• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

welshperson3 v blemain finance - 140A Unfair relationship -started court proceedings

welshperson3
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1855 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

caro please empty your inbox ta

patrickq1

There's a bit of space now.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi WP3, sorry but have been busy yesterday that is why I did not post. Anyways, good to see that you tried your best. I think it is also good that the judge has given you 28 days for a judgment too.

I am sure that you must have given him and Blemain a lot to think about. I understand that if things do not go as you want and the sus repo is not set aside then you wanted to appeal. Well let's just wait and see what the judge comes back with first. I will try and find out as much as I can also about this, but until you know where you stand and what order is made it will be a little difficult. Nevertheless no harm on doing our homework just in case.

Thanks fretful

I think that I have shown the judge that if I am bound by the original judgment then I will continue to be treated unfairly and this in itself is unfair,

But the barrister was pushing hard the out of time issue.

Now the unfair terms in consumer contracts regulations 1999 And the consumer credit act which are there to protect borrowers form unfair terms and practices, were implemented to comply with European directives.

Now if these are not available to me then I am of the opinion that this would be a breach of rights under European law, as there is a responsibility on our government to protect consumers, if this protection is taken away then the government is not complying with their duties.

Consumer rights are there in order to offer protection against unfair service and disreputable traders

The term '' basically means relating to a statute, which in turn is defined as a law enacted by a legislature.

The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations (UTCCRs) seek to protect consumers against unfair standard terms in contracts made with traders that diminish common law and statutory rights. An unfair term is not considered legally binding, as it inflicts unreasonable burdens on the consumer. The definition of an unfair term is a term that "…contrary to the requirement of good faith…causes a significant imbalance in the parties' rights and obligations under the contract, to the detriment of consumers"

Just because there is a judgment on this I cant see how the protection offered under my statutory rights is removed.

wp3

WP3 I understand and agree with you 100% on this, I understand that you are attempting to get the suspended repos set aside and are currently awaiting for the judge to hand down judgment within 28 days.

What I believe your trying to do is mix the original judgment in with unfair terms and conditions and I do not know exactly how to advise on this but will help find the answers and hope others will be able to shed more light on this too. You are trying to get your judgment set aside using the Unfair route. I don't know if anyone has had anything similar but this is a topic and subject that really needs looking in to.

Many of us would like to use the unfair route for future cases and as an arguments we have with our bankers & lenders, and I know that you can open previous agreements using this argument too, but trying to get a judgment overturned or set aside is something I need to find out more.

Well you have a few days and hopefully we can all get our heads together and find some good answers and points.

Sorry fret I think that I have not explained this very well so hope helps

I am not just using the unfair route to get this set aside, even if this is not set aside I want a judgment on whether the agreement is fair

So if we forget the set aside for a moment (as if I never applied for it)

Now I just want a chance to show that this agreement is unfair, so why cant I claim there is an unfair relation ship

Effectively a judgment takes away all your rights under the CCA or any other legislation, ?

Will a court make a declaration on an unfair relationship if I just apply for that?

I have a CCA regulated agreement and I should have all the rights that the CCA are supposed to apply to this agreement.

wp3

Ahhhh that's better as that is what I thought you should be doing. Not to worry as I know sometimes what we mean to say and what we actually write down can sometimes be quite different.

Right, I am OK with that and totally agree with you that the agreement is unfair, as I believe that yours is similar to mine and having read the terms and conditions I can most certainly tell you that many of them are against the OFT guidelines.

Have you had your agreement checked out to see if it does comply?

Hi WP3 just been having a read around to see if there was any info that may be of help.

Challenging County Court Judgments

Identify whether there is any legal merit in raising a challenge to a judgment, to understand the possible

error of law, whether caused by way of an omission or misapplication of the law or facts

http://www.courtsni.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/A9E4F3E5-1BA0-4AC1-94FE-3CCB4FC46664/0/j_j_2010NIMaster2Final.htm

I don't remember but I believe that you mentioned something about dual interest rate applied to your agreement. If you read above article

9] A dual interest rate has been held to be an unfair term within the meaning of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999: Falco Finance Limited v Gough [1999] CCLR 16

Hope this is of some help WP3.?

