Jump to content

trying to lease property to the council

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3648 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

i was reading a while ago that if you own your own home, you can lease your home to the local authority. this would be for a minimum period of five years and the local authority will be responsable for all up-keep of the property, and pass the rent payments onto the owner. is this correct or is it just rumours

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites



I am assuming this is a property you don't live in and wish to pursuing letting it vacant to the Council, so they can allocate it to someone.


The short answer is yes, as Councils have been given the powers to do that. It depends if your Council has chosen to do it.


Normally, Councils are keen to address a shortage of social rented housing in their area.


I suggest you check with your local council- someone with responsibility for private housing or homelessness.


Let us know how you get on please and best of luck.


Kind regards, Kennythecelt

Any advice given by me is based solely on my experience in claiming, my experience in CAG or my opinion. I have no legal background. I want to encourage others to reclaim what is theirs.


Got a DCA breaking OFT guidance. Complain to the OFT about the DCA. Help put an end to these practices-




Register with CAG today, its free, its a great community:







Thankyou Kennythecelt:)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...