style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3607 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

My husband bought a motorbike from a website. It's a Chinese import and is brand new. He paid the deposit and it was imported and built for him.

It was delivered today and he checked it over and paid the remaining balance. But once he'd signed for it he was given some paperwork and then told he'd have to register it himself, and pay duty to the DVLA - which he was not told about. We're looked all over the website and it says nothing about this anywhere. At no point did the guy he was dealing with mention that he would have to register the bike himself in order to get a reg plate and insure and tax it.

Where do we stand? Should the company refund this money?

If I have been helpful in any way, please tip my scales :lol:

can you send the link for the website and/or any info they sent you

buy2wheels.co. uk. and the bike is a huoniao 125-8

Edited by maroondevo52
Removed commercial link.

bump..

deathbycrayons, do you want this thread moved to the DVLA Forum ?

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Well no because it's a question of consumer rights and possibly the trades description act..

Oh, right.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

If you don't mind me asking, how much was the registration and duty?

£55 and £15. May not be very much but it's kind of the principle.

Guest wino

I cannot seem to find the web site. Can you post a link please?

I did but it got edited by a mod as it was a commercial link. It's there on post #3 you have to copy and past and remove the gap :)

I know that if you import a car from abroad it is always the responsibility of the intended owner/keeper to pay all import duty. The company used seems to be a well established business, i don't believe this to be any kind of [problem], just a misunderstanding. What was the company's response to your complaint?

Unless the seller advised that you would be receiving the bike fully taxed and duty paid, along with it's first registration, you will find it impossible to get this back from the company. There firsm are happy to supply but do not ensure that local registration and type-class (EU) confirmation certificates are provided as part of the purchase process. Indeed, UK dealers, who used to provide this service FoC, now make a charge in addition to the list price for the vehicle. ONLY where an OTR (on the road) price is quoted is this an acceptance of all fees are paid.

It is also additionally risky, because if the model is not listed as being type-approved for the UK, then the DVLA will not licence it. As it was a personal import from a foreign company, by yourself - it is you who has to do the additional legwork and pay for the cost, and when it comed to insurance you will have to declare is is NOT a UK model but an import, which may add even more money to the process of getting it on the road.

It came with paperwork - a declaration that the vehicle is new (V267), and a certificate of conformity stamped and signed by the chinese manufacturer and it states "The vehicle can be permanently regisitered without requiring any further approvals, for driving on the right/left and for using metric/imperial units for the speedometer".

Good - at least this means the formal registration will be a breeze, however unless they say there'd pay dot this, you'll need to pay it yourself.

Thanks for that. Do you have any idea how long it takes from the time they receive the payment for registration to when we'll receive the plate?

Fairly quick, local offices do it on the spot and the paperwork follows abbot a week later. You don't actually get a plate, just the V5c, and you'll be one of the first to get the new RED ones!

Oh, OK so do you have to pay extra on top to obtain a plate?

Yep - no more than £8 for a 5 x 7, you can even customize it with yor phone number and nationals flag. You can do it online too. You'll need the DVLA to confirm the issued VRM for the plate firm.

DVLA have really dragged their heels with the registration. Hubby insured the bike on the 27th Aug, and then had 21 days to send them his provisional licence and cbt and 27 days for all the registration documents approved by the DVLA - we moved house on the 1st August and had to change the address on our licences before he sent the insurers his photocopies of licence and CBT. We finally received these back on the 13th September, so the DVLA were sent all the documents that same day. We've still not had anything and the insurers have said if they don't received all the relevant documents by the 22nd of Sept, the insurance will be void and cancelled.

I don't know what to do. This bike has been nothing but trouble :(

Your licence has nothing to do with any formal requirement for Registration - although they are trying to stop people registering under false names specifically to avoid congestion charging and the like. Shame you hadn;t taken a scan of them, as your insurers will probably have accepted this (in fact, taking a copy of ANTHING you send to DVLA is a must, bearing in mind the amount of communications that go missing!).

But the insurance company HAVE to see the registration documents within 27 days of the policy starting. DVLA have taken their time with this. Also, it's not taxed untill it's registered. But the insurers insist that the policy will be cancelled and void if they don't see the reg documents by TOMORROW.

Find a different insurance company.

I have been insuring vehicles for over 40 years and have never, ever had to provide a copy of a V5C. You will have been given a copy of the Pre-Registration form, that provides the VIN and other manufacturer's info that the DVLA use to create the V5C. Since the DVLA have not provided your with the relevant document, you cannot provide it to the Insurer... what do they expect you to do? Forge one?

Since the pre-reg soc (I can't remember the V number for it) provides the same information providing this is an acceptable alternative/compromise. When I got my new scooter, my Insurers registered the VIN (as there was no VRM allocated) this provided cover to permit the first VED to be issued. Once this was done, the insurers did a policy amendment to replace the VIN with the VRM.

OK thanks. The insurer is rampdale, we couldnt find ANY other insurer that recognised this chinese import.