lizzy40

For what reason can a LandLord give a bad reference?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3652 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Can I ask to see the reference given from the previous landlord as been turned down new tenancy?

Are you sure it is a bad reference from a previous LL and not adverse credit report?

Yes the last LL threaten to make things difficult for my daughter who is renting near her univeristy because she had been a couple of times late with rent. We are only talking a few weeks at the most, her student loan came two weeks after the rent was due and they wouldn't change the rent date. Seems a bit harsh to me!

I doubt if they can give a bad reference unless a default was raised. I would check my credit file first. If the credit file is okay, then you may have a case against the previous LL but I am not too sure how you proceed. Maybe CAB can give you some advice.

I was going to ask what particlar issues do you think would mean a landlord would turdown a tenancy, and then you answered with late payment of rent. While a landlord is under no obligation to give a reference whatsoever, if a reference is given, and its factual i.e. late rent, than you have very little comeback.

Even if the rent was only a week late? Being classed as a late payer could mean weeks or even months late?