harveymartis

Troubled by british gas

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3633 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi,

i moved into this business in january 2009 and british gas logged inthe change of tenancy in april 2010 all because of there negligence,rude customer service and some irrational behavior. I moved out to the other supplier than as soon as they created an account under my name and now i am content with eon energy.

British gas business previously was: 6450 pounds

as soon as i logged in the change of tenancies: 12300 pounds

reason being they charged me out of contract rates for 15 months and now i feel am beig ripped off here.i am in constant touch with them in regards to the same but just seem to ignore so if i can get some advice on the same.

I shall be more than obliged

If they were cahrging yu a specific rate although no contract was signed, it woudl then becoem a "deemed contract" at those rates. As you left BGAS, they have no right to alter those deemed rates just because you left. Dispute it and continue to dispute it in at leaast three letters. Under no circumstances phone them. If they reject your appeal afte the third attempt, request a deadlock letter. They cannot raise legal action against you while thsi is happening.

what is a deemed contract ? and does any company have a contract on paper format to show a consumer ?

A deemed contract is when there is no formal contract in place. If they billed at a specific rate for several months it is assumed that a deemed contract is in place. If the customer decides to switch suppliers and suddenly the current supplier decides to back bill at out of contract rates this is a big no no legally and the custoerm can challenge it, the current supplier would probably lose in 99% of cases.

I am having a similar problem.

My wife has been paying contract rates which are high since Oct 2008. I recently took over my wife’s business and looked at these rates. So I called BG to tell them I had purchased the business verbally.

They informed me that my wife went into a 3 year contract with them in Oct 08, which she is adamant that she didn't.

I have asked for a recording of this contract and they are saying if it is in place they can not do anything (that’s fine with me) but if the contract is not in place they will put me on out of contract rates and she will end up paying more.

I did argue that if she is out of contract, then they have illegally placed her in a contract which we didn’t agree. So surely they are at fault and why should we pay for there illegal activities. If they had given us the opportunity to agree a contract we would have done so, but with lower rates.

They are saying that this is our fault and we will pay more in the long run, because we have been paying it and this is a “Deemed Contract”

Is this right?

Can they place someone into a contract without telling them and when they realise and contest it; tell them "fine, you will have to pay out of contract rate, as you had no contract with us"?

I am getting very cross with them.

Any help or advice?

The deemed contract rates should be what your wife was paying, however if you are now the owner of said business there will have been a change of tenancy, i.e. the lease is now in your name therefore there is no longer a contract with BGAS. If it is a limited company then I am unsure if you inherit the contract. The out of contract rates will only apply from the date that you took ownership of the company and it may be worth paying the extra just to get shot of BGAS. They cannot retrospectively charge your wife out of contract rates if there is no contract and she is no longer the owner of the business.

Can I suggest you start a new thread and ask the mods to move these posts across to the new thread?

Thanks for that. I will ask the mods.

Also, they are asking for proof of lease transfer. We do not have a lease. I have not even paid for the business, simply taken it over so my wife can look after our 3 kids.

Because of this they are saying they will add me to the current agreement, which I have said no chance, as i am sole owner.

If i cant prove i have taken the business over they are saying that it is tough.

Is this right?

Are you working from home? If not, is there a reason why ther is no lease for the business. I have a very good reason for asking this.

No. It is a hair salon. We don't have a contract as it expired and have decided not to renew it. The reason for this is because we had a 10 year lease for two shops that we converted into 1, and after 5 years business wasn't going as well as we had hoped. So we decided the best way forward was to part shut down one side. The lease ran out several weeks ago. But as we now don't have any lease we have been able to get a new tenent for the other shop. I will however in the new year sign a new lease.