debsinbrighton

bank account not showing on credit file

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3645 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hello, I am new to this forum and hope someone can help.

I am 32 years old and for my whole life I have only banked with Natwest. I opened an account with them when I was a student in 1997, and since then have had a current account, savings, ISA, and two credit cards.

A few years ago I applied for another bank account and was turned down. I didn't think much of it, which in retrospect was probably a mistake.

Now my partner and I are trying to get a mortgage, and ordered our credit reports from both Equifax and Experian. I was surprised that neither listed my natwest accounts, and therefore I had effectively no credit history. I assumed this was a mistake, and contacted both credit reference companies, who advised me to ask Natwest to contact them and ask them to pass on my account details. I spoke to my branch manager, who explained that prior to 1998 Natwest didn't pass on any information to credit reference companies, and that they still weren't authorised to pass on the details of anyone whose account was opened before that date. I therefore gave him my permission to do pass my details on, and he wrote a letter to both agencies giving them my account numbers, dates the accounts were opened, past addresses, and a statement to say that all of my accounts had been operated in a satisfactory manner. I have a copy of this letter.

I have just heard back from Equifax, who say that they are still unable to update my credit file as they are 'unable to locate these accounts'. I am not sure what they mean by this or what to do about it. I have supplied them with all of the information they asked for and am not sure what to do next.

If I cannot get this information added, then I will continue to be turned down for credit by other banks and presumably won't be able to get a mortgage. It seems pretty unfair, as I have paid my credit card off every month without fail since I was 18 years old, and therefore feel I should have excellent credit.

I called Equifax but the person I spoke to said there was nothing she could do, she had poor English, didn't seem to understand what I was saying, and claimed there was no supervisor I could speak to.

Do credit reference companies have any legal obligation to add this information to my file? Should I make a formal complaint?

Thanks for your help!

Sorry to pester but can anyone help with this?

Does anyone know if credit reference companies have a legal obligation to correct my report, and if so which law I can quote at them?

Sounds like they haven't recieved any infomation from your bank, the banks pass on the account information to the CRA's, if they can't find it then they won't have received it yet.

Thanks. Trouble is Natwest have definitely supplied this (I was copied into the letter) but they still aren't updating their records.

I believe they get the information monthly so it might be worth waiting a month (if you can?) and see if it's there this time next month. If it isn't then, then I'd raise the issue again. You can get free trials with all 3 CRA's or a £2 report, if 1 of them has it you know it's passed on, if none of them have it then get back to your bank.