• Tweets

• What's the reason for not wanting a smart meter? Personally I'm saving a pile on a tariff only available with one. Today electricity is 17.17p/kWh. If the meter is truly past its certification date the supplier is obliged to replace it. If you refuse to allow this then eventually they'll get warrant and do so by force. Certified life varies between models and generations, some only 10 or 15 years, some older types as long as 40 years or maybe even more. Your meter should have its certified start date marked somewhere so if you doubt the supplier you can look up the certified life and cross check.
    • No I'm not. Even if I was then comments on this forum wouldn't constitute legal advice in the formal sense. Now you've engaged a lawyer directly can I just make couple of final suggestions? Firstly make sure he is fully aware of the facts. And don't mix and match by taking his advice on one aspect while ploughing your own furrow on others.  Let us know how you get on now you have a solicitor acting for you.
    • Oil and gold prices have jumped, while shares have fallen.View the full article
    • Thank you for your reply, DX! I was not under the impression that paying it off would remove it from my file. My file is already trashed so it would make very little difference to any credit score. I am not certain if I can claim compensation for a damaged credit score though. Or for them reporting incorrect information for over 10 years? The original debt has been reported since 2013 as an EE debt even though they had sold it in 2014. It appears to be a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 Section 13 and this all should have come to a head when I paid the £69 in September 2022, or so I thought. The £69 was in addition to the original outstanding balance and not sent to a DCA. Even if I had paid the full balance demanded by the DCA back in 2014 then the £69 would still have been outstanding with EE. If it turns out I have no claim then so be it. Sometimes there's not always a claim if there's blame. The CRA's will not give any reason for not removing it. They simply say it is not their information and refer me to EE. More to the point EE had my updated details since 2022 yet failed to contact me. I have been present on the electoral roll since 2012 so was traceable and I think EE have been negligent in reporting an account as in payment arrangement when in fact it had been sold to a DCA. In my mind what should have happened was the account should have been defaulted before it was closed and sold to the DCA who would then have made a new entry on my credit file with the correct details. However, a further £69 of charges were applied AFTER it was sent to the DCA and it was left open on EE systems. The account was then being reported twice. Once with EE as open with a payment arrangement for the £69 balance which has continued since 2013 and once with the DCA who reported it as defaulted in 2014 and it subsequently dropped off and was written off by the DCA, LOWELL in 2021. I am quite happy for EE to place a closed account on my credit file, marked as satisfied. However, it is clear to me that them reporting an open account with payment arrangement when the balance is £0 and the original debt has been written off is incorrect? Am I wrong?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Welcome and Car Repossession - Recsission of Contract?

fhall315
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4999 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can anyone help with Welcome Finance please?

Have a car with Welcome which I bought in September 2006 on HP Agreement. Original agreement was for 4 years but then they KINDLY offered to reduce my payments as I was struggling and redid the agreement for lower payments but over 10 years! I signed without actually looking at the terms. 2nd agreement does not have any date on it so can't remember when I did this.

Anyhow, stuck to payments on new agreement and then fell behind a little, possibly 3 months. Then started paying again. Last couple months renaiged again as lost job. Got a default notice dated 16th July giving me 14 days to remedy - no number date just 14 days. Then got termination of contract letter dated 31st July sent 2nd class post. On Thursday, recovery guys came to get my car which is parked on my private drive diagonally so they can't actually get to it thankfully.

Called Welcome to try and negotiate with them but they said no I need to pay full balance or at least full arrears which had gone up by a couple hundred. Told them I can't and they said well hand the car over.

I said can't take it off private drive and they threatened court order to do so. I haven't paid over a third yet. I said I will bring the car back to them but now regret saying it after reading on here.

What can I do? I can't lose my car as work nightshifts and need it for work and to get kids to school.

Can anyone help please? I haven't got a lot of time.

Verbal agreements mean nothing, if there is nothing in writing saying you are handing the car back then dont! They will need a court order to get the car off your drive as you probably already know. Everything needs to be in writing for your protection. Ill send wannabedebtfreesoon over to have a read now as she is in court over a car being taken from her private property :)

I am a consumer just like you, please get a second opinion or investigate yourself on anything I advise as I am in no way legally trained. Everything I know has come from the Mighty CAG and fellow CAGGERS. :cool:

If I have helped in any way please click my reputation star and make a donation to CAG to enable us all to continue to help each other :cool:

Hi Beyondhope,

That was quick. Thank you. I do know they can't take it but this is Welcome and I do keep expecting to get up one morning and it be gone!. Do you know how long it takes for them to get a court order and if it can be challenged in court first?

What I am trying to see is if I can send them a letter or something to put the ball back in their court. I have read through numerous threads and found a few templates but not sure they are relevant to me specifically. Don't want to send off the wrong thing with these guys.

