Details when opening a new bank account

Mrs E Blackadder

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4178 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, this is just a quicky really, but hope someone has an answer.

I am thinking of opening a parachute account with another bank just so that I have another account for emergencies. On the application form it asks for my employer, fair enough, but as I work in an establishment dealing with vulnerable children what I would like to know is whether or not information about your employer ever shows up on your credit report? What I don't want is the likes of debt collectors looking at my credit report and being able to see who my employers are and then trying to contact me via the establishment. Many DCAs are still looking for my ex and have tried to find him via me.

Also, it wants details of the account I have with my current bank. What sort of information will they want from my current bank? The account is in good order, but I don't want the new bank (not related to my current bank in anyway) being able to access my account.

I know it all sounds very paranoid, but going through all these debt problems have made me very jumpy and I just want to know what sort of information can be given to 3rd parties without my consent.

Hi there Mrs B

You are right to be concerned about the use of personal information- so many people give it away without a seconds thought- and you have special issues that concern you.

Information about your employer will not show up on a credit report. I have used the free Experian credit check and I can confirm that to be the case.

What type of info are the new bank asking for in relation to your present one? They certainly need sort code and account number to arrange a transfer of account including any payments you have coming off it and income going into it. If you go ahead and transfer to a new account please keep a careful eye on it for the first few months to check that the correct payments are being taken and credits made- otherwise, unexpected overspends need to be repaid later.

Kind regards,kennythecelt.

• Haha 1

Any advice given by me is based solely on my experience in claiming, my experience in CAG or my opinion. I have no legal background. I want to encourage others to reclaim what is theirs.

Got a DCA breaking OFT guidance. Complain to the OFT about the DCA. Help put an end to these practices-

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/letter-templates/155095-complain-oft-about-unfair.html#post1652270

Register with CAG today, its free, its a great community:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/register.php

[email protected].

Thankyou Kennythecelt:)

All Metro Bank wanted from me was a copy of my passport and a bank statement. This was for their basic account, which they don't run a credit check on. Luckily I work very near their Southampton Row, London branch. I don't know what they want if you try to join online, or even if they let you do that.

Hi, thanks Kenny and Sillygirl for your replies.

I have actually started another thread relating to this topic, because I don't actually want to transfer anything from my old bank account at the moment. I was going to open a new current account to pay the maintenance money into, hopefully helping me to budget things more clearly, but it seems that you can't open another current account without them wanting you to close your old one and transfer everything! If that's the case, I will just stick to my old one and learn to do spreadsheets :)

I did have a look at the website for Metro Bank as everyone seems to be talking about it, but they aren't doing anything on-line at the moment. I'm nowhere near to a branch to go in, so maybe I will just wait a couple of months and see how they go on with sorting out on-line banking. I suppose a basic bank account would be perfectly ok, so long as it comes with a debit card and the opportunity to set up direct debits/standing orders should the need arise. Sillygirl, do you know if they will accept other forms of identity other than a passport? Mine ran out last year and I can't afford to replace it at the moment!