White_Glass

does ESA backdate the first 13 weeks?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3645 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Heyy, on ESA benefit...

Employment and Support Allowance

They make you wait 13 weeks, on like, up to £50 pay, then put you on a different rate, they evaluate you in the first 13weeks, do they backdate this? as in, when they decide i need £80 a week, do they add on the extra £30 a week i was missing out on for the 13weeeks of evaluation, surely they do?

Thanks

No. You are paid at the lower rate "assessment phase rate" for the first 91 days of your claim. If you pass the medical (in other words, are found to have limited capability for work), your payments will increase from day 92 of your claim, not day 1.

If the assessment process takes longer than the 92 days, and it often does, the additional amount will be backdated to day 92.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

WTF... You were unable to work on Day1 though, are you sure? That's just taking the mick!

Antone is quite correct, White_glass. It states very clearly in any documentation you can get for ESA that for the first 13 weeks (or 91 days) of your claim, that you will be paid the assessment rate, and no more. That's what everyone gets in the first 13 weeks, regardless of how bad their health is. The DWP are not liable to back date you pay that is surplus to what you received at assessment rate if you pass your medical. They are only liable to back pay anything if you are entitled to the benefit and they STOP paying you for no good reason.

Whatever group you get put into, if any, you will get a little more, but nothing will be backdated except on the grounds above. I agree, the rates do extract the urine a bit, given how expensive it is to live, but that's what you agree to when you look into and actually claim. They don't raise the rates just because a few people want to say to them hey - give me more money! The govt would be heavily out of pocket if they hugely upped the rates just because people wanted it, and that's something they really don't like!

Did you actually do any research into this benefit before submitting your claim? I don't mean to come across as harsh, apologies if I have, but it sounds currently like you've heard only a tiny fraction of info, assumed it was the benefit for you and applied. unfortunately, the DWP catch a lot of claimants out this way.