believe that the University has done anything wrong and your dispute is with your local education authority.

In response to your 4 questions, MY answers would be:

1) Is it worth appealing against? NO

2) Would I need a lawyer to represent me? Would that be covered by legal aid? You have the right of audience as an appellant in person but probably wiser to employ a lawyer. Legal Aid - Depends entirely upon your individual financial circumstances and also the case /prospect of success I believe.

3) Would this affect my credit filelink3.gif in terms of employment. I have recently applied for another job and they want to check my credit file. Yes, the CCJ would be registered if you didn't pay within the prescribed time. You can also apply to pay in instalments using Form N245.

4) I checked for debt solicitors and they charge £200 an hour and I can no way afford to have legal representation. Is it possible to represent myself? As stated above, yes you can. However, if you lose, and I tend to think that you will, you will end up paying significantly more in legal fees for the University's costs.

Do you have any records of proof of posting or still have the income proof that the LEA asked for? This is what you should be concentrating on in my opinion. Your dispute is with them and you were foolish to ignore the University's demands for payment.

Sorry if this is not the opinion you wanted to hear. I appreciate your frustration but you will end up significantly further in debt if you appeal this decision.

If you feel I've helped then by all means click my star to the left...a simple "thank you" costs nothing! ;)

Restons MBNA -v- WelshMam

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

thanks soo much for the info, i do apreiate it. I understand that I am suffering the consequences of my foolishness:(

So is set aside different to appealing? what is the main difference?

i can still provide the proof for the income via contacting Inland Revenue.

The uni did send me letters a few years ago about the situation, that's when I contacted the LEA (who don't have any inof on it). Then they started to send letters to my sisters house for some reason, which I didnt have no knowledge about (technically).

Anyway the uni then sent me a few letters in feb of this year in regards to the situation to my parernts house where I live. I did try to call the finance officer who was dealing with my case at the uni 3 times of so in march, which I never got hold off her. Despite her leaving me messages on my mobile to call her at a particular time and she was never there to take my call. I can prove this by my phone Bill, that I did call the university at that time.

I did recieve court letters in regards to the situation in May time. I didnt understand it so therefore I called the court to be greeted by a very dismissive person on the phone. She told me theres nothing I need to do about the sitiuation. Which now I understand was incorrectr info. I can again prove I called the court in may by my phone bill.

How would I explain why i didnt respond to the courts sooner? :(