bloomingflower

Advice about claiming industrial injuries disablement benefit

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3658 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi all

Please could someone in the know give me some advice on behalf of my husband about claiming this type of benefit?

My husband just recently had an inguinal hernia repair which he required through an accident while he was at work. He is a delivery driver which also requires him to do a lot of heavy lifting/awkward manual handing of industrial tools etc..At the time of his accident,he was lifting/pushing a 300lb site vault onto his transit tail-lift. My husband is signed off work for another month due to post surgical complications. We have since been advised that due to his accident he can claim this type of benefit.

I rang the benefits office and they have sent my husband a form to fill in. What level of disability in percentages would he be classed as? we are not quite sure,as on the directgov website it says there are different levels of disability ranging from 20% to100%.

We just need a little bit of help filling in the form.

many thanks for any replies in advance bf x

It's 1% to 100%. The prescribed degrees of disablement for IIDS are outlined in schedule 2 of The Social Security (General Benefit) Regulations 1982. They are viewable here

To qualify for Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit disablement must be assessed at 14% or more. Disablement between 1% and 13% is not compensated for except for pneumoconiosis, byssinosis or mesothelioma where it must be at least 1%.

Not on the topic of benefit, more employment in itself - was your husband given any manual handling training?

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

It's 1% to 100%. The prescribed degrees of disablement for IIDS are outlined in schedule 2 of The Social Security (General Benefit) Regulations 1982. They are viewable here

To qualify for Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit disablement must be assessed at 14% or more. Disablement between 1% and 13% is not compensated for except for pneumoconiosis, byssinosis or mesothelioma where it must be at least 1%.

Not on the topic of benefit, more employment in itself - was your husband given any manual handling training?

Hi Erika

thank you for your reply and the link above..no ,my husband has not been on any type of manual handling training during the 7 years he has been there.

bf x

In that case, I'd strongly recommend you post about this lack of training which has led to injury in the Employment subforum. If he has suffered loss of earnings or loss of faculty as a result of his injury, he may have a case against his employers. As far as I am aware, for any work which involves manual handling of large loads, manual handling training is mandatory - though our Employment subforum folks will probably be more knowledgable in commenting on this. Even if you have no interest in pursuing this now, it could be handy if you need to raise this in future.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

Hello Erika and blooming flower. I am guilty for suggesting Bf should contact this forum about the injury benefit because it didn't seem to come under the employment forum. We've been trying our best, but this part of it seemed to come under the government ambit. Sorry if I got it wrong.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

No, the IIDB does come under benefits - I was advising her to post in the employment forum about the injury sustained at work in view of the lack of manual handling training. I didn't realise the lady had already posted there - my apologies. Thank you for pointing the lady here for IIDB.

Hi, I have been awarded industrial injuries benefit as being 28% disabed. I have to attend yearly medicals.

I dont actually benefit from it though because I claim Employment support allowance and they take the money out of my benefit.

When I first claimed it the DWP told me it wouldnt affect my benefits but hey were wrong.