• Tweets

• This is what I do not understand It was for a data sim card where EE took £20 in advance for 20gb of data each month on a month by month rolling contract and once I had used the data it would switch off so impossible to use any more than I had already paid for. If I wanted to carry on using it i would have to log on and pay another £20.   I used the service for a few months and then did not renew the contract and heard no more    My bank account was used for ID purposes only and was my main bank account with all my wages and d/d and held for 7 years plus, no insurance was taken out and no other accounts opened.   This is my point EE have listed this and has no connected with the data they have entered        
    • I am aware of this treatment. Field Debt Solutions approached me at my door claiming to have a warrant of entry, (one of many lies they used) they KNEW I was classed as vulnerable prior to the visit. This was (later found out by The Ombudsman) allegedly to install a pre payment meter (They know I can not use one). Long story short: I was threatened with criminal damage, the police and them not moving till I let them in. They stated they had a warrant, they did not. One FDS employee was waving a crowbar and smiling, the other was basically terrorising me through the window. I complained to EON and all that they did was lie further, covered up their behaviours After contacting the OMBUDSMAN all the truth came out. I am totally disgusted with the way this company operate. I am equally disgusted that the Ombudsman ere not taking any of the FDS Employees behaviours into account (yet all my claims were upheld) this feels like this section of the whole process is left wide open and that's why this is happening imho. The Ombudsman made me feel like they work for EON, (when it came to the consideration of the employees from FDS, they seemed immune to scrutiny) a very confusing and shocking experience when the penny drooped. I have looked at CISA (?) whom are some sort of organisation who debt collection agencies register with (no idea what for) anyway, FDS are not registered, I can not find them anywhere, they are like some sort of enigma and this is where i am thinking how they are protecting themselves from scrutiny and people gaining remedy from them. I also witnessed a EON employee telling me that "FDS do not have to answer anyone," they would not give me any way of complaining directly to them as is the Gov's advice before A Small Claims Tract. I am just making sure now that I record all my efforts to do what I can to give a chance for FDS to attempt to put right what they did to me. I have witnesses and I intend to take them to court. EON has damned them and all the info they provided shows how messed up and disgusting they are, I seriously have witnessed staff laughing at me on the phone when I am trying to tell them what happened. I t seems if you do not pay a bill (in my case this was out of my hands) Then your deserving of what seems to me an inside laugh as the know how we (the vulnerable) get treated when FDS turn up, yes, very much felt this and challenged one employee once.. I have spoken to a Solicitor and they are happy  to do something for me over this. Also the police were phoned by myself even though they threatened me with police "To Help Them Take My DOOR OF ITS HINGES" The police did turn up, they told me that they rarely ever turn up for these idiots as the FDS and others attempt to use the police through bull crapping them. They also said go through a few hoops and if your not happy come back to them, I have a mobile number as they said that a crime number would come after I have exhausted the other moves. They do not like these Debt People one bit, that was comforting. Sorry if this is a little all over but it was all over complexed (I can see why now) but  just wanted to share my experiences and I will be happy to share further if anyone needs to know. I am still wondering what to do but one thing is for sure, I will not be going away, EVER! good luck
    • what does it say if the claimant fails please?
    • Thanks for the feedback.  We have a professional surveyor friend who is willing to give an opinion, and once done as you say, there's no reason not to inform insurers. And as Eric's brother says, that will also give us, hopefully, a more specific discussion with neighbours. No, we can't view the neighbour's roofing from where we are, and neither can they as it's under their conservatory (we always thought it was a bad move on their part to cover felting with a conservatory!) Interesting that council have enforcement powers, hadn't realised that.  I've also had a builder advise, without visiting the site, that the dividing wall (which may be double-skinned) should have waterproof capping, which it doesn't; so maybe a simple solution is to install that across top of both sides.  Anyway, some next steps for us to take so thanks again.
    • un-en doesn't mean its written off but SB'd passing does.. and no why should you get the money??   they are notional charges that weren't paid by you anyway in the 1st place as there is was outstanding balance greater than the refund.
  • Our picks

• Curry’s cancelled my order but took the money anyway. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423055-curry%E2%80%99s-cancelled-my-order-but-took-the-money-anyway/
      • 11 replies
    • Father passed away - Ardent Credit Services (Vodafone) now claiming he owes money. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423040-father-passed-away-ardent-credit-services-vodafone-now-claiming-he-owes-money/
      • 9 replies
    • Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 6 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.

