Jump to content
  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • Can you ask your GP to get a second opinion on the NHS?  (I ought to know because I'm a retired NHS manager, but worked in mental health where x-rays didn't really feature very much(!).)   Your GP may be reluctant for various reasons but you've got nothing to lose by asking.  Might be difficult if there's only one consultant in that specialty locally.   If that is a non-starter, you could ask your GP for a private referral if any of the relevant specialists run private clinics.  Your son'll get seen quicker and an initial private consultation shouldn't cost more than about a couple of hundred quid.  Then take it from there.   (Emphasise to your GP what your real concerns are and why you have them - even if it's just "I looked it up on the internet and it looks like this which can lead to serious complications.  What do you think?  I'm really worried...")   EDIT:  Just looked on my local NHS Clinical Commissioning Group website and searched for "second opinion" but nothing comes up...  I thought you were entitled to one - you'll have to ask your GP.  Or look on your own CCG site.  Oh - despite being a NHS manager I have paid to see a consultant privately.  £150 well spent - if you can afford it... which I appreciate not everyone can.
    • dont think they are even allowed to offer settlement by instalments, they are not creditors.   read the letter carefully and understand what it doesn't actually say....like the word WILL anywhere.   they,  a DCA, can't recommend anything and their client most certainly wouldn't have disclosed anything to a powerless DCA about what their solicitors might or might not have said to them. and ofcourse a solicitor is in no position whatsoever to suggest to their client they get back to the DCA and tell the DCA to tell you their client will accept instalments!   the letter is a load of ole BS that is concocted by the dca without any input or knowledge of their client nor their clients solicitor...   dx      
    • The paediatric orthopaedic consultant at the fracture clinic told us today that he believes it is just a sprain behind the knee. I'm concerned my GP will say something along the lines of, 'you have seen a consultant, he says it will heal in 2 to 3 weeks, you don't know more than him!', or something like that. It's just that I believe I can clearly see a fracture. And as there was no fall or hard knock, only a very tightly streched knee bending at an angle behind, with a load. I figured that the temdon must have pulled some bone up. And thats the injury I found online. I totally take on board what you are saying. You are correct. I guess I'll see what my GP says tomorrow, hopefully she allows me to email the images, if she doesent have access to them already. Thanks again
    • With the global market for recycled cardboard worth billions of dollars, it is attracting criminals. View the full article
    • UK house prices are predicted to fall but a report spells out why property may remain out of reach. View the full article
  • Our picks

    • Curry’s cancelled my order but took the money anyway. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423055-curry%E2%80%99s-cancelled-my-order-but-took-the-money-anyway/
      • 11 replies
    • Father passed away - Ardent Credit Services (Vodafone) now claiming he owes money. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423040-father-passed-away-ardent-credit-services-vodafone-now-claiming-he-owes-money/
      • 9 replies
    • Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 6 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.
      I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.
      I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.
      No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.
      The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.
      They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.
      They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.
      I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?
      Thanks for reading 
      • 16 replies
style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3653 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts



We have been renting a property for nearly 2 years, we are now around 3 weeks from the end of our second 12 month contract (it runs Sept - Sept.)


Our circumstances with work are likely to change in the next 6 months, which means we will need to relocate - but we are not sure when. We expect to be likely to move between March - July 2011.


We have received a letter from our estate agent (not landlord) requesting us to sign up to another 12 month contract (with 6 month break clause), or to take the letter as 1 month notice.


We would like to stay in the property on a month by month basis, until the time we can confirm our plans - we can give the LL 1 months notice (even though the letter was received 3 weeks before the end of contract...)


We have not been served with an S21.


Are we right to approach the estate agent and reject the 12 month extension, and instead request to move to a "rolling" month to month contract?


We can tell the LL that we might be moving between March - July next year, but we cannot commit right now - and nor can we commit to a 12 month contract.


Any advice very welcome please - we dont want to end up paying double the rent, in case we end up moving (paying on 2 places for several months by signing up for another 12 months) and likewise we dont want to move - as we have been good tenants for the past 2 years! Even the 6 month break clause is not a great option, because we might move in June / july next year, again meaning paying double the rent for several months.


Thanks for any guidance.



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am assuming that your rent is not in excess of £25,000 per annum.


The idea that the agent thinks you should "take this letter as one month's notice" is absolute nonsense. By law, you must be given at least two months notice in any case.


Have you spoken to the agents about your situation? or are they not easy to deal with (despite not knowing the law....)?? You may be able to negotiate a deal with them to sign a 6 month AST to then roll over to a periodic tenancy thereafter - that would give the LL six months stability and should just about fit in with your timetable. You are entitled to know your landlord's name and address and if you write to the agent they must provide it - you could then perhaps contact the LL directly if you feel you are not getting anywhere with the agent.

Kentish Lass

Information given is based on my knowledge and experience and is not to be considered as legal advice

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Rent is less than £25,000 a year.


Thanks for explaining the notice period - its good to know we have at least 2 months, in the event the LL wants us to leave.


We have explained our situation to the agents (they seem ok, but I think keen to make money from us) and they are discussing with the LL, and will get back to us tomorrow. If I dont get a satisfactory response, I will contact the LL directly and explain.


One more question - if the LL agrees to a monthly contract, are the estate agents allowed to charge their fee (which is about £50) to draw up a contract? Or would we even have a new contract if we move onto a monthly one, as I thought this was the default at the end of a 12 month tenancy.


Thanks for your help, I will let you know how I get on.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

A statutory periodic tenancy is what you get by default at the end of a normal tenancy, so no you wouldn't be liable to pay the agent for drawing up a contract which you don't need anyway

They're just trying their luck



Unfortunately i'm not an expert in any given field legally and my advice and that of the Consumer Action Group and the Bank Action Group is given without prejudice and without liability so please if in any doubt whatsoever seek help from an insured qualified professional. Contents of my posts are purely my own personal opinions and not condoned or endorsed in any way, shape or form by CAG. Thank you! :p



I have been smoke-free for 4yrs

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...