Codes of conduct for Debt collectors

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5004 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Im not sure if this has been mentioned before but most debt collectors have to adhere to codes of practices put in place by the CSA (Credit services Association).

There website is http://www.csa-uk.com

Most debt collection agencies are members and have to follow the procedures of the csa.

Its worth while checking to see if the debt collector is a member.

http://www.csa-uk.com/uk-members-list

If they are you can check if they have breached the code of practice and use their complaints form

both links accessable from http://www.csa-uk.com/page/codes-and-standards

You can contact the CSA for more information on 0191 286 5656 or send an email to [email protected]

Thought this may be usefull

Paul

Guest Cartaphilus

Yes, there are Codes of Conduct but ... I think 'Conduct Unbecoming' because how many here or know that they do not 'adhere' to the codes of anything they subscribe to - least of all the OFT ones - when persuing a debt. Thing is, they ought to know these codes before becoming a debt collecting agency, but time and time again it's proven they don't appear to ... well, care TBH.

The CSA is run by a guy who's debt collecting firm has been warned by the OFT over its many nefarious practises & as I understand it during its existence only 1 firm has been de-registered yet continues to trade

Guest Cartaphilus

To add to that: but when someone (as there have been many cases of, but because they don't often get reported because of how people in debt are mostly perceived when you are in debt - ie you failed in life, now it's up to you to sort it out ... wrong, you are a human being trying to survive, who has more than likely into things through no fault nor reasonable control of their own (no one can predict they will have a job tomorrow for tomorrow) and I doubt anyone pursuing debts can hold their hands up and say they don't have at least one debt to their name, either) is hounded to the brink of suicide by debt collecting agencies ... These codes mean nothing. It's the self reliance on the psychological terrorism that motivates most, because they know how to use these methods to their full extent and unless you find somewhere like this forum you will be none the wiser to.

TBH, a bigger stick is needed and long overdue to get this industry to stop doing what it's been doing and thriving on for years. Plenty of fairnesss is needed, but one doubts if that is a word we will ever hear or see where debt is concerned. Fear, harassment.

Edited by Cartaphilus

To add to that: but when someone (as there have been many cases of, but because they don't often get reported because of how people in debt are mostly perceived when you are in debt - ie you failed in life, now it's up to you to sort it out ... wrong, you are a human being trying to survive, who has more than likely into things through no fault nor reasonable control of their own (no one can predict they will have a job tomorrow for tomorrow) and I doubt anyone pursuing debts can hold their hands up and say they don't have at least one debt to their name, either) is hounded to the brink of suicide by debt collecting agencies ... These codes mean nothing. It's the self reliance on the psychological terrorism that motivates most, because they know how to use these methods to their full extent and unless you find somewhere like this forum you will be none the wiser to.

TBH, a bigger stick is needed and long overdue to get this industry to stop doing what it's been doing and thriving on for years. Plenty of fairnesss is needed, but one doubts if that is a word we will ever hear or see where debt is concerned. Fear, harassment.

Agreed Prison should beckon for those miscreants who abuse their position by misleading unsophisticated consumers as to their rights. I'd also like to see more use of the 2006 Fraud Act which they will fall foul of if they mislead people into paying when they don't have to

well in my own experience I have complained through the CSA complaints form on a couple of occasions and it has been resolved shortly after which has been more speedier than the OFT in thows cases.

Guest Cartaphilus
Agreed Prison should beckon for those miscreants who abuse their position by misleading unsophisticated consumers as to their rights. I'd also like to see more use of the 2006 Fraud Act

Some of the things I've been told on the phone, and I know others have had ... having your children taken into care, or going to prison being another for not paying your debt, something I was told a while ago by one very well known DCA on the phone I was utterly amazed at the gaul and how they considered they could get away with it ... I would definitely like to see some action taken over because that is out and out intimidation and would be treated as such in any other walk of life.

Guest Cartaphilus
well in my own experience I have complained through the CSA complaints form on a couple of occasions and it has been resolved shortly after which has been more speedier than the OFT in thows cases.

Well, I suppose it could be a case of it working for some but not everyone. If that makes sense?