• Tweets

• I'm still pondering/ trying to find docs re the above issue. Moving on - same saga; different issue I'm trying to understand what I can do: The lender/ mortgagee-in-possession has a claim v me for alleged debt. But the debt has only been incurred due to them failing to sell property in >5y. I'm fighting them on this.   I've been trying to get an order for sale for 2y.  I got it legally added into my counterclaim - but that will only be dealt with at trial.  This is really frustrating. The otherside's lawyers made an application to adjourn trial for a few more months - allegedly wanting to try sort some kind of settlement with me and to use the stay to sell.  At the hearing I asked Judge to expedite the order for sale. I pointed out they need a court-imposed deadline or this adjournment is just another time wasting tactic (with interest still accruing) as they have no buyer.  But the judge said he could legally only deal with the order at trial. The otherside don't want to be forced to sell the property.. Disclosure has presented so many emails which prove they want to keep it. I raised some points with the judge including misconduct of the receiver. The judge suggested I may have a separate claim against the receiver?   On this point - earlier paid-for lawyers said my counterclaim should be directed at the lender for interference with the receiver and the lender should be held responsible for the receiver's actions/ inactions.   I don't clearly understand that, but their legal advice was something to do with the role a receiver has acting as an agent for a borrower which makes it hard for a borrower to make a claim against a receiver ???.  However the judge's comment has got me thinking.  He made it clear the current claim is lender v me - it's not receiver v me.  Yet it is the receiver who is appointed to sell the property. (The receiver is mentioned/ involved in my counterclaim only from the lender collusion/ interference perspective).  So would I be able to make a separate application for an order for sale against the receiver?  Disclosure shows receiver has constantly rejected offers. He gave a contract to one buyer 4y ago. But colluded with the lender's lawyer to withdraw the contract after 2w to instead give it to the ceo of the lender (his own ltd co) (using same lawyer).  Emails show it was their joint strategy for lender/ ceo to keep the property.  The receiver didn't put the ceo under any pressure to exchange quickly.  After 1 month they all colluded again to follow a very destructive path - to gut the property.  My account was apparently switched into a "different fund" to "enable them to do works" (probably something to do with the ceo as he switched his ltd co accountant to in-house).   Interestingly the receiver told lender not to incur significant works costs and to hold interest.  The costs were huge (added to my account) and interest was not held.   The receiver rejected a good offer put forward by me 1.5y ago.  And he rejected a high offer 1y ago - to the dismay of the agent.  Would reasons like this be good enough to make a separate application to the court against the receiver for an order for sale ??  Or due to the main proceedings and/or the weird relationship a borrower has with a receiver I cannot ?
    • so a new powerless B2B debt DCA set up less than a month ago with a 99% success rate... operating on a NWNF basis , but charging £30 to set up your use of them. that's gonna last 5mins.... = SPAMMERS AND SCAMMERS. a DCA is NOT a BAILIFF and have  ZERO legal powers on ANY debt - no matter WHAT its type. dx      
    • Migrants are caught in China's manufacturing battles with the West, as Beijing tries to save its economy.View the full article
    • You could send an SAR to DCbl on the pretext that you are going for a breach of your GDPR . They should then send the purported letter of discontinuance which may show why it ended up in Gloucester and see if you can get your  costs back on the day. It obviously won't be much but  at least perhaps a small recompense for your wasted day. Not exactly wasted since you had a great win  albeit much sweeter if you had beat them in Court. But a win is a win so well done. We will miss you as it has been almost two years since you first started out on this mission. { I would n't be surprised if the wrong Court was down to DCBL}. I see you said "till the next time" but I am guessing you will be avoiding private patrolled car parks for a while.🙂
    • It is extremely disappointing that you haven't told us anything about the result of the hearing. You came here at the very last minute and the regulars - all unpaid volunteers - sweated blood trying to get an acceptable Witness Statement prepared in an extremely short time. The least you could have done is tell us how the hearing went, information invaluable for future users. Evidently not.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Dvla

