ynot420

Dangerous Pine Nuts

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3651 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi all,

I've just recovered from one of the worst experiences of my life, just over 1 week with a bitter taste constantly in my mouth, the cause....rogue Pine Nuts!

It all started last Wednesday, when i started to noticed a bitter taste in my mouth, i figured it'd go away, but it got worse and worse. Obviously by this point i was quite concerned and started to think i could have a serious health problem. I did a little internet research, before i bothered a doctor. The more i read, the more scared i got, heart attack, diabetes, the list went on and on, then when i typed "bitter taste in mouth" into Google, i noticed an article about pine nuts, it caught my eye as i had eaten pine nuts on the Tuesday night before i got developed this bitter taste.

It seems that there is a very recent phenomenon of people developing a bitter taste in their mouth after eating pine nuts, here is a quote from a newspaper article from last may

The first reports of 'pine mouth', as it has been dubbed, began last winter in the U.S. from those who had eaten imported Chinese pine nuts.

Now pine mouth has spread to Britain, and shoppers across the country are experiencing the same disturbing symptoms.

I, too, fell foul of the metal mouth syndrome after eating a few handfuls of pine nuts bought from a supermarket.

Though I regained my taste after eight days, the only thing I could drink during that time was water, and the only food that was bearable was salad leaves smothered in strong balsamic vinegar. Drinking wine was like swallowing liquid metal.

i thought i'd bring this to the attention of the good people of CAG, god knows i wouldn't wish

what i've been through in the last week on my worst enemy.

Has anyone else had any similar experiences?

for more info here are some links

http://journals.lww.com/euro-emergencymed/pages/articleviewer.aspx?year=2001&issue=03000&article=00036&type=fulltext

http://www.hyam.net/blog/archives/60

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1184261/Pine-mouth-puzzle-Why-nuts-leave-bitter-taste.html

Ta. Very useful - I wasn't aware of this.

I had a meeting with a manager at Sainsburys today and also sent this letter to the store manager...

Paul Farzam

Store Manager

Sainsburys

Abbey Trading Centre

Alvechurch Highway

REDDITCH

B97 6RF

Dear Mr Farzam

TASTE DISTURBANCES AFTER PINE NUT CONSUMPTION

I wish to make you aware of a possible issue with one of your products. Notably Pine Nuts from China, I enclose a selection of papers, medical reports and newspaper articles concerning the subject.

In the last week I have personally experienced the symptoms widely reported in the enclosed information. I consumed Pine Nuts, bought from your Redditch Store on 03/08/2010. After 24 hours I started to notice a strange bitter taste in my mouth, this then worsened, to a degree that had no appetite for 3-4 days and could taste nothing for 5 days. As I write I can still faintly detect the strange bitter taste that has plagued me for over a week.

It is very important to note that this is not an allergic reaction to the Pine Nuts themselves, I have eaten pine nuts for many years and never experienced any similar symptoms. It is in-fact a reaction to a substance created by either the oxidization or poor storage of the Pine Nuts, specifically those sourced from China.

I am in no way accusing Sainsburys of knowingly selling substandard goods, I fully expect you to have no prior knowledge of this situation and I am simply writing to make you aware of a problem that you may begin to encounter more frequently should your product sourcing not be altered.

Most importantly I would hope that no more of your customers should have to experience the truly horrible ordeal I have been through in the last week.

I would appreciate being kept informed of your findings and any possible actions taken as a result.

I have always received excellent service from Sainsburys in the past and will continue to be a very satisfied customer in the future.

Yours sincerely

It will be interesting to see their response, i'll keep you updated.