Bailiffs instructed despite letter explaining I'm not the debtor

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4167 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Last week I inadvertantly opened a letter for the previous owner of our house. It was a warrant of execution for an unpaid parking fine 3 years ago. I immediatly wrote to the council to expain that I was not the person in question and that I had no knowledge of him or the vehicle involved. I also asked in the letter for written confirmation that no bailiff would be instructed to attend my property.

Having heard nothing back I called the council today to request this confirmation and was told that the bailiffs had been instructed and that it was up to me to provide them with evidence that I was not the person in question. Can this really be right? I am at home alone with a small baby all day at the moment and do not feel comfortable being told that I need to wait for them to turn up when I will be given the opportunity to prove my identity before they start to seize my belongings. The man at the council did tell me I could try to contact the bailiffs first (apparantly it's a company called Jacobs) to see if they would accept written proof.

So, where do I stand? Is the onus really on me to prove that they have no right to come onto my property and seize my goods? As I pointed out the the guy at the council it would be easy for them to check the council tax records to see who lives here...

Very many thanks in advance for any advice.

NatWest Charges: £3708.81. Allocated to fast track 14/10/06. *SETTLED IN FULL* 23/10/06 5% donation made

HSBC Default Removal and £186 charges: N1 claim issued 28/11/06 *WON* 28/02/07 5% donation made

Egg Charges: £370. N1 claim issued 24/11/06. *SETTLED IN FULL* 12/01/07 5% donation made

Natwest Student: £150. N1 claim issued 24/11/06. *SETTLED IN FULL* 10/12/06 5% donation made

Natwest Credit card: £317.01 INCLUDING CONTRACTUAL INTEREST, *WON* 30/11/06 5% Donation Made

Ikano Data Protection Act deception and non-complience: N1 claim issued 28/11/06. *SETTLED IN FULL* 12/12/06 5% donation made

I am not a lawyer. All advice is merely my own opinion. Nevertheless, I've won £4675 so far!

Tip my scales if you like my advice :)

Last week I inadvertantly opened a letter for the previous owner of our house. It was a warrant of execution for an unpaid parking fine 3 years ago. I immediatly wrote to the council to expain that I was not the person in question and that I had no knowledge of him or the vehicle involved. I also asked in the letter for written confirmation that no bailiff would be instructed to attend my property.

Having heard nothing back I called the council today to request this confirmation and was told that the bailiffs had been instructed and that it was up to me to provide them with evidence that I was not the person in question. Can this really be right? I am at home alone with a small baby all day at the moment and do not feel comfortable being told that I need to wait for them to turn up when I will be given the opportunity to prove my identity before they start to seize my belongings. The man at the council did tell me I could try to contact the bailiffs first (apparantly it's a company called Jacobs) to see if they would accept written proof.

So, where do I stand? Is the onus really on me to prove that they have no right to come onto my property and seize my goods? As I pointed out the the guy at the council it would be easy for them to check the council tax records to see who lives here...

Very many thanks in advance for any advice.

If it was me and its my personal opinion, If the baliffs were to turn up I would politly inform them that I have no buiness with them and they must remove themselves from my door or you will call the police.

Be prepared to call the police and what ever happens do not let in either the baliffs or the police as you do not have to.

Be strong as you have a legal and moral right to protect your home..

If you are in rented accommodation ask your landlord to call them and get them to fax your tenancy agreement to them to prove that you are not the person that they are looking for and that they moved out. I did this and it had worked for me.

If you own your home send them a copy of your council tax as proof. This can be photo copied and sent as a JPEG, send a copy to both the council and the bailiff company.

Hi

Just today the same has happened to me. I contacted both the Sheriffs Officers company and the council both by phone to alert them of my intention and via email to confirm in writing. The SO's didn't care or want to know but the council checked my council tax record and after a bit of harassment called the SO's off my case.

The council have enough information on you and surely you have proof of who you are such as passport or driving license that you don't need further evidence for proof of identity.

The template letters offered by the people on this site are fantastic and I cannot recommend this place highly enough!!!

Just keep on at them. If it's not your issue, let them sort it.

God I REALLY HATE Bailiff's more and more with every passing day --they make even the scummiest DCA seem like Mother Theresa. They are nothing more than thugs and bullies who pick on the most vulnerable and financially distressed people while zillions of con artists and [problematic] get away with milions of pounds every year.

If you aren't the debtor just don't waste your time -- tell the Bailiff's to "Go and Make a sexual Move with a Duck" and call the Police as well if they don't leave.

THEY HAVE 100% NO RIGHT TO COLLECT ANYTHING THEY ARE NOT ENTITLED TO and even when they ARE entitled to collect especially for things like Council Tax their rights are fairly limited and there are strict procedures that must be followed and proscribed scales of fees too.

If the debt wasn't mine I'd probably invite the wretches into the house and go to the bog while the Rottweilers started licking their chops about their new Dinner Menu for the evening.

Cheers

jimbo

we had hat problem them trying to collect for someone that wasnt here arrogant so and so he was he lied through his teeth (think Ive put this up somewhere before) went to estate agents as house for sale and told them all about it when confronted about DPA said that he thaught house was empty property my partner was in at time cat at window music on Threatened them with DPA breakages never heard back since

• 2 weeks later...