derrenlewis
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4998 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I am after a bit of advice....my mother has fallen foul of the DVLA. In summary my mother had some building work done, and placed a skip on the driveway. She moved her vehicle (it had to be towed) onto a piece of council land temporarily at the rear of the house where vehicles are parked which is adjacent to a park (it has council garages at one end and a flat space where people park, then there is a slope where there is a park). Whilst it was there, it was visited by an ADURWATCH (council warden) who said it would have to move within 2 weeks. This was followed up by a letter giving 7 days to move it. The work was done, the skip was gone, so it was pushed and towed back onto the driveway. It was parked there for less than 2 weeks.

Then the trouble started....DVLA sent a letter saying the SORN had expired....without going into a long winded turn of events it appears they take NO responsibilty for sending reminders, incredible as it seems, my elderly pensioner mother has to chase THEM up? So the fine was paid (un)fair enough as this is how the law stands, SORN re-declared etc. Then we recieve another letter stating "the vehicle was seen on the public highway" on the date of the ADURWATCH visit and ANOTHER £105 to pay! To cut to the chase my argument is:

1) Its council property.It is used as a car park, with an adjacent access road. The access road to the rear of the property is a private road, it is maintained by the private householders (including my mother). It is not shown on any road maps, has no name,is not an A or B road etc. The DVLA claimed at first the parking area was a verge so part of the public highway. When sent a letter from the council confirming it wasn't, and never has been part of the public highway, they are still insisting on the fine. They have changed their arguement to "If a person uses, or keeps a vehicle which is unlicensed he is guilty of an offence". If this is the case, why did we have to pay the SORN non renewl charge AND now a charge for being unlicensed at the same time? Surely it is one or the other? It seems they are detemind to TAX my mother regardless of the vehicle bein kept on a private drive, and being declared SORN. The council asked us to move it, we did, its their property so why do the DVLA have the power to continue to harrass my mother. Everytime we have pointed out the flaw in their agument, they just seem to change the offence?We have sent several letters to them yet every time they change the wording of the offence????

So it wasn't on the public highway, wasn't on a verge, was on a council car park, and the fine for non-renewl of SORN was duly paid, and it was moved as the council requested and within the time limit they allowed. Any help with this would be appreciated.....they now are doing the court summons etc.

Edited by derrenlewis

Welcome to CAG. The issue is not what you expect. Where you mum's car is located is irrelevant, as even if it remained in her driveway, she would STILL Be fined for not declaring SORN or re-taxing. The warning letter is contained within the V11 Renewal document, so if this is not acted upon, a fine will result automatically. The situation you describe above is typical, but not connected - the car could have been on the street or on private ground on in her back yard, the location is immaterial, she MUST Tax or SORN. If you do not do either, then the assumption is that the car needs taxing and they fine you accordingly.

Buzby the OP has admitted the SORN bit and paid that fine. The DVLA are now trying to fine them for having an unlicenced vehilce on a public highway as they are classing the council car park as a public highway. Anyway that is how I am understanding the post.

There are two sections in the Vehicle Excise & Registration Act 1994 that are relevant to the OPs case. One is the Late Licensing Penalty, which it seems the OP's mother has paid, and being the registered keeper of an unlicensed vehicle, which Buzby refers to and which is a different matter.

In my view, where the car is parked is irrelevant, as the primary issue of the Continuous Registration process is that a vehicles must be taxed or SORNed. There is a fine for no SORN declaration, butr this is in addition to the back tac claimed. You are not allowed to backdate a SORN, only a VED for months missing since the previous VED expired or the earlier SORN. A council car park isn't a highway, but it isn't private land either - so she could have been done for the more serious issue of having an untaxed car in a place other than her driveway or private land.

That is fair enough, but would a council car park be classed under the Highways Act etc? It seems the car park is not actually a public car park but rather one for residents living locally.

