BankFodder BankFodder

Fine&Dandy

Very poor credit rating - can i rent?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3454 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I am 31 years old and have been struggling for many years with a gambling problem - i have defaulted many times, had 1 CCJ and basically paid little or none of my bills for years

Now i have agreements with all my debtors and paid off many with reduced full and final settlements.As i still live at home with my parents this has been a help - now i want to rent a place of my own but im worried my credit rating will stop me

i earn a good wage - amazingly while my personal life was dissolving into oblivion i have had many promotions at work and earn £25k - enough to rent a very nice place

I realise it will be a long, long time until i can get a mortgage but is there any hope of me being able to rent a full furnished apartment? will i need to go through a private landlord or will letting agencies help me if i can prove my wage?

Thanks in advance

Letting agencies do not own properties - they are simply agents letting properties on behalf of private landlords so if you go to a letting agency - you will be renting through a private landlord! However, if you can go direct to a landlord it will be cheaper!!

Your credit rating may well be a serious problem for you - do your parents own their home? would they be prepared to stand guarantor for you? this might help you. You will need to prove your income, and a lot more besides to rent a place. You will also need to find at least two and a half month's rent up front, plus any agency fees. Although you say you are paying off your debts - it sounds as if these debts are not being paid in full. Landlords are not charities and may well be nervous of letting to someone they think might default on the rent. It is hard when you are overcoming your problems, but I would not be helping by lying to you!

Kentish Lass

Information given is based on my knowledge and experience and is not to be considered as legal advice