Im not really in a position to advise on the whole return of goods order which is why Ive PM'd wannabedebtfreesoon as she is alot more knowledgeable on the subject :)

An SAR will give you everything they hold on you including contracts, statements, computer notes etc I think this may be a good idea to at least get the information of what date you signed the contract and any charges that have been added that can be credited back to the agreement. Problem being this takes time as they have 40days to respond. The template for this is HERE

CCA request may be of more use as it takes 14days and will at least give you the contract information of the latest agreement.

I cant really advise any further because id hate to give you the wrong information, but standard court documents are along the lines of claim in......given 14 days to submit acknowledgement of service, further 14 days to submit defence (total 28 days) so I would imagine you have a couple of wks to get the ball rolling just my opinion of course :)

I am a consumer just like you, please get a second opinion or investigate yourself on anything I advise as I am in no way legally trained. Everything I know has come from the Mighty CAG and fellow CAGGERS. :cool:

If I have helped in any way please click my reputation star and make a donation to CAG to enable us all to continue to help each other :cool:

yay the cavalry are here, I will leave you in wannabe's capable hands :) ill still be lurking and if i can help ill join in :)

LOL you crazy nutjob! Got your pm :-)

You havent even seen the email ive sent you and you are calling me a nutjob :lol: Im in a good mood today, so today is the day to finalise my AQ :D Im off to make bacon and mushroom sarnies back soon!!!

I have too!! mmmmm...bacon and mushroom...I'm off to the shops to buy vodka :lol:

oooo send me some!! ive not even got a bottle of wine!! all I have is the champers I got given at my party but im saving that for a special occasion ;)

Hi Wannabedebtfreesoon,

Thanks for jumping in on this and for the fun and frivolity along the way - makes it all a bit less miserable to deal with, lol. To be honest, I haven't got a clue how much I paid on first agreement although probably a fair bit - was at least a couple years worth. Sorry, I am awful with money and paperwork - not my forte. I did actually wonder if we take the first agreement into account when calculating if paid a third or not. Would they include the overall figure in default notice or just the figure from current agreement?

God, I hate this company and hate dealing with them - so cocky and even talking to their manager last week he got himself all twisted up!! Did mention to him that the law allows 2 working days for 1st class and 4 working days for 2nd class (thanks to CAG) and he said it is from the date of Default it is calculated - complete tosh. Also, told me that Recoveries Dept at Head Office didn't have an external email address - rubbish again. Aaaargh!!

All help very much appreciated.

if you do a sar as advised above you should get a full break down of all payments made towards both the original and modified agreements, this should also give you some rough idea of how long you have been paying, then a good idea is to cross check it with your bank statements, if you have online banking this will be easy if not pm me for details of how to get your statements without having to pay the £10 per statement some banks charge.

your more immediate problem is preventing the repo of the car, they can't take it off private property without a court order, if they do you'll be in the same boat as wannabe and you'll have them right where you want them but if you wish to avoid the inconvenience i'd suggest keeping the vehicle on a freinds drive or ideally in a garage.

then they will have to seek a court order and you will be able to apply for a time order, this is where again, it's time to hand over to wannabe.

out of interest do you know if you have paid one third of the total amount repayable on your agreement?

Hi Wannabedebtfreesoon,

Thanks for jumping in on this and for the fun and frivolity along the way - makes it all a bit less miserable to deal with, lol. To be honest, I haven't got a clue how much I paid on first agreement although probably a fair bit - was at least a couple years worth. Sorry, I am awful with money and paperwork - not my forte. I did actually wonder if we take the first agreement into account when calculating if paid a third or not. Would they include the overall figure in default notice or just the figure from current agreement?

God, I hate this company and hate dealing with them - so cocky and even talking to their manager last week he got himself all twisted up!! Did mention to him that the law allows 2 working days for 1st class and 4 working days for 2nd class (thanks to CAG) and he said it is from the date of Default it is calculated - complete tosh. Also, told me that Recoveries Dept at Head Office didn't have an external email address - rubbish again. Aaaargh!!

All help very much appreciated.

The law states that if you paid a third on EITHER your first OR your modifying agreement then they cannot repo without a court order, Section 90 of the CCA 1974 will apply. Did you have any insurances on either agreement??

This is a very familiar story, strangely exactly the same happened to me! Only difference is the next step was they employed a different bunch of bully boys who were unscrupulous enough to come on to my property and take the car; now look where that got them! :lol:

Hi Cyril,

I will send an SAR off today - that way it will all be a bit clearer in my mind. Wannabe - sorry I don't think I have a third on either agreement although definitely both together!! Thankfully, the recovery guys are actually really nice and don't like Welcome either (their words). They know they can't just take it from my drive and to be honest they wouldn't be able to unless they could drive it off as not only do I have a deep drive I also have a wall right across it! They would cause serious damage if they tried to get their lorry onto it.

So, do I also quickly send off a Recission of Contract letter which I have seen Postgg advise some people to do. I want Welcome to know that I am not a pushover! My Default Notice is not number dated just 14 days. I have no insurances on this to claim back as I refused it thankfully.

