Some Browsers - Post New Thread doesn't work

jimbo45
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4995 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there - To the Moderators please

Perhaps the wrong thread but on Windows XP with IE7 The new Forum layout won't allow me to post a New thread and even on reply only the small Post Quick reply screen pops up. Edit however is OK.

On Post new thread I just get a white screen with no possibility of data entry. Boxes to enter thread title etc are also missing.

I'm posting this on a colleagues computer running Windows 7 as a Virtual Machine with IE8 on an Apple Macbook. No problem so it seems Windows XP and IE7 related. I can't upgrade that computer because its a Work PC where you can't upgrade the software but XP and IE7 are still current so should work properly.

Please move post to more appropriate place if necessary. I notice other people have been having some sort of glitches with the new Forum software --hopefully it can be fixed.

Thanks

Jimbo

Edited by jimbo45

Guest Cartaphilus

After having really bad problems trying to get the forum to load last night, I tried IE8, had the same. I am using the latest Mozilla. I had to use a cached page to log in.

I have the same problems, Jimbo.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Guest Cartaphilus

Mmm, well ... I couldn't even get the page up for over 4 hours this morning - occured between 12 am and approximately 4 am. Which is why I used a cached page, eventually, once I got that to work as those weren't loading up. A couple of times a '502 bad gateway' message popped up; the rest just a time out message. However, I did wonder if it was a high volume/usage thing but at the time it was between. Earlier this afternoon, I had a similar problem but once I started using the forum more after not being logged in for a while it appeared to sort itself out apart from the occasional instance where I knew I had put quotations around a post then after entering they weren't there.

PS I've been using computers in one form or another since around 1983. ;)

Hi there

I think I explained in my Post that I COULDN'T update the software --sometimes when you are using WORK computers which unless you have admin rights on them are tightly locked down against software updates.

There's no prob on my own laptop -- Windows 7 plus IE8.

What doesn't seem to work is Windows XP with IE7 on it -- maybe also because I'm currently working in France the server might get its knickers in a twist because I've got a non UK IP address at the moment -- shouldn't really be an issue but Computers tend to have a mind of their own.

Cheers

Jimbo

Guest Cartaphilus

Something I perhaps wrongly assumed about all of it was I am logged in both on my PC and mobile phone and I had noticed that though I have been logged out on the PC, and can see I am, my phone remains logged in. So it appears I am here 24/7. Anyway, wondered if that was causing some conflict somewhere as both phone and PC use the same internet provider.

Guest Cartaphilus

I know, I just thought about it. I know it was (in my case) a 'handshake' problem between servers, whilst for others they may be getting different glitches depending on their individual set ups. It was okay last week, though. For me anyway. However, I kept checking everynow and again to see when things had sorted themselves out on my phone, as well as on the PC, but kept getting TCP error messages on the phone (no idea what browser that uses but it's symbian based software and the phone is only about 2 months old). Anyway, things are running okay now.

Edited by Cartaphilus

Google chrome appears to be error free I would recommend it downloads in a minute, keeps thumbnail pics of all your most visited sites on home page, give it a try

I have no legal training, any knowledge I have has come from this forum, and my own experiences. Always balance up any advice you get with your own common sense.

Hi all

I think I mentioned that I CANT INSTALL software on the machine I'm using as it is a work PC so its Windows XP and IE7 whether I like it or not.

On my own laptop running Windows 7 with IE8 site works perfectly so it has to be XP related somehow.

The other problem with CHROME - even if I could install it is that it doesn't support some sites I need access to where ACTIVE-X is required.

Cheers

jimbo

I'm using XP Pro + Opera on a Dell Latitude D500 laptop and other than when the server was in overdrive yesterday & things were a little sluggish everything's fine.

One thing I do notice with Opera is that it's a lot faster than IE + it has a 'turbo' function for slower connections and pages that are slow in loading. It supports Active X too.

Speak to your employer about IE8 what harm can it do them. If anything it will be to their advantage as I believe that the security has been improved.

I have no legal training, any knowledge I have has come from this forum, and my own experiences. Always balance up any advice you get with your own common sense.

Well at my age I must admit I don't like change as it usually means learning to do something differently just when you have sorted it all out!! Slowly re-learning, though must admit to having a few occasions when I would normally have logged in, when I thought I 'couldn't be bothered' but that was usually after suffering a problem of some sort or another on site. Will hopefully frequent more ofter as I learn.

Guest Cartaphilus

Well I am a bit old fashioned but change can be viewed as good or ill weather. But the past has a lot teach us about the future. Though rapidly having seen many changes I begin to lose faith as to where I fit into that future. Even when I know I adapt to change easily, in some ways embrace on others frown. Depends.

Guest Cartaphilus

All I can say is it's not a problem confined to people's PCs ... It would not appear to be browser related eg anything we are doing wrong. Or if it is, it's affecting different browsers. Say for example trying to view the forum on my phone which I couldn't between the times I posted yesterday so I know there was a definite problem if two totally different sets of equipment had the same problem.

I have Mozilla 3.6.8. I also tried it on IE8 when the page wouldn't load - it wasn't only the main forum it was anything with the sites name in it on the website title. Every other website was working fine. What I did start noticing this week, or last couple of days was when hitting reply, no matter which icon I clicked on eg quick reply or the one in the bottom of the last post above, it kept taking me to the 'quick reply' one so I couldn't use the advanced features on a full post. Of course, I have also fallen foul (if you like) of the no editing after 5 minutes thing and it has been worrying me if I accidentally I may paste a link or some documentation and forget to edit personal data out.

Anyway, I am sure it will all sort itself out in the fullness of time.