Jump to content

Refusal of payment from social fund(community care grant)


style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4181 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Can someone please give advise to my young nephew. He is 18 and after a fall out with his mother and step father he was told to leave the house asap. Luckily, 8 months ago he had applied for a flat with the council and recently was given the keys to his new home. He is unemployed, not through his choice and is a sensible kid, doesnt drink alcohol and doesnt do drugs. He applied for a payment from the social fund for a community care grant for the following reasons:

A. He has no money, apart from his unemployment benefit.

B. He desperately needs furnishings for his flat ie couch, bed, cooker, carpets etc.

C. His mother and step father refuse to help him in any way.


He applied for the above grant but was refused any payment. He is at his wits end and wishes to appeal against this decision.


Any information on how to write a letter of appeal or copy of template letter would be most appreciated to try and help this sensible young man.


Many thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A CCG from the Social Fund carries no right of appeal - but it does carry the right to review.


He would need to write to the office which refused his decision, requesting a review within 28 days. He needs to tell them why he disagrees with the decision (challenging the reasons given in the letter for refusal).


If they still refuse, there is a further right to review to the Independent Review Service - I've put the application form in the link. They will only consider a review if a review has already been carried out by the Social Fund.


In order to receive a CCG, he needs to be in receipt of one of the following qualifying benefits, receiving payment on account of one of these benefits, or likely to begin receving one of these benefits within 6 weeks from the date he made his claim for a CCG:


Income Support, income-related Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, Pension Credit.


and one of the following must apply to him (in applying for furniture):



  • moving out of residential or institutional care to live independently
  • moving to a new home which will be more suitable for him following an unsettled period in your life and he is being resettled by an organisation like a local council or voluntary organisation
  • needs help to stay in hishome and not go into residential care or hospital
  • needs help because him and his family (only applicable if he has responsibility for children living with him) face exceptional pressure, such as family breakdown or because he has a long-term illness



If the qualifying benefits or conditions above do not apply to him, he would not be eligible for a Community Care Grant but he could request a budgeting loan instead if he has been getting a qualifying benefit continuously for 26 weeks or longer. The maximum he would get would be £348 as a single person for a budgeting loan.


Failing either of these options there is freecycle (also known in some areas as "freegle") - type into google. These are websites run by local communities aimed at stopping items from going to landfill. People place ads to give things away (for free) and people can also place "wanted" ads. Sometimes some pretty good stuff is given away there. Also, it may be worthwhile him contacting the local council. Some councils run similar schemes.


My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.



Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)





Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...