Advice Please re Garage work done

blgtiab
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6402 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I'm wondering if someone could give me advice on work my boyfriend has had done on his BMW 520? His car was overheating whilst on the M6, so he pulled off the motorway and called the AA. They found that it was leaking water and the AA man suggested it could have either been a faulty hose or the water bottle. The car needed an MOT anyway so he took it to a local garage and asked if they could check out what the fault was. They had the car for the day and said it was the radiator, but they couldn't do it then, so he would have to bring it back another day, which he did. He left it with the garage for the full day again, but told them that he definitely needed it back as he had to travel to Kent the following day to see his daughters (he lives in Cheshire). When he went to collect it they told him that they hadn't managed to get the radiator, but that they would definitely have it by the following day. The following day, when he went to collect it, they had replaced the radiator, but said that wasn't what the problem was, it was actually the head gasket that had gone, but that he had also needed the radiator anyway. They agreed that he could just pay £200 for the radiator instead of the £250 he had been quoted, but they couldn't fix the head gasket there so he would need to take it to another garage. He was absolutely fuming at this and more so because they hadn't phoned to tell him before they fitted the radiator that the head gasket had gone.

Does anyone know whether there is anything he can do with regards to the garage not confirming what the actual problem was prior to fitting the radiator? He has not paid the garage for the radiator yet, he has left it with them until he can find a suitable place (and the money) to get the head gasket fixed?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going through something very similar myself at the moment, but I'm working under USA consumer laws! Anyway, here's my tuppence worth:

1. The garage may be in breech of a verbal contract to have had the car fixed by the original date specified. It might be difficult to prove this, but might be a good approach in a preliminary letter asking for a refund (e.g. "In our initial discussion, you promised that the car would be fixed by..."). Based on this you might be able to claim money from them for the cost of a rental car or something?

2. When your husband picks up the car, make sure he gets the old radiator so that if need be in future, another mechanic can inspect it to find out if the work genuinely was necessary. Don't give them time to put screwdriver holes in it, as my garage did!!!

3. Get a couple of free estimates from a few garages. It sounds like these monkeys don't know one end of his 520 from the other! Definately worth getting a couple of opinions before comitting to more unecessary work.

edinburghbeerbucket :D