JonniBravo

Help My partner and I are being called by CSL

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3657 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi, About 7 years ago I got a number of social; fund loans for essential items for the house for me and my son, i was ill at the time and was unable to work and had the repayments taken from my benefits, I recieved a phone call from the department of work and pensions some time last year asking me to pay the remaining balance of £544.

By this time I had worked for a couple of years and forgot about it and was now with my new partner with a baby son who I now stay at home with while my partner works.

I no longer work and have no plans to return to work until our son is at least 6-7 years old.

My partner was not around during the time these social fund loans were taken out, is she responsible for the debt because I have no income.

Also when I recieved the letter I called them straight away(big mistake I know) and advised them I had no income the person on the phone was insistant that my partner is responsible for th debt, I withheld my partners phone number but somehow they have this phone number and they even know my partners name and address and that she is living with me, is this legal and how have they obtaind this information. They called my partner 3 times today and asked her to get me to speak to somneone there as a matter of urgency.

Any help would be appriciated

I have called them and they have said they are going continue to chase the debt saying in the exact words we will not go away, they have also threatend me with court.

Hi Jonnibravo, I wouldn't worry too much about what CSL say. In fact, I would recommend not talking to them again.

As you are not working, I take it you are receiving some type of benefit at the moment? If so, Perhaps the DWP would accept (directly) a token payment of £1 per week towards the social-fund loans?

I cannot comment on whether this type of loan expires after 6 years (statute barred), so I recommend you do a little research on that first/before contacting the DWP.

All the best,

Bill.

Just to add JonniB -

I withheld my partners phone number but somehow they have this phone number

Dialling 141 on a mobile does not with-hold the number, you have to set "with-hold number" in the phone settings. Sorry if you already know this.

and they even know my partners name and address and that she is living with me

192(dot)com may have your details, have a look.

is this legal and how have they obtaind this information

Yes it is legal.

They obtain info from CRA files, Council records, neighbours (which isn't illegal, but is against OFT guidelines) and any other public records they have access to.

bill.

My partner works but we are on a low income and my partner is reluctant to pay my old debts which I understand as she has already paid rent treats and tax

Your partner is not liable for your old debts.

Only if the debt is in joint names, will your partner be liable.

You are entitled to claim tax credits (if you live together as a couple) and child benefit. It will depend on your definition of "low income" as to your entitlement though.