Nothing to do with the highways Act, the definition is in the Vehicles Excise & Registration Act 1994. Vehicles must be licensed if they are used or kept on a Public Road. The definition of a public road is 'a road maintained at public expense'. If where the vehicle was is not considered to be a public road, the vehicle would still need to be licensed, or SORN, if it is neither licensed nor SORN that is a different offence under VERA 1994.

Hi, thanks for the replies. Basically, the vehicle is on the DVLA record as taxed until 28/02/10. Then the SORN declaration was sent off, but the DVLA claim they didn't recieve it, and an LPP was charged. When this was paid on 27/05/10 another declaration of SORN was filed online, and took effect from this date onwards.( I am still waiting for the confirmation letter and have requested a second one sent out.) So basically, we paid an LPP, which I am assuming was to cover the period of 29/02/10 until when it was issued which was the 14/05/10. The next offence occurred on the 11/05/10 which is obviously during the time she paid the LPP. So why now is there another charge of £105, this I don't understand. What exactly was the LPP paying for? Why do we have to pay 2 fines? I understand now that it isn't a case of being on the road as they basically will fine you anywhere, so if it had remained on the drive the LPP would still have arrived. The issue was clouded as the DVLA have been insisting the vehicle was "seen on the Public Highway" which was surely not the case.

Saying that though the last letter recieved from the DVLA quotes:

In October 2008 the legislation which applies to this case was amended. The wording "on a public road a vehicle (not being an exempt vehicle)" was replaced with "a vehicle" so s29(1) now reads "If a person uses, or keeps a vehicle which is unlicensed he is guilty of a offence" all record of public road has been removed. But on the leaflet INF51 in the paragragh Vehicle Excise Duty/Stautory Off Road Notification (SORN) it says: "It is an offence for a keeper to make a Statutory Declaration (SORN) and take the unlicensed vehicle on a public road whilst the SORN is in force."

So this clearly states the word "road" which seems a contradiction of the s29(1) whatever that is.....

So in summary, I can see an offence has happened according to Law, but why a Late Payment Penalty and an additional charge? Sorry its so long winded but you should try reading the letters I have got from the DVLA, as clear as mud. Thanks again for the replies.

Two Different things, a claim for the Late Licensing Penalty, s.7A VERA 1994, and the offence of being the registered keeper of an unlicensed vehicle, s.29 VERA 1994 - you may find that the £105 is an out of court settlement offer plus the unpaid tax between when the licence expired and when they say SORN commenced.

There are many posts on this and other forums about DVLA 'losing' SORN declarations and then claiming the Late Licensing Penalty and the out of court settlement for no licence!!

So its two offences hence the two fines, but both relate to the SORN not being applied nothing to do with where it was parked, she would have recieved the fines anyway..... BigBrother has a need to know where all vehicles are at all times, couldn't a SORN just last say 5 years or when the vehicle returns to the road....whats the difference anyway between 1 year and indefinately, it could still be taken on the road anytime. Amazing that an unusable/broken vehicle vehicle that is parked off the highway and spends most of its time on a private drive could commit such an offence.....also amazed at the DVLA shirking their responsibility about the missing SORN declarations, after all they are paid to do a job, but as you say, there are thousands out there being fined and treated with this sloppy customer service....what a rip off the DVLA are.

Thanks for the reply, it seems that no matter what the DVLA want mums pension money....still at 63 it was very irresponsible of her not to chase up the DVLA.....the main thing that has got to her is that she is being treated as a criminal but from her point of view has done nothing wrong, she had paid her car tax all her life.

The reason why it is 12 months and not infinite (as indeed it would be in the old days when a VED expired), is not only to make money, but to run in parallell with VED renewal requirements. At 13 months and over their database of vehicles actually 'off road' will already be wildly inaccurate, so having the 12 month renewal helps draw this back. The whole thing stinks, of course - but we've got to work with it whilst it still is a legal requirement.

WITH REGARD TO THE ADVERT THAT APPEARS WITHIN THIS POST, I NEITHER REQUESTED NOR APPROVE OF ITS PLACEMENT WITHIN THIS FORUM POST.

Edited by buzby
Ojection to enforced advert within forum post