atira

Bailiff visit from Ross and Roberts. Payment in advance.

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3653 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi,

recently (09 August) i have received a letter with warning of intended Bailiff Visit from Ross and Roberts regarding my Council Tax payments. I am not familliar with the law regulations in England so it took me some time to figure out how to make a payments. I was told that to pay for Council Tax i need some plastic card so I contacted the Council and they told that they have sent it like 3 months ago but I told them that I've never received it. A month ago I finally found a way how to pay through the internet. Now I have payed all my debt but they requested that i make a payment for 6 months in advance! Even if my tenancy agreement ends at 18th of December.

The question is - can they send a bailiffs to collect the payment for 6 months in advance?

Every one is giving the chance to pay their council tax on a monthly basis, however if you miss a few months then they demand the whole year that is outstanding.

Council tax year ends in April 2011.

I am afraid that they can ask for payment for the rest of the year, then what they do is refund the amount that you have overpaid when you move out of your current address. You can try and request a new payment plan.

Thank you! I will try to contact Council once more to request a new payment plan.

If all else fails, advise your council that you are leaving your property at the end of the month and ask them to send a final bill. This will effectively get rid of the bailiffs and your need to pay til the end of the council's financial year.

Then at the beginning of the next month, just advise the council that you've changed your mind and are staying! New account will start with no arrears.

Sometimes you just have to think outside the box!

Good Luck ..

Impecunious! ;)