Jump to content

One of the tenants didn't pay the rent.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4190 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hi everyone.


I have a question, but first let me explain the situation. We had a contract for Assured Shorthold Tenancy where there was 4 names on the contract. There was a only one standing order from my account. Sometimes other people used to pay me in cash sometimes via Bank Transfer.

As one of the guys broke up with his girlfriend, he has moved out, but there was quite some rent outstanding and I just kept paying for both of them while there where out of work. First he did admit what he owes us, but then he came up with all sort of excuses just to not to pay. All the bills where coming in my name as well.


My question is - if there is four people on the contract is there a legal sort of requirement for them to share the rent? He only paid some 700 quid with bank transfer out of total over 5k of his share. So can I attempt any legal action against him?


At the moment I want to use that just to try to get my 1800 quid back, but if he will not pay I would like to have some back up plan.


Thanks to everyone in advance.


Link to post
Share on other sites

Next time you share - make sure that everyone pays theirs!!! You have been too generous. This person is no longer your friend (money always breaks up friendships...) so - sit down with a calculator and work out exactly what he owes you. Itemise everything - his share of the rent, bills etc. less what he has paid - and make sure it is as accurate as you can possibly be - backing it up with copy bills if possible.


Then send this to him with a letter before action. I suggest you do a moneyclaim online but don't send it off yet - just print it out and enclose it with your letter. All you need to say is that enclosed are details of his liabilities in relation to his share of the flat and that unless you receive the money in cleared funds within say 10 or 14 days you will issue a claim in the small claims court.


You post this at a post office, getting a certificate of posting from the counter. You then post a copy of same either from the same post office the next day, or from another post office - once again getting a certificate of posting. A court is very unlikely to believe that two such letters might "go astray"! A letter sent Recorded or registered post can be refused by the potential recipient.


If you don't get the money - send off the moneyclaim online.

Kentish Lass

Information given is based on my knowledge and experience and is not to be considered as legal advice

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...