• 3 weeks later...

Still waiting from the court for news on my set aside.

But still researching the unfair relationship, and I came across this and was wondering if anybody had any info on it.

Blemain finance v Thomas, case from Penzance. (Blemain Finance Limited v Sheila May Thomas)

I know blemain lost this case and were going to appeal but then dropped the appeal.

wp3

• 2 weeks later...
Had two meetings with solicitor he is happy with what i got but he wants a barrister to look things over.

Hopefully i will issue court proceedings by the end of February.

Have been researching and working with solicitor for months so as to get it right think I'm there now.

going for S140 CCA unfair relationship.

If i win I'm sure it will make headlines

blamain lost on unfair relationship to peter Bentley, HE WAS FROM BRIDGEND SO AM I.

any update? did it make 'headlines'?

hi i started a new thred on this the link below

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?272865-sub-prime-lender-(blamain-finance)-140A-Unfair-relationship-started-court-proceedings

have been to court and am wating for the judge to hand down his judgment, due any day now

• 2 weeks later...

update

I have received (judgment) from the court and i know who won, but i have to go back to court for a directions and costs hearing on Wednesday.

in the letter i received from the Court it says "if the party's believe there are any factual issues which are inaccurate would they please inform the court within the next 7 days otherwise the judgment will be handed down on a date to be fixed"

as this judgment has not been handed down yet i don't think i am allowed to post it up here, after it is handed down then it becomes public and i can post it up.

well i am very happy and looking forward to Wednesday, i think this judgment could help others that have been sent an invalid default notice.

WP3

Ok battle won war rages on

As anyone who has read this thread all the way thro will know I had a possession order on my home, now I don’t.

But this is only a very small consolation as what I want most of all is a judgment on an unfair relationship.

Now blemain didn’t want me to get this set aside and have fought hard, sending a London barrister, and for today’s hearing they sent a Cardiff barrister, but at the end of the day if they are not playing by the rules and you can show the judge what they are up to then go for it.

So far this is what I got.

Possession order set aside

Blemain agreeing to the original possession claim being thrown out.

My costs.

Didn’t get all what I claimed in costs, as I claimed for sending letters and dealing with matters that I did before issuing proceedings and the judge would not allow them.

Now what I wanted was the unfair relationship judgment, and as I have had a taste of court and getting what I want, then the unfair relationship is were I am going now.

First I will have to send blemain some letters giving them the chance to put things right, then I send a letter before action, I have no doubt that they will not comply with my requests, hopefully in about 28 days I should be able to start court proceedings on the unfair relationship.

My loan agreement is for 10k, and they spend out on 2 days costs of a London barrister sent to Wales, and a Cardiff barrister for the costs and directions hearing defending this set aside has cost them more than the original loan, now lets see how much they are willing to pay to defend an unfair relationship claim.

I wasn’t confident on the set aside, but I am on the unfair relationship so I am looking to put some money in to legal representation so if anybody has had dealings with a good consumer law barrister or solicitor in south Wales then I would be grateful for a point in the right direction.

I will post up the judgment and some other documents but I will have to edit personal details of them first.

wp3

Good evening everyone,

VERY WELL DONE FOR GETTING THIS GREAT RESULT AGAINST BLEMAIN. As a matter of interest (pardon the pun), but GE Money are terrified of what is happening to Blemain as these two organisations (?) are almost identical in their working.

NOW is the time to start on GE, and I have just done so....

Best wishes to all as always,

Dougal

Update: 2013 Following our recent (9/7/13) hearing about Bank Charges at the Court of Appeal, and refusal to grant permission to Appeal; an Application has just (23/10/2013) been made for a fresh hearing and the Court Location is yet to be confirmed!