I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.

I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.

No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.

The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.

They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.

They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.

I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?

Thanks for reading 
      • 16 replies
derrenlewis

Dvla

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3654 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi, I am after a bit of advice....my mother has fallen foul of the DVLA. In summary my mother had some building work done, and placed a skip on the driveway. She moved her vehicle (it had to be towed) onto a piece of council land temporarily at the rear of the house where vehicles are parked which is adjacent to a park (it has council garages at one end and a flat space where people park, then there is a slope where there is a park). Whilst it was there, it was visited by an ADURWATCH (council warden) who said it would have to move within 2 weeks. This was followed up by a letter giving 7 days to move it. The work was done, the skip was gone, so it was pushed and towed back onto the driveway. It was parked there for less than 2 weeks.

Then the trouble started....DVLA sent a letter saying the SORN had expired....without going into a long winded turn of events it appears they take NO responsibilty for sending reminders, incredible as it seems, my elderly pensioner mother has to chase THEM up? So the fine was paid (un)fair enough as this is how the law stands, SORN re-declared etc. Then we recieve another letter stating "the vehicle was seen on the public highway" on the date of the ADURWATCH visit and ANOTHER £105 to pay! To cut to the chase my argument is:

1) Its council property.It is used as a car park, with an adjacent access road. The access road to the rear of the property is a private road, it is maintained by the private householders (including my mother). It is not shown on any road maps, has no name,is not an A or B road etc. The DVLA claimed at first the parking area was a verge so part of the public highway. When sent a letter from the council confirming it wasn't, and never has been part of the public highway, they are still insisting on the fine. They have changed their arguement to "If a person uses, or keeps a vehicle which is unlicensed he is guilty of an offence". If this is the case, why did we have to pay the SORN non renewl charge AND now a charge for being unlicensed at the same time? Surely it is one or the other? It seems they are detemind to TAX my mother regardless of the vehicle bein kept on a private drive, and being declared SORN. The council asked us to move it, we did, its their property so why do the DVLA have the power to continue to harrass my mother. Everytime we have pointed out the flaw in their agument, they just seem to change the offence?We have sent several letters to them yet every time they change the wording of the offence????

So it wasn't on the public highway, wasn't on a verge, was on a council car park, and the fine for non-renewl of SORN was duly paid, and it was moved as the council requested and within the time limit they allowed. Any help with this would be appreciated.....they now are doing the court summons etc.

Edited by derrenlewis

Welcome to CAG. The issue is not what you expect. Where you mum's car is located is irrelevant, as even if it remained in her driveway, she would STILL Be fined for not declaring SORN or re-taxing. The warning letter is contained within the V11 Renewal document, so if this is not acted upon, a fine will result automatically. The situation you describe above is typical, but not connected - the car could have been on the street or on private ground on in her back yard, the location is immaterial, she MUST Tax or SORN. If you do not do either, then the assumption is that the car needs taxing and they fine you accordingly.

Buzby the OP has admitted the SORN bit and paid that fine. The DVLA are now trying to fine them for having an unlicenced vehilce on a public highway as they are classing the council car park as a public highway. Anyway that is how I am understanding the post.

They go hand in hand. Having paid the SORN fine you STILL have to pay for the VED to date, THEN you have to SORN it for real, or the fines will continue.

That is fair enough, but would a council car park be classed under the Highways Act etc? It seems the car park is not actually a public car park but rather one for residents living locally.

There are two sections in the Vehicle Excise & Registration Act 1994 that are relevant to the OPs case. One is the Late Licensing Penalty, which it seems the OP's mother has paid, and being the registered keeper of an unlicensed vehicle, which Buzby refers to and which is a different matter.

In my view, where the car is parked is irrelevant, as the primary issue of the Continuous Registration process is that a vehicles must be taxed or SORNed. There is a fine for no SORN declaration, butr this is in addition to the back tac claimed. You are not allowed to backdate a SORN, only a VED for months missing since the previous VED expired or the earlier SORN. A council car park isn't a highway, but it isn't private land either - so she could have been done for the more serious issue of having an untaxed car in a place other than her driveway or private land.