Hi Cyril,

I will send an SAR off today - that way it will all be a bit clearer in my mind. Wannabe - sorry I don't think I have a third on either agreement although definitely both together!! Thankfully, the recovery guys are actually really nice and don't like Welcome either (their words). They know they can't just take it from my drive and to be honest they wouldn't be able to unless they could drive it off as not only do I have a deep drive I also have a wall right across it! They would cause serious damage if they tried to get their lorry onto it.

So, do I also quickly send off a Recission of Contract letter which I have seen Postgg advise some people to do. I want Welcome to know that I am not a pushover! My Default Notice is not number dated just 14 days. I have no insurances on this to claim back as I refused it thankfully.

That's ok, it can't hurt to double check though. A third of the first agreement would've been roughly 16 payments depending on your deposit.

Not sure about the recission of contract letter, it's up to you of course, personally I can't see what it would gain as they're too thick to understand anyway! See what others think though.

Just whatever you do keep that car off the road or they will snatch it! I suspect their new plan is to wait until the car's on the road then snatch it while you are not looking. I doubt very much they'll go for a court order, it doesn't appear to be something they do very often but I could be wrong. It may end up being down to you to apply for the order if they refuse to negotiate.

i wouldn't bother with the recession of contract letter my experience/opinion is that postggg had a habit of jumping the gun on that one.

as it's unclear how much you have paid on the agreement and how far off (or over) 1/3rd you are i think it's just a case of trying to avoid/delay repo untill you get your sar back.

in the meantime just pay whatever you can towards your monthly payments, even if it's no where near the agreed monthly payment just ring up and insist that they take the payment, if you can, record the calls where you offer payment and make welcome aware at the start of the call that they are being recorded, you will then be able to use this as evidence if you apply for a time order that you have tried to make payment but welcome have refused to take your payments forcing your arrears to increase beyond a realistic level that you would be able to clear.

it's not a cast iron defence to a repo but if you can show that welcome refused your offers of payment in order to inflate your arrears it doesn't look as good for them as you refusing to make any payment at all and may help your case for a time order.

witholding payment can work in your favour in some cases but it is a high risk strategy and the recession of conract letter postggg has banded about has ben proven to be lacking in any legal basis and pretty much carries no weight legally so you risk shooting yourself in foot if you choose that route.

just delay repo, pay what you can, get that sar then come back and see what we can come up with once we have the full facts in front of us.

Thanks for replies. I have done SAR and now wait for 40 days. Only worrying this is I really need my car and although it is on my drive I still need to drive it around various parts of town which means parking it on public roads. Will they follow me? Will make the usual monthly payment end of this month and see what happens.

Latest update. Had a call from Welcome this morning to ask when I will be taking car back in to which I replied I won't. She then said we will get repo guys to come and get it and I told her it was on my private drive and they can't. She then said they can take it off my drive. I told her no it's unlawful and she passed me to their very helpful, friendly manager (NOT) who said he will pay the repo guys to sit and watch me until I move it off the drive. I told him I would put it in the garage and he will have to get a court order to get it. He said "Well, that won't be happening, will it?" He then asked me when I will be making a payment? To an agreement that is terminated?

I did actually say I would be paying when we get paid on 25th. He then said call us on 25th.

It's a real nightmare if I can't use my car but I don't want to go somewhere and come out and find my car gone especially since I have young children!! What is my next move guys - any ideas?

They said they can take it off your drive??? Are they seriously still spouting that crap?? I am going to say LOL and I really mean it!!

lol-045.gif

It's up to you what you want to do now, you can continue paying if you want as that will immediately invalidate the termination or you could apply for a time order.

They really said' "well we're not going to do that are we?"???!!!

lol-045.gif

Hi Wannabe

Yes, they really did say all of that!!! Glad I cheered you up with those little comments.

I would really like to keep my car and am happy to continue paying them including extra for arrears and will make that payment on 25th. I presume if they accept this payment it then renders the termination null and void??? Did have a strange call from chap who said he was Progressive Finance asking if he could come and collect the car and I told him that no I will not be handing it over and I thought he was from CTR Recoveries. He was the guy who came to my door on Monday who said he was nothing to do with Welcome???? Think they are playing silly games again. Told him my car is in the garage and will have to get a court order. God, it's like being in a psychological debate quiz thingy!!!

Playing silly games is all they know how to do! That's one of the reasons they're going down the pan.

If you make any payment the previous default notice will be invalid and you will be in effect not accepting the termination. If they want to terminate again they will have to send you another accurate up to date default and then terminate again.

If I were you I'd write and make whatever offer you are happy with and ask that they accept in writing, they are very good at going back on what they say on the phone you need written proof of everything.

I am currently suing them for taking my car off my drive so for them to be still saying they can do it is absolutely laughable!! It's just the usual lying, cheating, empty threats that they are well known for!