That is fair enough, but would a council car park be classed under the Highways Act etc? It seems the car park is not actually a public car park but rather one for residents living locally.

Nothing to do with the highways Act, the definition is in the Vehicles Excise & Registration Act 1994. Vehicles must be licensed if they are used or kept on a Public Road. The definition of a public road is 'a road maintained at public expense'. If where the vehicle was is not considered to be a public road, the vehicle would still need to be licensed, or SORN, if it is neither licensed nor SORN that is a different offence under VERA 1994.

Hi, thanks for the replies. Basically, the vehicle is on the DVLA record as taxed until 28/02/10. Then the SORN declaration was sent off, but the DVLA claim they didn't recieve it, and an LPP was charged. When this was paid on 27/05/10 another declaration of SORN was filed online, and took effect from this date onwards.( I am still waiting for the confirmation letter and have requested a second one sent out.) So basically, we paid an LPP, which I am assuming was to cover the period of 29/02/10 until when it was issued which was the 14/05/10. The next offence occurred on the 11/05/10 which is obviously during the time she paid the LPP. So why now is there another charge of £105, this I don't understand. What exactly was the LPP paying for? Why do we have to pay 2 fines? I understand now that it isn't a case of being on the road as they basically will fine you anywhere, so if it had remained on the drive the LPP would still have arrived. The issue was clouded as the DVLA have been insisting the vehicle was "seen on the Public Highway" which was surely not the case.

Saying that though the last letter recieved from the DVLA quotes:

In October 2008 the legislation which applies to this case was amended. The wording "on a public road a vehicle (not being an exempt vehicle)" was replaced with "a vehicle" so s29(1) now reads "If a person uses, or keeps a vehicle which is unlicensed he is guilty of a offence" all record of public road has been removed. But on the leaflet INF51 in the paragragh Vehicle Excise Duty/Stautory Off Road Notification (SORN) it says: "It is an offence for a keeper to make a Statutory Declaration (SORN) and take the unlicensed vehicle on a public road whilst the SORN is in force."

So this clearly states the word "road" which seems a contradiction of the s29(1) whatever that is.....

So in summary, I can see an offence has happened according to Law, but why a Late Payment Penalty and an additional charge? Sorry its so long winded but you should try reading the letters I have got from the DVLA, as clear as mud. Thanks again for the replies.

Two Different things, a claim for the Late Licensing Penalty, s.7A VERA 1994, and the offence of being the registered keeper of an unlicensed vehicle, s.29 VERA 1994 - you may find that the £105 is an out of court settlement offer plus the unpaid tax between when the licence expired and when they say SORN commenced.

There are many posts on this and other forums about DVLA 'losing' SORN declarations and then claiming the Late Licensing Penalty and the out of court settlement for no licence!!

So its two offences hence the two fines, but both relate to the SORN not being applied nothing to do with where it was parked, she would have recieved the fines anyway..... BigBrother has a need to know where all vehicles are at all times, couldn't a SORN just last say 5 years or when the vehicle returns to the road....whats the difference anyway between 1 year and indefinately, it could still be taken on the road anytime. Amazing that an unusable/broken vehicle vehicle that is parked off the highway and spends most of its time on a private drive could commit such an offence.....also amazed at the DVLA shirking their responsibility about the missing SORN declarations, after all they are paid to do a job, but as you say, there are thousands out there being fined and treated with this sloppy customer service....what a rip off the DVLA are.

Thanks for the reply, it seems that no matter what the DVLA want mums pension money....still at 63 it was very irresponsible of her not to chase up the DVLA.....the main thing that has got to her is that she is being treated as a criminal but from her point of view has done nothing wrong, she had paid her car tax all her life.

The reason why it is 12 months and not infinite (as indeed it would be in the old days when a VED expired), is not only to make money, but to run in parallell with VED renewal requirements. At 13 months and over their database of vehicles actually 'off road' will already be wildly inaccurate, so having the 12 month renewal helps draw this back. The whole thing stinks, of course - but we've got to work with it whilst it still is a legal requirement.

WITH REGARD TO THE ADVERT THAT APPEARS WITHIN THIS POST, I NEITHER REQUESTED NOR APPROVE OF ITS PLACEMENT WITHIN THIS FORUM POST.

Edited by buzby
Ojection to enforced advert within forum post